News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

So, Who Does Faldo Take To The Dance?
« on: August 31, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
So far as I can tell, Azinger can pick who he likes.  Whether or not they help side is down to luck.  In other words, he can shuffle furniture around, but so what?

Now, Faldo is in an enviable spot.  Thus far he has

Harrington, Garcia, Westwood, Karlsson, Stenson, Jimenez & McDowell.  That represents a decent core of of many winning sides. 

In the probably slots taking up the rear are Rose, Hanson and Oliver.  Much like the American side, these are pieces of furniture.

Now for his choices, he has some humdingers that Azinger can only dream of.  Personally, I think Clarke is a done deal.  He is a great partner for Westwood and that in itself is enough. 

The last choice is a toughie.  Personally, and its a no brainer, I would take Monty.  The selection of Clarke & Monty only further assembles a core of players that were a winning combination for Europe -and one the States has had no answer for. 

However, as much as I think Monty should be picked, he won't be.  Faldo has stated he is looking for on form players.  Clarke fits this philosophy, Monty doesn't.  It also doesn't help that Faldo & Monty are not exactly mates.  With this in mind, I think the final pick has to come down to Casey or Pettersson.  If Faldo picked Poulter I would be disappointed and shocked.  In the end, I think Faldo will take Casey and who could blame him?  However, I think there is a strong case for Pettersson, but he is a bit of an outsider playing on the US tour almost exclusively.

What do you lot think?

Ciao 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:06:14 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Matthew Mollica

Re: So, Who Does Faldo Take To The Dance?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40:55 AM »
I too think he'll leave Monty on the sidelines, and shouldn't pick Poulter.
Clarke, Rose, Hanson and Casey for mine.

Cannot wait for the Cup to start. I think the Europeans can win it.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
Pedantically its Hansen not "Hanson" .

I think Faldo is such a contrarian , that he will take Clarke and Dougherty .

Although if he really was going to pick form players , would he not choose Martin Laird ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:09:46 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
I will be disappointed if he doesn't take Mrs. Doubtfire.  He makes for good theater.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
Joe - PLUS he whips the USA team into the dirt.

I think to make it fair, the Ryder Cup should revert to USA versus GB & Ireland :)

PS - I still think it was the standardization of the golf ball's size that started the competitiveness of the Ryder Cup.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:39:15 AM »
Since it's a dance and the Ryder Cup is gender-neutral, how about Anneka and Monty?  Pairing the two big girl's blouses would make for great theater, and play havoc with the American team's pysches.....

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:36:30 AM »
Clarke is an experienced player who has form at the moment.

Casey is a big hitting experienced Ryder Cup player and even though he isn't on form at the moment I expect him to be the other pick, though I like Poulter so wouldn't mind if he was picked either.

No chance really for Monty as he has shown no form recently but it would be good to have him in the team room for his experience. He would make a great vice captain if only he and Faldo hadn't been falling out recently.

Good call from Brian on Nick Dougherty as an outside bet. Didn't he win the first Faldo Junior series?

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

JESII

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:43:13 AM »
If it isn't Clarke and Casey I will be shocked...pretty daunting team there, and plenty of experience and plenty of new blood.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »
Faldo has two picks not four. The 10 are already done, Hansen & Wilson are in as Rose. Nothing would suprise me what he will choose, even Clarke & Monty. I would pick Clarke & Poulter.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Terry Thornton

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
Wasn't Casey's last shot in a Ryder Cup an ace?,(or was it Day2)  great carry over form!

Casey and Clarke for mine

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
He's got to pick Clarke. Then it's probably Casey or Poulter. Monty's form is not good enough unfortunately. I hope he picks Casey who is a solid player with experience.

Poulter is too much of a whiner and too tempremental. He proved that this week saying he shouldn't have to play with so much pressure - get over yourself Ian, you make millions a year doing this.

Dougherty is not good enough and is too good  friends with Faldo - that would look like a true favorites pick.

The one that hurts not to have is Donald. Outside chance Graeme McDowell?

Heck, knowing Faldo he might pick himself ;D

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
Clarke for sure...he and Michelangelo bring the booze and the smokes...does Kentucky allow Cubans across state lines?  If not, call Cigar Dave for some replacements.

Casey versus Poulter is really unfair, as both are around 30 and really need to develop into the next generation of veterans.

Dougherty would be a great case for inbreeding, as he was other Nick's protege/ingenue and is as close to good form as he has ever been.

What none of us on this forum know is how these lads are in the locker room, off the course, on the 6th fairway, behind the port-o-let.  Arble's comment on furniture is so darned appropriate...these last two picks are pillow cases.  They'll help but they aren't what should win or lose the Cup.

I'm thinking that Lee Westwood will have the final say and that Faldo will go with Poulter.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
Getting more serious, Poulter has to be chosen, as he has proved to be the best player of the possible choices over the past year or so.  As to #2, Casey is the better player (now) than Clarke, but Darren has the gravitas that the Euros will be missing without Montgomery.

I think that regardless of the picks it is going to be a very good RC.  Ex-Tiger, the USA could be punishingly released from their inhibitions.  We shall see.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
Monte, Clarke, Casey, Poulter, whoever.  Once again, I don't think it really matters this year.

