News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

The Terrible Truth (aka Help Stamp Out McGolf)
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »
Is Tony basically giving an explanation why this site seems to have a set of favored architects?

http://agolfarchitect.com/theterribletruth.htm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:05:12 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil_the_Author

Re: The Terrible Truth (aka Help Stamp Out McGolf)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
Garland,

I think you need to explain what you mean.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
Garland,
I'm not sure about your question and the book reference either.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
Philip,

It seems to me that the architects that have a big business and do a high quantity of courses seem generally to be less favored here. E.g., Nicklaus, Fazio.
Whereas, the architects that spend more time on their far fewer courses are favored. E.g. Doak and C&C. And, dare I say Nuzzo? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
Garland - gotcha...

I'd guess that the courses Jack spends time at are very, very good.  But Nicklaus design is a big company, and not all of the firm's designers can be as good as, say, Jack.

With firms of that size, I think the customer chooses the involvement of the lead when the sign the contract.  "Nicklaus Signature" gets a lot more attention from Jack than a lesser project that could have Mike Nicklaus as the lead, for example.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
Jack can spend all the time here that he desires, it wont make me like any of his courses (don't care for most of them that I have played), by the same token, Mr. Doak et al can spend less time here and I will still like all of courses that I have played.....too bad Donald Ross cant post here....
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
Jack can spend all the time here that he desires, it wont make me like any of his courses (don't care for most of them that I have played), by the same token, Mr. Doak et al can spend less time here and I will still like all of courses that I have played.....too bad Donald Ross cant post here....

??? Rich, the issue is how much time spent at the course being constructed.  ???

I trust you will have a love/hate relationship with Sebonack.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:46:52 AM »
Quote:
too bad Donald Ross cant post here
END

Ross had a couple poignant statements. He'd done tons of work, and is used as the standard defense for mail order golf, but he did write "design on land, not on paper." He also left this nugget via the Maples family.

The greatest collection of Donald Ross golf courses is right here (in Pinehurst)… That’s because (Donald Ross) was here.

When my dad once asked him what he might do differently if he were starting over, Ross told him, ‘I would only build as many courses as I could be at the site.’

He lived here (in Pinehurst) and spent time here, and obviously courses are going to be more true to the designs when the architect is there.

Interview with Dan Maples
Pilot.com

What that would precisely mean in modern terms I don't know, but it clearly indicates he would have been more focused and taken on fewer projects. I do find it interesting that at the end of his career he made this type of confession to one of his closest associates.

Back then it may have been the wise choice to take a set of Ross plans. Today I think the field offers more and better choices. It's up to the investor to sift through the bull and discover value. Sometimes the choice is for immediate return (McSignature) if they're selling property and golf isn't the primary focus, or intrinsic value; where the designer brings game and an honest product: commitment, attention to detail, cost savings and the burning desire to upstage any and all "McGolf" projects next door. Or, at a minimum, make the course tremendous value for money invested.

I doubt any GCAer will ever make it out here, so here's a tiny peek at some work I've been doing with a local crew of non-golfers... plus one good 'ol buddy who used to work for Wads who's been brought in to get the project to the finish line.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5026755/Sand-Valley-Golf-Construction-Progression-Quarry-12th
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:18:55 AM by Tony Ristola »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:01 AM »
AT this particular juncture, "mass production of golf courses" is not a problem for 99% of all gca'a.

Tony, do you believe actions speak louder than words?  Ross could say anything he wanted, but he did what he did, and got some really good products outside of Pinehurst.

Those photos of your work look nice , but the results shown can be accomplished a lot of different ways.

I don't see why the gca needs to be there for importing sand as topsoil.  On a site visit he could lay out the bunker edges, and tweak them if necessary on another.  Then, he could leave the construction to people who really know construction.  Using inexperienced personell can work fine on a clean, simple job, but for some reason, I don't get too many of those. 

Having more experienced construction folk around helps a lot when you encounter some hidden site conditions.  And, I know this from experience of being a field guy years ago and not knowing how (for example) to de-water a wet area, etc.  I did learn, but only from experienced local earthmovers.  I know the "investor" in those projects appreciated those experienced men at that time a lot more than me being on site full time to direct construction!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04:21 AM »
AT this particular juncture, "mass production of golf courses" is not a problem for 99% of all gca'a.

Tony, do you believe actions speak louder than words?  Ross could say anything he wanted, but he did what he did, and got some really good products outside of Pinehurst.

Those photos of your work look nice , but the results shown can be accomplished a lot of different ways.

I don't see why the gca needs to be there for importing sand as topsoil.  On a site visit he could lay out the bunker edges, and tweak them if necessary on another.  Then, he could leave the construction to people who really know construction.  Using inexperienced personell can work fine on a clean, simple job, but for some reason, I don't get too many of those. 

Having more experienced construction folk around helps a lot when you encounter some hidden site conditions.  And, I know this from experience of being a field guy years ago and not knowing how (for example) to de-water a wet area, etc.  I did learn, but only from experienced local earthmovers.  I know the "investor" in those projects appreciated those experienced men at that time a lot more than me being on site full time to direct construction!

