News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Tillinghast Illustrated is back!
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »
Some have been wondering where Tillinghast Illustrated has gone. Well, after a most auspicious debut last year, technical difficulties led to an unplanned hiatus.

I am greatly pleased to announce that it is back and we are hoping that we have solved the problems that led to its interruption.

This issue will be one that many here will definitely want to take a look at. In addition to our first ever book reviews, it contains a very in-depth interview with Mark Fine and an article with a lot of before and after photographs of the work by John Collingwood and his firm as they are in the process of doing an incredible restoration of Tilly's Brackenridge Park golf course.

We will be following this project with more photos and comments in future issues as well as other ones that are now about to begin or are in the planning stages.

To access this and past issues, simply go to the Tillinghast Association website and press on the graphic...

We hope you enjoy it and always look for comments (good or bad) as well as suggestions...

Ronald Montesano

Re: Tillinghast Illustrated is back!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
Beneath the graphic on the Interview with Mark Fine, it mistakenly reads "Contains An Interview With Mike Fine."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
Ron,

Actually that was the problem... We all had to go to spelling school. I guess I shouldn't have skipped the days where we worked on proper names!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
Paul "Pete" Dye...Mark "Mike" Fine...I'm sure that Mark will be glad to know that he has a new nickname...We'll call him "M & M Fine."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
2 things -

The link took me to old issues...

And the work at Brackenrige is being done by John Colligan, not Collingwood.  Somehow, its not the spellchecker!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »
Jeff,

You are right, it is COLLIGAN! For some reason I keep writing his name as Collingwood, I'm so sorry John! Fortunately the article contains all proper spellings.

Here is an example, "John Colligan and with Trey Kemp and his team from Colligan Golf Design out of Arlington, Texas were determined to do what most thought an impossibility and have found a way to not only restore 15 of Tilly’s original holes as he designed them, but to even bring back the blocked up river into play once again..."

John & Trey have done a fantastic job.

Actually the link does take you to it. You just scroll to the right and there it is!

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »
Mark,

Can you tell us what was done on the ground at Cherry Hills as a result of your planning?  I know they are now going in a different direction, will the work you've done to date be retained going forward?

I'll be seeing some of the Cherry Hills boys at CC Virginia in a month or so.  I look forward to a status report.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
Wayne,
An extensive article will be coming out in Colorado Avid Golfer Magazine in September that tells part of the CHCC story including what was done and how things will proceed.  I'm excited they are finally moving ahead as it has been over four years since the restoration concept was intiated.  I guess good things take time  ;)
Mark   

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »
Mike Fine, Mark Fine - close enough  ;D  There are a few other corrections/clarifications that I passed on to Phil but overall it is great that he takes the time to do these kind of things.  He is a real gentleman, extremely knowledgable about golf course design, and I very much enjoyed talking to him.  I'm surprised I didn't put him to sleep as we were on the phone forever!

Trey Kemp

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the great article.  Old Brack has been a fun project and we hope everyone enjoys it!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
Mark,

Sorry, I don't subscribe to Colorado Avid Golfer Magazine.  That doesn't help me at all.  I guess I'll just get my answers from the Board in 6 weeks or so.  Thanks.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

Mark_Fine

Re: Tillinghast Illustrated is back! New
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
Wayne,
I wish I could comment more, but the club is very sensitive about disclosure of information on the project.  It took this long to get where we are.  I don't want to see anything slow it up further by posting something on the Internet.  When the article comes out, maybe someone will be able to post it.  That information is fair game as myself, Tom and the club all contributed to it.  I trust you understand.

On a final note, I will say that it should prove to be a great role model (I hope) for restoration of classic golf courses including those that still seek to hold major championships.  You don't always have to re-build/redesign them to help them stand the test of time. 
Mark
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:31:43 PM by Mark_Fine »

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
Wayne,

I will try to post or send you the Colorado Avid Golfer article when it comes out.  FYI Cherry Hills is closing after Labor Day for the additional work being done.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back