News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

"If I may be allowed, en passant, to express an opinion, I consider that Huntercombe is easily the best-laid-out links I have ever played over, anywhere.  There, in order to negotiate the round properly, you must be a master in the art of both scientific slicing and pulling, and be able to get the full measure of every conceivable stroke that occurs in the game, or else be subject to some penalty -- in short, every shot has to be played for all it is worth.  That is golf --  GOLF, in large roman capital letters."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:07:20 PM by JMorgan »

Thomas MacWood

Re: Who said it?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
Travis?

JMorgan

Re: Who said it?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
Walter Travis is correct. 

DMoriarty

Re: Who said it? A: Walter Travis, Dec. 1901. And do you agree?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
Thanks for posting the quote.

I don't know anything about Huntercrombe, but I disagree with the general sentiment.   There is more to golf than being able to get full measure out of every shot. 

It would be interesting to know more about Huntercrombe at the turn of the century though, to better understand what Travis thought was state of the art at the turn of the century.   
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Who said it? A: Walter Travis, Dec. 1901. And do you agree?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
I absolutely love the phrase "... master in the art of both scientific slicing and pulling..."  :)
jeffmingay.com

Ajay Yadav

Re: Who said it? A: Walter Travis, Dec. 1901. And do you agree? Is that GOLF?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
"If I may be allowed, en passant, to express an opinion, I consider that Huntercombe is easily the best-laid-out links I have ever played over, anywhere.  There, in order to negotiate the round properly, you must be a master in the art of both scientific slicing and pulling, and be able to get the full measure of every conceivable stroke that occurs in the game, or else be subject to some penalty -- in short, every shot has to be played for all it is worth.  That is golf --  GOLF, in large roman capital letters."

Agree whole-heartedly with the above. Too often, I have found courses to be dumbed down... and not enough of a challenge.    A course can be strategic, but also demanding and if the golfer fails either in the mind or in execution... he should be ready to pay a price...whether its a half stroke or a full stroke..... 

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
I too love that remark.

But the flipside, OF COURSE ;) is what-all happens when you do not pull those "scientific" shots off and get their "full measure?"

After-all, this goes right to the heart of the all important "risk/reward" equation of strategic golf---what happens if you either don't choose the risk and reward or don't pull it off?

There most certainly should be and must be a difference in the "currency" of golf----eg STROKES.

The deal in golf and golf architecture has pretty much always been----eg YES, but how much of a difference!  ;)

I actually have my on answer to that.

LATER.     :-*

JESII

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

But the flipside, OF COURSE ;) is what-all happens when you do not pull those "scientific" shots off and get their "full measure?"

After-all, this goes right to the heart of the all important "risk/reward" equation of strategic golf---what happens if you either don't choose the risk and reward or don't pull it off?

...or was that PENAl golf? Oh well, they're one and the same, just different degrees...

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
I was very surprised by the outstanding greens at Huntercombe considering it is one of the earliest inland courses by Willie Park, Jr.  My sincere thanks to Philip for showing my brother and I around that lovely golfing ground.  Those greens should be studied by all golf architect students.  They are early and they are great!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Huntercombe was arguably the first great inland course in England and probably the world. I would think Walter Travis had never seen a strategic course in the US prior to 1901. Not sure when he was acquainted with the great links of Scotland, but at any rate Huntercombe was revolutionary at that time. Even though Sunningdale was started a bit earlier, it took longer to complete and was not open for play when Travis visited in 1901 (I believe in April).

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

Re: Who said it? A: Walter Travis, Dec. 1901. And do you agree? Is that GOLF? New
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
I don't think there are many who admire Huntercombe more than myself and I can think of less than five inland courses which I believe to be superior.  So, yes, the sentiments of Travis are  much closer to the truth than not! 

I also agree with Travis concerning penalizing less than good shots.  Imagining that this comment was made in conjunction with his respect for Huntercombe, it is easy to see what Travis meant by "or else subject to some penalty". 

Its just a shame the club has allowed the course to become a bit over-run with trees and rough.  Even so, and I know I have urged many to take time away from playing the big guns of London on previous occasions, Huntercombe will more than repay the visitor with a refreshing look at how creative and clever grade level golf can be.  For an insight into what early heathland golf was about and how it is still relevant today, Huntercombe is a must see. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:26:14 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back