It will only be the difference between destroying the US team again or just beating them very soundly.

So why not let Mrs. Doubtfire have one last hurrah in the Ryder Cup...he has certainly deserved it.  And it won't matter how he plays because his points won't be needed anyways.

JESII

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Now, down to the nuts...Kalen, I'll take the US side and 4 points...is it a bet?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »
If the USA does have another can opened up on it, does the chatter of 'the curse of brookline' begin?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
Now, down to the nuts...Kalen, I'll take the US side and 4 points...is it a bet?

Jes,

Your claim is Europe will win no better than 16-12?

If Faldo picks Casey and Clarke...I'll take that bet.  With Monty and Poulter, thats about the criteria/outcome I would expect for a sound beating.  ;D

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
Clarke for sure and I would hope he would pick Monty but think that Monty has all but ruled himself out with his attitude towards Faldo in the last few months. So I think Casey is odds on although maybe he will shock us all and citing his ryder cup record as the reason pick himself :o

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Ryder Cup records:

Casey: 3-1-2 in two appearances.

Clarke: 10-7-3 in five appearances. He's an outstanding 6-2-1 in fourballs, with several of those paired with Westwood. He's only 1-2-2 in singles, with the lone win coming against Johnson in Ireland last time around.

Monty: 20-9-7 in eight appearances. He has never been beaten in singles (6-0-2, with one of those draws a forced one at Valhalla against Hoch ordered up by Seve), and is 8-3-3 in foursomes, where his accuracy in driving is a real strength. He has a better Ryder Cup record than Seve, Faldo and Langer. He was, by most measures, the single best European player at Valderrama in '97, Brookline in '99, and the Belfry in '02, and wasn't too bad at Oakland Hills, either, going 3-1.

Poulter: 1-1 in one appearance.

My choices: Clarke and Casey, although Monty's record is hard to ignore. Clarke's been playing well lately, and that combined with his overall strong RC record and veteran presence (along with the ability to hook up again w/ Westwood) make him automatic, in my book. I think the Casey/Monty decision is tougher; Casey clearly loves the Ryder Cup, and has played well in his two appearances. He's old enough that the atmosphere at Valhalla won't bother him. But it's a very close call.

I think Europe is favored, although I think they will miss Donald and his 5-1-1 career RC record (unbeaten in foursomes, with a 4-0-0 record). I think it will be close, with latter-half singles play deciding the outcome.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
Ryder Cup records:

Clarke: 10-7-3 in five appearances. He's an outstanding 6-2-1 in fourballs, with several of those paired with Westwood. He's only 1-2-2 in singles, with the lone win coming against Johnson in Ireland last time around.

Monty: 20-9-7 in eight appearances. He has never been beaten in singles (6-0-2, with one of those draws a forced one at Valhalla against Hoch ordered up by Seve), and is 8-3-3 in foursomes, where his accuracy in driving is a real strength. He has a better Ryder Cup record than Seve, Faldo and Langer. He was, by most measures, the single best European player at Valderrama in '97, Brookline in '99, and the Belfry in '02, and wasn't too bad at Oakland Hills, either, going 3-1.

My choices: Clarke and Casey, although Monty's record is hard to ignore. Clarke's been playing well lately, and that combined with his overall strong RC record and veteran presence (along with the ability to hook up again w/ Westwood) make him automatic, in my book. I think the Casey/Monty decision is tougher; Casey clearly loves the Ryder Cup, and has played well in his two appearances. He's old enough that the atmosphere at Valhalla won't bother him. But it's a very close call.

I think Europe is favored, although I think they will miss Donald and his 5-1-1 career RC record (unbeaten in foursomes, with a 4-0-0 record). I think it will be close, with latter-half singles play deciding the outcome.

Phil. That's an awfully bold statement - "I think it will be close, with the latter-half singles play deciding the outcome".

When did the latter half singles not decide the outcome ??? :D ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
Faldo picks Poulter and Casey !
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:49:26 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »
Ryder Cup records:

Phil. That's an awfully bold statement - "I think it will be close, with the latter-half singles play deciding the outcome".

When did the latter half singles not decide the outcome ??? :D ;)

Dean:

In the last two Ryder Cups, the matches have been esssentially decided by the time the last six singles matches were completed. By the time Monty finished off Toms at Oakland Hills (match 6), e.g., the match was over. Europe went 3-2-1 in the first six matches off on Sunday singles at the K Club, essentially deciding the outcome given the big lead going into singles play.

Also, I'd argue Europe has done a much better job of spacing out its best singles performers than USA in the last several Ryder Cups, particularly Strange's odd choice in '02 in stacking the back end of his lineup.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:46:19 PM by Phil McDade »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
No Darren Clarke - UNBELIEVABLE. Typical Faldo.

CHrisB

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

JES,
I'll bet $100 of your money that the U.S. will win straight up. Like everything else related to golf post-Torrey-Pines (sorry Jamie Slonis), the U.S. Team will be BETTER without Tiger Woods and will win...maybe easily depending on how those Kentucky galleries (mis)behave.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
Shocking to leave Darren Clarke out. Faldo appears focused on the PGA Tour, he doesn't seem to respect the European Tour much.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back