News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

To Inspire...
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
Someone recently asked my opinion on whether they should write a book about a particular golf course architect. They believed that the gentleman was more than noteworthy enough, that there has never been anything published about him and that he felt very compelled to do it. On top of that it wouldn't be his first golf book and so is very aware of the process involved.

Still he holds back and is reticent about making the commitment.

Therefor I was wondering who or what in golf's long history might be a great subject for a book. Remember, their story must be compelling and it must be marketable.

So who or what should this next great golf history book be about? Let's inspire someone to do it...

wsmorrison

Re: To Inspire...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
If not about a particular architect,

The gentleman amateur architects in America (Leeds, Fownes, Crump, Wilson, Thomas, etc)

Golfing societies in the UK and the US (e.g. Match Play, Port, Ozone, Divotees, etc)

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
Assuming that a proper Colt book is in the works, the subject I would choose is Fowler.  Though, I also like the idea of a book about some of the great golfing societies.  I would add The Leatherjackets, Moles, OxBridge and one or two others. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
Also the Marylebone Cricket Club Golf Society.  That's a great group of gentlemen!

Sean,

Great idea on Colt.  I hope there's a book being done on the man.  In the meantime, I have a number of club histories with courses by Colt.  That helps...for now.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
Wayne:

Wow; I was thinking of what I consider to be a great subject and lo and behold you mentioned it in your first sentence on post #1-----eg the so called gentleman amateur/sportsman architect who seemingly filled such an important and perhaps transition roll during a fascinating time in the early evolution of golf and architecture in this country and perhaps in England too. The extra interesting part or point is those famous few of them created such enduring courses and architecture that still are and probably always will be right up there near the top of what is considered to be the best in the world.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:31:27 AM »
Hey, Tom.  Well, I got the idea from you. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
I'll take the opposite tack and say, today's architects, great and small.  Why not address the issues of the day and the women and men who contend with them?  Keep it real, keep it breathing, keep it smelling like Axe, not mustiness.  For volume two, take your gentlemen architects and run with them.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
How about the women of GCA. Alice Dye perhaps?
 Other than that, who's story is compelling and marketable?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
Just stealing from Wayne here, but speaking as a parochial Philly guy, but a book (or even an article) on the Divotees would be amazing. 

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
Wayne touched on what I'd most like to see - something on the two amateurs who created two of the highest ranked courses, Fownes and Crump.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
Bill Diddel
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Burzynski

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
Diddel was a great sports star in his own right outside of golf, especially in basketball in the early 1900's.  He is a lesser known architect in the Midwest, and was a heck uva golfer even late in life routinely shooting in the 70's and 80's.  Probably a good ole Midwestern boy story to tell there somewhere.

But to be honest, a book on Diddel probably would have limited appeal outside of Indiana and golf course architecture fanatics.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
But to be honest, a book on Diddel probably would have limited appeal outside of Indiana and golf course architecture fanatics.

As opposed to Fownes and Crump who undoubtedly have worldwide appeal.  ???
Diddlel was also a smart dude and inventor. He wasn't some malcontent who went around putting bunkers in places where he got beat from.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »
I always thought Mike Strantz would be an interesting subject.

The architecture was original, there is lots of information available, most courses are intact with notes or plans available for review, and some element of controversy makes for a good read.

John Burzynski

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »

As opposed to Fownes and Crump who undoubtedly have worldwide appeal.  ???
Diddlel was also a smart dude and inventor. He wasn't some malcontent who went around putting bunkers in places where he got beat from.  ;D

Garland:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be one of the first to buy his book, my home course is a Diddel design, and as a fellow Hoosier he would be interesting, but beyond peach baskets and dirt floors at Wabash U., as well as shooting his age in golf until he was in his 80's and 90's, well, not sure there is a nationwide best seller there.

Diddel seems very interesting from what I have read about him, come to think of it I haven't ever read anything in depth longer than a few web pages about his life.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 12:30:15 AM »
Yes, I also think from what I've heard about Strantz, that he would be a good subject of a book, with the added inspriration of him working through his agony of illness. 

I wonder if Des Muirhead would also be interesting to research. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back