News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Goodman

Re: Courses worth making the trip for...
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
"Brancepeth Castle has many exciting holes played across ravines, with the short, par-4 8th followed by terrific back-to-back par 3s and many another fine hole."

I would concur with this, Mark - I thought 1-4 was a very good stretch of holes, and 8-10 playing across the ravines even better.  Brancepeth (by Colt, as I understand it) might qualify as a hidden gem all 'round.

Most of the course was thoroughly unremarkable, but the 5th and 6th at Mount Oswald (in Durham) were striking, the former with a blind tee shot and routed across a big ravine, the latter doglegging left back across the same ravine.  Both (and especially the 6th) seem to demand you play as close to the ravine as you dare, both for distance and angle on the approach.  Those holes intrigued me and stuck out as much better than anything else there.

I thought 4, 11, 13 and 17 at Seaton Carew (Old) had exceptional greensites, but really the whole course was worthy, so perhaps it doesn't qualify for this thread.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
Brancepeth and Seaton Carew (along, probably with The Northumberland) will feature in the NE England GCA get together which I will arrange in June next year (or September if BUDA moves to June).  All are courses worth the trip (whatever the Confidential Guide might say!)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
Having played Northumberland (badly) as Mark's guest I suggest that it is yet another hidden gem in the UK. Of course, if you are going up there, you should also play Berwick (Goswick) and Bamburgh Castle (for the location rather than the architecture) and I have a soft spot for some of the holes at Hartlepool and Cleveland, but you need to be impervious to surrounding industry to enjoy their finer points.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »
DH..Niagara Falls has a flattish, challenging front nine of no great memory.  It is the back nine where things start to heat up.  The stretch from 12-18 is one roller coaster drop after another, reason for which the Porter Cup is rarely decided before the final nine on Day Four.  There is another course in Lewiston, Called Niagara Frontier Country Club.  It had three to five new holes added in the last decade by Carrick (Ian , were you involved?) that work just fine.  Some of the original holes that cannot avoid the escarpment in the course are breathtaking.

Privates west of Rochester that qualify:
Country Club of Buffalo-Ross
Crag Burn-RTJ, Sr.
Stafford-Travis
Moonbrook-Dunn or Park?
Lockport Town and CC-Who knows with renov. by Witter
Wanakah-Ross?  (They don't know.)

Publics west of Rochester that qualify
Sheridan Park-Harries
Diamond Hawk and Harvest Hill-Hurdzan
Links at Ivy Ridge-long story
Holiday Valley-Tryon with renov. by Albanese

Rochester is its own kingdom but very much a part of western New York
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back