News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

What is the best volunteer job at an Open?
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
If you had to choose a volunteer position during an Open, what would be your preference and why?

Dan Herrmann

Re: What is the best volunteer job at an Open?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
Which Open?

US Open - Sign boy for a good group
The Open - 18th hole yellow sign guy
Phoenix FBR Open - anywhere but 16

JMorgan

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
Any one, Dan. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
Ok - I'll take The Open - 18th hole - in the huge yellow sign.

I'd put up a clever end-of-tournament message, "Visit gca.com!"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Is there a job herding blondes? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Copeland

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

Yes...It pays the same as herding cats
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
I've not volunteered at a US Open, but have many others.  And in many capacities.  For me the walking scorer job is #1.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
I've been a walking scorer at 5 Opens (6 counting 2009) and it is definately the best. You get to walk down the fairways with the players and catch tidbits from the caddies.
Be the ball

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »

Yes...It pays the same as herding cats

According to a few software execs that I know, that is quite a handsome salary!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
A good friend was situated on the 18th at the US Open this year, including Sunday when he got to watch some pretty clutch play at the end, including the wedge and the putt from very close. Perhaps not the "best" job but seeing a slice of history from a few feet has to be inspiring.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 10:04:38 PM »
For an LPGA Open I got to accompany the stimp-reading guy.

Now that was cool job.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
Locker room committee.  You get to hang out with the players and in many cases really get to know them, their agents, kids, player reps.  It gives you a new perspective on the business and the players.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »
Locker room committee.  You get to hang out with the players and in many cases really get to know them, their agents, kids, player reps.  It gives you a new perspective on the business and the players.

At the Women's Open.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »

At the Women's Open.....

Laura Davies....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:12 AM »

At the Women's Open.....

Laura Davies....

Ugh....volunteerism isn't all it's cracked up to be.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »
I worked the range at a Canadian Women's Open and had a chuckle when we ran out of ProV1s.  The players eyed you like you had robbed them blind.  The tour had a contract with another ball company and there were plenty of those bags available, but the players simply had to wait until the tractor pulled in.

The perfect job depends upon you.  What type of person are you?  What level of fitness do you have?  How gregarious is your personality?  I would ask your friends (and not necessarily a bunch of guys from an internet forum that you may or may not know) which job on the list they could see you doing and not doing the best/worst.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »
Tiger Woods's driver (chauffeur, not golf club) for the week, especially if Mrs. Woods is along for the drive.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
The only time I worked an Open was the US Open at Merion in 1981. I was on the second tee all week and doing something like that the good news is you basically get to see everyone in the entire tournament in one spot for a brief time but in a very close observable way. There sure were a few memorable moments.

One of the more interesting items, though, was walking along with Watson from #2 tee to the finish (I guess I was an observer) who must have been in the last group that Friday. It struck me how much he never tried to do anything fancy or risky. And it also struck me how little he talked even with his caddie (almost nothing). He would just walk rapidly up to his ball, stand there next to his caddie for about five seconds, take out a club, hit it pretty quick and march on again to do it the same way every time. Watson must have been basically a "feel" player as he never seemed to ask for or get much info before hitting a shot.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:34:43 AM by TEPaul »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
I've been assigned to the rover committee for next years' PGA at Hazeltine. I haven't done it before, but I'm told by those that have that it's a great position; you have a golf cart and a walkie-talkie, and you travel all over the course helping out wherever needed. That appeals to me in that I wouldn't feel like I only got to see one group or one hole all week.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
Rick:

What are you going to be roving for? Are you "Rules" approved?

Ken Fry

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »
Marker with the first guy off Saturday AND Sunday.

Hey, I can dream..... ;D

Ken

Dave_Miller

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »
If you had to choose a volunteer position during an Open, what would be your preference and why?

The Media Center.  You even get to hang out with Pete Kowalski of the USGA ;D
Best
Dave

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
Rick:

What are you going to be roving for? Are you "Rules" approved?

Tom,

No, I'm not rules approved. I'm sure that's a separate committee. Not having done this before, I'm assuming it's more of a logistical assignment, bringing items and/or people from one part of the course to another.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ian Larson

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
I mowed 10, 12 and 14 greens at Torrey and then I raked bunkers at Royal Birkdale

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back