News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BVince

Re: Is the 17th at Cypress a Great Hole or an Obstacle Course?
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »
My vote is great hole
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jim Nugent

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
How far do you have to carry your tee shot, if you want to drive the green?  Looks awfully long. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
How far do you have to carry your tee shot, if you want to drive the green?  Looks awfully long. 

Calling Mike "the Silver Fox and Google Earth King" Benham....

I'm guessing the carry to clear the seawall from the back tees is at least 300 yards.  But Mike - or someone else with Google Earth properly configured - can tell us....

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

Google Earth says about 335 from the back tees(to carry front bunker)...and 10 yards or so shorter from the whites.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
Cool -thanks, Kalen.  SO... if 335 yard carries are normal, well then there's not many golf holes that can hold up.  The good news is that the universe of golfers for whom a 335 yard carry is realistic remains pretty small still, no?

So methinks this great golf hole is still relevant.  And like I say, if those who can carry the ball 335 now have a cool option, what's the harm?  I think I'll take my 240 out into the fairway and take my chances against such a player... if he drives the green, bully for him, he deserves to win the hole.

TH

Tim Bert

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
We haven't even talked about the potential for playing a giant hook or slice AROUND the trees.  Even more options!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
My home course, Stillwater C.C. (Minn.) has a 287-yard uphill par 4 that I and my fellow single-digit seniors can't drive no matter how hard we swing or how pure we hit it. We've also got a couple of  young guys here who routinely drive the hole.

CPC #17 will always be a great hole for 99 percent of the golf world. I couldn't care less if J.B. TigerBubba can carry the green.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back