News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Davis Wildman

Architect or Designer?
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
I searched on this one for awhile, but didn't find the thread; presumably there is one and I'll take the heat if i missed it.

Architects are designers, but are designers architects? 

Phil_the_Author

Re: Architect or Designer?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
No.

For example, I think I would be a terrific golf course designer. I guarantee my courses would be quite dramatic and memorable... on a sunny day.

Unfortunately, when the rains come I would now have become the designer of a series of lakes so large and interconnected that fish would evolve in them. That is because I don't know a thing about drainage and the principles invovled.

The fairways and greens would be bright green, and then they would all die off because my choice of turf would be based upon knowledge of my front lawn, and even that doesn't look so hot.

My bunkers would be large and voluminous and the sand would be impossible to hit out of because I would choose the whitest rather than the one that fit into the climate of where the course was built...

All those, and so many more items, details and design features are the purview of the architect.

It's sort of like the interior designer whose room drawings were works of art only to find the house collapse because he removed that strange sounding thing... oh yes, the load-bearing walls!  ;D

Still, neither is an engineer... I guess that's for another thread!

Steve Burrows

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
When I was in school for landscape architecture, I worked on the construction crew for a Pete Dye renovation, and, when I got the chance to ask him a few questions, I referred to him as an "architect," and was quickly corrected.  I did not make that mistake again! 

Perhaps it was just his preference, but there also tends to be a separation between the two words in design disciplines outside of golf.  It usually has something to do with having a formal education or not, i.e., those who went to school for landscape architecture may call themselves landscape architects, whereas those who didn't go to school (though they may be otherwise better qualified to do a given job) are referred to as landscape designers.  There is probably some legal issues that compel this separation, as well.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »
Steve:

Actually, the difference between landscape architects and landscape designers is about licensing.  In nearly every state you can't be a landscape architect until you have had some professional experience and passed an exam (which you don't necessarily have to have got a degree in L.A. to pass).  But, many people with horticulture / nursery backgrounds will call themselves "landscape designers" and do design/build stuff under the law.

In golf course architecture, there is no licensing, so it is all a matter of semantics.  Some (including Pete Dye and Jack Nicklaus) do NOT like the term golf course ARCHITECT and insist on calling themselves designers ... Pete always said he just thought calling yourself an architect was adding more responsibility and liability to your work.  I have really never cared one way or another ... I'm just trying to build great courses.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
When I first became involved in golf architecture via that Ardrossan Farm project, I actually had a representative for a West Coast golf architect come to my house and when I told him I was involved with Coore and Crenshaw he tried to convince me I shouldn't use them because they were only designers, not architects, and they could never do a complete job on a new golf course/golf club.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
o/t probably

In the world of buildings that I know, the distinctions are very real and have lots of ramifications. 

A Designer in most states can do single family residences, but that is about it. 

The licensing of an Architect (buildings) is a very involved and rigorous starting in a School of Architecture (at least 5 years), a documented and varied intern experience of about 3 years (for both national and state organizations) and a licensing exam that is 3 days long.  At present only about 30% of candidates pass the exam the first time around.

Up to about 5 years ago, you could get a state license to practice Architecture in many states after about 10-12 years of experience in an Architecural office.  That option has for all intents and purposes does not exist.

By the way, Interior Designers are now licensed.

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »
Architects are designers, but are designers architects? 

I prefer the title architectualist...but I have seen some architects that were not designers...... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back