News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

Day 5: Ballybunion (Old) - 36 holes

I don't know if this is still the case, but the last time I looked they wouldn't let you play 36 on the Old course on the same day - if you wanted to play 36 you could only play the Old course once and the Cashen course once.  I think they also restrict play to members on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so you'll have to plan your days carefully.

Andy

Brian Cenci

Day 5: Ballybunion (Old) - 36 holes

I don't know if this is still the case, but the last time I looked they wouldn't let you play 36 on the Old course on the same day - if you wanted to play 36 you could only play the Old course once and the Cashen course once.  I think they also restrict play to members on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so you'll have to plan your days carefully.

Andy

I was sort of wondering that myself because on the web-site it doesn't really give you a replay rate...only a reduced 36 hole rate if you play both.  You probably can but have to pay the full price again is my guess.  Does anybody know?

Daryl David

You would need to arrange a special deal to do 36 same day.  It is officially not allowed, but has been know to occur through arranging with the starter depending on how full the tee book is.

Brad Fleischer

Just finished my golf trip in Ireland and will be on the 1:30 flight back to jfk today. If you want any advice or suggestions from my experiences drop me a email. I played carne, enniscrone,lahinch,rosses point and a few lesser known courses. What ever you decide to do you will have a great time . Real quick most of the suggestions are spot on especially concerning routes. Coming back down from bally is tour bus hell and driving is slowwwwww. The ferry will also save you time from bally to lahinch and you will probably only get lost once on way ;). I would not want to retrace routes at all if I was you based on  my experience driving the last 3 weeks. With that said driving for me was not bad at all , certainly not as bad as some people made it out to be but no sense going in a circle. I skipped old head but did drive in. It might might be worth it for the views if you get lucky and have a clear day but not sure if it's worth it for the golf from what I saw. Before everyone gets on me no I didn't play it but kind of got the idea from looking and from word of mouth. For the price I think I would add a round or another course. Have fun !!!

BRAD

Ian_L

You may be aware of this, but Lahinch has a 45 euro replay rate, which you MUST take advantage of.  It's defintely worth playing the Klondyke and Dell holes twice, as well as the rest of the holes, of course.  A pair of members joined me for the second round (one of them was on the greens committee), which was a great experience, especially considering the complicated history of the course.  I also played, Killorglin, Dooks, Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Enniscrone, Carne, Achill, and Connemara, finishing at Lahinch.  All the links courses were great, with probably the most pleasant surprise being Enniscrone.  If I had to skip one, I think it would be Connemara, but again they were all great experiences.

Jason McNamara

The ferry will also save you time from bally to lahinch and you will probably only get lost once on way ;).

In Links of Heaven, Whitley and Phinney have course listings in the back of the book, along with contact info, directions, etc.

The directions for Carne are along the lines of
                         "go to Belmullet, look for [name] grocery store, go another 3 km, turn left.  You will get lost."   :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back