News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: BUDA 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 06:03:14 AM »
Hi Paul

BUDA (more properly The Budapest Cup) is a Ryder Cup-style competition allowing all GCA.com participants (and others) to partake in 3-4 days of golf and camaraderie.  The format changes slightly each year depending on the sponsor (in the case of 2009, Mark Chaplin), but generally follows the RC template, i.e. 4-balls and foursome on Day 1, same on Day 2, Singles on Day 3.  Two courses are usually involved, one for 2 days and one for the other.  Past venues include:

2003--Dornoch/Brora
2004--Painswick/Painswick
2005--Littlestone/Deal
2006--Hoylake/Wallasey
2007--Alwoodley/Moortown
2008--Lundin/Elie

Pre- and post- events at other venues proliferate.  A good time is normally had by all.  Others can elaborate.

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 06:08:01 AM »
What exactly is BUDA? As a newbie I have never heard of it but would be keen on going to Kent (not played any of them) if there are spaces - and I live in the middle of heathlandville in Wokingham, Berks! Hankley is just the most amazing piece of heathland that I have ever seen and one of the most underrated courses in all ranking surveys - a far better track than anything at Wentworth or Walton Heath has to offer and much cheaper. The latter comment may prove controversial - Walton is a very nice course with excellent conditioning and great turf but, as far as rankings go, I thought it was as overrated as Hankley is underrated - the 2 courses squashed into quite a small site and some of the beautiful bunkers in very non-strategic settings too far away from the action!

Paul

BUDA is in fact the Budapest Cup, officially sanctioned by the Most Beloved Figure in Golf and played for annually.  The sides are usually (and loosely) made up up USA V RoW.  Though, now that more Brits have become involved I think the event is starting to evolve into GB V RoW.  The BUDA relies heavily on the the mantra of organize it and they will come.  It takes a fair amount of work to organize one of these events so Pests should thank the movers and shakers heartily and often. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:10:11 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
Chaps,

Slowly getting there, just waiting on some dates and info on top dressing and hollow tining. You want your courses in tip top order! Listening to feedback the plan is starting to look like thus;

Tuesday - Royal St Georges 
Wednesday - Due to ladies morning optional Princes a.m. with Royal Cinque Ports p.m. and formal dinner with guest speaker(s)
Thursday - Royal Cinque Ports

Monday or Friday - side match at Littlestone sponsored by Craig Disher.

As soon as I get clear dates I will open the doors.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
Sounds fabulous. I wouldn't mind a whole day for Prince's either. It's an Open qualifying course, so probably not too bad :)

Also, it's got 27 holes for variety.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 05:33:51 PM »
Good to see mention of Hankley Common. Don't forget Liphook, either, for a good value heath-and-heather course, not to mention Hindhead and its tipping fairways.

Joe Fairey

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
Mark,

From those from US, I think it would be nice to try to avoid Sept 12-13(Walker Cup-Merion) if at all possible....looking forward to BUDA 2009

Joe

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
I'm probably in for June... definitely in for September.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »
what airport should we fly into?  Is heathrow a waste of time on this one, or a requirement?

Jay - If you are traveling directly from the airport to Deal, Gatwick might be your best bet as you can take the train with only one or two changes... about a three hour journey. Cost should be around 30 quid for a return ticket.

Here is a link to a great travel planning site that will help you decide:
http://www.transportdirect.info

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back