News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Recent news on Cabot Links, Nova Scotia
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »
 In the Aug/Sept edition of Score Magazine there is an article about construction starting on Cabot Links. According to the article, Ben Cowan-Dewar, Mike Keiser of Brandon Dunes fame and the Cape Breton Growth Fund(NS Gov't) have put the financing in place and the ground was broken on construction in July under the direction of Rod Whitman on a budget of $5.7 million. The article states that the project shouldd open in 2010. Besides the wonderful site another planned feature of the course is supposed to be no golf carts allowed. Keiser predicts that up to 80 new jobs will be produced in Inverness as a result of the course( The gov't has a more modest forcast of 30)
  If possible would really love to hear something on the design. Will the course go out for the first 9 and then back in true links fashion? Are there any photo updates on construction?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:28:28 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Jim Nugent

Re: Aug/Sept Issue of Score Magazine has feature article on Cabot Links.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
Will Ran do a course profile after play opens? 

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »
While most are thrilled to hear no carts allowed I am not.  What about those with disabilities?  An acquaintance was going to play Bandon but chose not to after they were told to send xrays, etc. to confirm the disability. It was just too much.

I hope that Cabot Links has a more user friendly policy.  Golf is one of the few sports that can be enjoyed by the disabled.  I hope that Cabot Links will make the appropriate accommodations and allow those with disabilities to have a cart with minimal authentication - i.e. a car disability permit.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »
An acquaintance was going to play Bandon but chose not to after they were told to send xrays, etc. to confirm the disability

Yes, because if there's one thing that's second nature to every golf club secretary worth his salt, it's being able to interpret X-rays. Some of them are even a dab hand with DNA.

Your acquaintance should have Xeroxed his bare buttocks and sent it to Bandon Dunes with a note inviting them to 'Confirm this!'

Craziest thing I've read all day...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
Cliff, Methinks your friend may have hype'd the requirements.  I've seen carts at Bandon, driven by a caddy.

But, most importantly, I need info on Cabot Links :)    I can't wait to get back up to Nova Scotia!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Perhaps hyped the tool of analysis (ass-rays) but not the requirement.  Bandon holds very firm to its no-carts unless really-handicapped policy.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Don Hyslop

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
  I hope that Ben will chime in on the accuracy of the Score Magazine article and give us a litte hint of what might be happening regards to Mr. Whitmans layout.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure the article was written by GCA's own Robert Thompson.

Funny enough, I believe there was a picture in the print version of the article with Ben, Ran and Rod but Ran was curiously not mentioned.

henrye

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
This course has to be one of the most anticipated on this website.  Now that the press (our own Robert Thompson) has published a story on it, perhaps we could get the likes of Ben and/or Ran to fill us in.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »
  Here is a link to a Thompson story from Toronto's National Post from this summer re Cabot Links:

http://www.nationalpost.com/related/topics/story.html?id=610777

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks for that link, Don.

Any chance one of our Canadian friends would be willing to either purchase and scan the article or purchase the mag and send it to me? I will gladly reimburse expenses. I don't see a link on their website to allow purchases of single issues, only subscriptions. Send me a message if you're able and willing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Don Hyslop

Re: Recent news on Cabot Links, Nova Scotia
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
  Here is another link to a recent story on this development.

http://www.enroutemag.com/e/may08/feature1_a.html

With more stories appearing as time goes on, I thought it necessary to change the thread's title to reflect that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:32:34 PM by Don Hyslop »

Scott Weersing

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »

Have they started growing in Cabot Links?

Any new photos?

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
I would also be interested in any news...
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
My understanding talking to Mr. Keiser in July (when we were both in Scotland) is that Rod and company are doing some of the rough earthwork and shaping of the course this summer for a minimal amount of money, and they would see where that got them to the end of this year, but that it wasn't "full speed ahead" because of the economy right now.  Hopefully Ben will share more info.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
I breezed through Inverness on vacation just last week. Didn't have time to ask around or get in better position for photos, but the two I took appear to confirm what Tom D. suggests above ... a fairly minimal amount of earth moving is apparent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/3810291536/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/3810293174/

Highlands Links is in nice shape. A bit lush, but the ball still runs nicely. Ian Andrew's tree work is all the regulars can talk about. If you're reading this, Ian, I could use more room on Killiecrankie.  :)

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »
Perhaps hyped the tool of analysis (ass-rays) but not the requirement.  Bandon holds very firm to its no-carts unless really-handicapped policy.

I am not so sure.  The last time I was there, I saw a guy in a cart and the only disability appeared to be the inability to push himself away from the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.  Well, maybe he had COPD or something, but the point is that they will make an exception.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »
Perhaps hyped the tool of analysis (ass-rays) but not the requirement.  Bandon holds very firm to its no-carts unless really-handicapped policy.

I am not so sure.  The last time I was there, I saw a guy in a cart and the only disability appeared to be the inability to push himself away from the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.  Well, maybe he had COPD or something, but the point is that they will make an exception.

Mr. Lavin...Bandon is indeed stringent in making one jump over hurdles to get a cart.  When I contacted they it was indicated that at a minimum they would require doctors authorization and confirmation of disability and written proof of a disability from an agency (auto disability card) on top of the doctor's note.  You must also reserve further in advance than others as they have a very limited number of carts.  It is simply not disability friendly.

As for your observation, every disability does not result in observable excruciating pain.  My wife has two knee replacements.  If walking a short distance on flat ground you would not notice.  It would behoove you not to be so quick to judge others.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:20:26 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

Let us all support the opening of this course without expecting a free ride.

Anthony

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »

Let us all support the opening of this course without expecting a free ride.

Anthony

Hi Anthony...Nova Scotia is one of my favorite places.  I very much look forward to Cabot Links.  Not sure what you mean by a free ride.  I fully expect greens fees will not be cheap.  Please clarify. Thanks...cliff

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Not sure what you mean by a free ride.  I fully expect greens fees will not be cheap.
That depends on your perspective of cheap and the Canadian dollar exchange rate.  Highland Links green fees are just under C$100 and Bell Bay fees are $79.  Depending on your perspective that is dirt cheap or very expensive.  I would guess that Cabot's green fees would be similar to Highland Links.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
I am not sure if this has been posted by Robert or not elsewhere but here is a link to his blog which has a photo of what is the 11th hole( par 3) on the Rod Whitman design. It is simply spectacular!
http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2009/08/29/cape-bretons-cabot-links-moves-forward/

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
Yowzer!
I want to go to there!

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
It is fantastic that Mr Keiser and KemperSports have joined up with the GCA team at Cabot Links.

It is going to be awesome to have a walking only links course in the homeland and should be able to attract a lot of traffic from the Northeast as well as the crazy Canadian golfers who will be there in droves after hockey season ends.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back