News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: So, Who Does Faldo Take To The Dance?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
No Darren Clarke - UNBELIEVABLE. Typical Faldo.

I am surprised, but it does seem like a Faldo decision.  Clarke is in good form, and has been core player for the Euros.  How pissed are the likes of Garcia and Westwood that he is not chosen? 

I guess the rumours that Poulter had his ear were on the money.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
Certainly picked the form Guys .

A pair of missed cuts  :(

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »
Wow, neither Clarke nor Monty in his two captain's picks.  I'm disappointed.  Big time. 
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
Sean -

I think your phrase "these are pieces of furniture" makes the thread all on its own. And  speaking of which, I'm guessing that even more than usual this year's Ryder Cup will come down to how well the pieces of furniture play - and to which Captain better moves those pieces around. I go back and forth on that one - but I'm thinking Faldo has the advantage over Azinger.

Peter

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
Monty didn't deserve it , based on his recent play, did he?

remember when Strange got picked as a wild card despite his poor recent form?  didn't he play terribly in the Cup?

and Monty isn't the greatest guy in the world, is he?/ (correct me if I'm wrong)...he seems pretty grouchy a lot of the time....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
Strange went 0-0-3 at Oak Hill in '95, losing two foursome matchups (1 up then 4 & 2), then his singles match pretty famously to Faldo 1 up after leading on the back nine.

Monty may be a pain, but he's been more of a pain to the US -- probably as responsible as an single player for Euro's dominance of the Ryder Cup in the past decade or so.

JESII

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
Chris,

I think you and I have the same instincts about this Ryder Cup, and the enigma that is Tiger Woods.

Kalen,

I think the Euro's will do something worse that win by 4, in other words, I am reserving the chance that the americans win, or at least keep it within 3.5 points...bet?

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
I am truly stunned that Faldo didn't pick Clarkie.  He must have an awful lot of faith in Poulter, I know I don't.  To me, Poulter is one of the pieces of furniture that get shifted about.  He is definitely not a guy a spend to spend a pick on when Clarkie and Monty are available.  In one instant, Faldo has ripped out the double-heart of the Euro side these past several Ryder Cups.  Its too bad the Euros couldn't carry on with the inspirational captaincy of Woosnam.  Personally, I think these picks just reduced the odds to 50-50 for a Euro win.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
Chris,

I think you and I have the same instincts about this Ryder Cup, and the enigma that is Tiger Woods.

Kalen,

I think the Euro's will do something worse that win by 4, in other words, I am reserving the chance that the americans win, or at least keep it within 3.5 points...bet?

Jes, your on at 3.5...

What the bet??  ;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
I too am quite surprised that Clarke wasn't picked but, honestly, until the Dutch Open, he really hadn't been playing that well.  He showed well at Firestone, but Poulter and Casey have performed better over the last year. 

Personally, I was hoping for Clarke and Poulter.  Between Clarke, Poulter and Casey, if I had to bet on a player to hole an important putt in the Ryder Cup, Casey would be the last guy I would choose. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Chris,

Kalen,

Jes, your on at 3.5...

What the bet??  ;D

Jes,

I'm really loving those captains picks by Azinger.  Are we still on for the bet?  I'm giving you 3.5 points.  What's the bet?   ;D

JESII

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
Sure we're on, but the line is 4 points.

I don't know what to make of the picks. For one, I would have left Holmes off the team, but this format is a total crapshoot...who would know?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
Sure we're on, but the line is 4 points.

I don't know what to make of the picks. For one, I would have left Holmes off the team, but this format is a total crapshoot...who would know?

Sure 4 points isn't a problem either.  I'm guessing it'll be about 11.5-4.5 going into the singles  :)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
Nobody really likes Faldo, but the younger English golfers look up to him, I think. I am not surprised he picked two English players. Personally, I can't stand Poulter. He seems to think he's a character, just because he has spike hair and questionable strides. But I suppose he did well in the Majors, didn't he?
John Marr(inan)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:24 AM »
Nobody really likes Faldo, but the younger English golfers look up to him, I think. I am not surprised he picked two English players. Personally, I can't stand Poulter. He seems to think he's a character, just because he has spike hair and questionable strides. But I suppose he did well in the Majors, didn't he?
It seems to me that all the younger EUROPEAN golfers look up to him. He was, after all, the best player in the world as they were learning the game.  Some of the young English players (Dougherty, Poulter) like him as well.  The Faldo series is a reasonably significant stage in the development of some of the best young golfers over here and Faldo does seem to take a genuine interest in helping some of the kids coming through develop their game.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

PThomas

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
just read of Geoff Shackelfords site (he mentioned an article by Barker Davis) that JB Holmes isn't popular because of "poor personal hygiene" ??? :o :P

i get scared thinking about what the hell that exactly means...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back