I think Dan answered this.
Garland - gotcha...

I'd guess that the courses Jack spends time at are very, very good.  But Nicklaus design is a big company, and not all of the firm's designers can be as good as, say, Jack.

With firms of that size, I think the customer chooses the involvement of the lead when the sign the contract.  "Nicklaus Signature" gets a lot more attention from Jack than a lesser project that could have Mike Nicklaus as the lead, for example.
Moral: Leaders make a difference.

Jeff,

Where I'm working now they tried it with a set of highly detailed plans and the most qualified builder in the country. You want to know the rest? Ready Paul Daley's upcoming book :)  Hint: 4th on the batting list.

I had one member of your group tell me he was ok with getting it 90% and I'd guess that's the attitude of many. If you have a good builder, fine... you might get there... but there are only so many companies that excel at building golf courses. In Europe you could have a saw accident and probably still have enough fingers to count the excellent companies. Most doing the work don't play golf, haven't studied great architecture and are limited in their scope.

I'd rather shoot beyond 100% and fall a little. Further, one method has a better record than the other because some done the "typical" way, shooting for 90% will fall through the cracks.

I don't know of an architect who made perfect plans. Tons can be improved on, and much information communicated. More time = more communication, enthusiasm, trust, motivation, awareness, monitoring and fun. It's the difference between being an outside regulator and a part of a team.

Then there are all the opportunities that don't show up between "site-visits".

As far as the dig about being there for topsoil. Well, there is a ton of other stuff being done too, as you knew. In the photos, had I topsoiled it according to some plan, I would have missed out on a couple opportunities that improved the hole. Would I have come across them during a brief walk-through? I doubt it. These were pondered for a while and incorporated while on the machine.

Well, we agree on one thing. Locals know the area best. I tend to use locals rather than outsiders. If most builders are unqualified, I'd rather use unqualified locals as it's their community so a good product is in their interest. Those farmers and builders who have worked the land (that's usually what you get in continental Europe) in the region are very giving of information. And great characters. They do know more, but unfortunately not about golf.

As for Ross. Batting Average? I think he thought his batting average could have been better, hence the statement.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:17:13 AM by Tony Ristola »

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
It seems to me the quality of golf architecture has a direct relationship to the amount of "site time" of a golf architect, particularly in the old days. Lots of people have tried to deny this or explain it away somehow but I don't believe they can ever do that factually.

Tony:

The fact is as a group the Ross courses of Massachussets and Rhode Island are of a higher quality of architecture than elsewhere and the reason seems to be that Ross also lived in those two states too and was around those courses more often.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:16:09 AM by TEPaul »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
Time spent on site is but one key. The more important appears to be the knowledge of what constitutes good, or great, and the vision to carry it out. If you start out not knowing what great is or means, what are the chances of one designing greatness? I'd say zero.

The compromises, or designed-in playability facets, DO NOT make for inspiring golf.

Forrest once asked me to define inspired golf. After having played Greywalls I believe I've hit on a definition.
 Inspired golf architecture makes the golfer swing better to pull off the heroic, while allowing the lesser player options and room to play safe.

One only needs to play the second hole at CPC to experience an early example of a diagonal cross carry. Those who are not able to pull off the heroic can play safely out to the right. Other examples apply but the 4th at Greywalls epitomizes this definition and on a str8 hole.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »
We've seen Jeff and Tony debate before.  I have come to understand their POVs as both defending their process.  I have always looked at it as a fellow who runs a production assembly line making a product with all the modern equipment and CADD and robotics, etc., VS a fellow who works in his shop, and is a craftsman focused on one at a time hand work.  

While I wouldn't think Jeff is as infrequent of a visitor to his sites as Tony points out in his web page and from exerpts from Strawn's book about a typical GCA firm multiple course at a time bid out the construction work method rather than in-house design; I do think that Jeff defends the POV that an expert architect who oversees the process via site visits, and monitors the construction company work (be it local excavators and shapers or GC construction focused earth movers) and believes that his methods works well because he (or that style of architect) has a developed a system and method as to how they do the supervision and oversight, and it doesn't require them to be there 24/7.

But, Tony well defends the concept of the boutique architects, one at a time craftsman, and makes the case that only being there is the best bet at not missing nuances in the land that present particular opportunity to take advantage of a ground soil, drainage or feature shaping detail that would be passed over in a site turned over to just construction guys who may or may not be very golf design savvy.  

If it were me, as I had indicated on the Trump site question of who would you pick, I would want the guy who would commit to being there for the entire project, and the one that makes it his daily duty to communicate all his ideas to the construction crew by teaching and example.  If the archie knows he has better skilled machine operator shapers than he can do, then oversee them, rather than compete with them by climbing on the machine to do it yourself.  But, if you are there while it is happening, I have little doubt some things will come up that would have been passed by if the project were strictly a construction by the plan, stick to the phasing, and stick to the pre-drawn concept.  

Some of the passages in STrawn's book were a tweak at the commerce of "change orders" and how the construction companies can almost count on the bonus pay of archies who aren't around all the time, coming and changing their minds on things after they were half done by his previous drawn and preplanned design.  I was personally at Cassique visiting for a day, and the construction super was nice enough to give me some time and access to the trailer.  He and some shapers were there giving me some chat on the project progress, and they all specifically started making fun of the process where TW would come in and make changes on his changes.  They laughed at the whole thing indicating they couldn't care less how many changes as they were all more $$$ in their pocket and full employment for them for longer time.  It wasn't subtle either, it was overt ocking of the change order process.  

So, I come down on Tony's side of the craftsman-one course at a time VS multiple site supervision based on infrequent site visits - whether it is a tight process or not.  That in my mind is the choice of the developer.  If the developer is a greenhorn and doesn't take time to try to learn these things, then tough cookie and one gets what they bargain for, and may lose more in $ than the value of the time it should take to learn.  And, if you are so big and your project is so complex that the real issue is design name recognition that is oriented at marketting the big name designer, then that is what you get and you pay for that too.

Even in a nice rocking chair, I'll take the hand made craftsman's chair he worked on for a month than the one made in the factory via a manufactured process.  That is a personal preferance.  To some it may not matter so long as it rocks...  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
Adam, Greywalls may be a great example of the whole point Tony makes.  How much time do you think Mikey D spent on the site?  What was his level of involvment to find that routing, and oversee the incredible shaping and feature work.  Not all those nooks and crannies, and features were there, or those that were, needed specific shaping augmentation to bring the golf sense into the mix.  Would Greywalls succeed with an archie that came there 10 times, 8 hours per time tramping around the site explaining what he wanted to a crew, then leave it to them to translate it, and come back later to see if they did it?  And if they didn't get it right the first time... what does that cost the developer in time to change it and $$$.  I think that is Tony's point. 

Mike IS a good golfer and recognises those opportunities in feature-strategic creation.  Mike comes from great golf in that he is a member of one of the great designed golf clubs in the country.  He worked on maintenance on that great club and worked for TD in his early career.  Mike D is no (pick your favorite big house archie to bash) - few site visits sort of guy.  And, don't it show. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »
Is the reason Pete Dye started a revolution in golf course design and construction, that he got on a bulldozer and started devoting full time to building the courses himself, whereas the RTJ school had been contracting out building to specs?

Tony Ristola

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 03:56:57 AM »
Is the reason Pete Dye started a revolution in golf course design and construction, that he got on a bulldozer and started devoting full time to building the courses himself, whereas the RTJ school had been contracting out building to specs?

Without that attention he would have been one of the crowd. Bury Me in a Pot Bunker reveals a fair bit about why he did what he did. He learned he couldn't get what he wanted handing off plans, looked at history and saw how great courses were produced, and came to the conclusion to build the type of courses he wanted to build he couldn't leave builders alone for long periods. That and a seeming love for creation produced a high quality collection of work. At the back of the book he lists his projects and it comes out to about 2 per year.

Dye's greatest influence was the style he brought to the table, and the massive dirt moving. Many followed, tried to copy,  tried to out do him, but his work in that dept. stands above most. I find it interesting that while rebuilding one of the rape-and-shape glob factories he asked himself "what the hell was I thinking"?

During a discussion, and this could be good fodder for a thread of its own, one archie told me he wasn't sure Dye was in love with the "links" style, but that it was a marketing move. I can see how part of it could be true, and Dye's comments about Harbour Town and RTJ's work down the road brought him to produce something diametrically opposed support this ever so slightly, but don't believe it in total; it was an interesting view point nonetheless.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
It occurred to me this weekend that what Tony brought out on his website is somewhat similar to the very short article Tom Doak wrote for Golf Architecture 4, the primary difference being that Tony emphasized the economic advantages of the architect being on site for most of the project, while Tom emphasized the nature of the course built.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
RJ,

Those change orders that they talked about may have been a result of Watson having a staff or contracted architect making most of the site visits, but retaining control, while making infrequent site visits.  First, the contractor builds to the staff architect vision, and then has to rebuild.

That is, I understand, common with Tour Pros and their firms.  It might be possible with a large firm where the head guy doesn't let his associates do the work on their own projects.

However, it could be just at true of a Dye or Doak organization, where the work is done in the field by shapers/shaping associates and the head guy comes out to tweak every once in a while.

Contractors are usually pretty good about making reasonable changes, providing its close to what was drawn or explained, and the changes take hours or only days.  I can see them getting frustrated with any gca who repeatedly changes a green because he just doesn't know what he wants. 

While the frustration level of the shaper would be the same either way, I suppose.  That said, most of the in house shapers probably also get billed to the owner hourly, and there would be some extra cost for repeated shaping, there too.  If not, and the gca is providing the shaper on a lump sum basis, there might come a time near the end of the project where "that's good enough" might come into play, too, as the gca realizes he's paying for it out of his own pocket, just as  a contractor would.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back