News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

FROM MY PHOTO STASH: Guess the course! (Answers posted) New
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »
Bonus points for guessing the number of each hole. Points may be redeemed for a more voluminous ego.
A few close guesses but no one has nailed it. This is the 7th hole from the Arroyo nine at Palmilla ( Nicklaus design in Cabo San Lucas). That cactus in the foreground clearly affects play.

I thought you'd get this one Huckster. It is the 15th at The Ranch (Casey O'Callahan, San Jose, CA). I haven't had the priveledge of touring the Cal Club, but I expect it looks nothing like The Ranch...  I was waiting for someone to guess Riviera. :P

Ballyneal #16 (Renaissance Design, Holyoke, Co)

Dismal River #18 (Nicklaus design "near" Mullen, NE)

Bodega Harbour (CA.)#5. The hole does have its problems, but the designer(s)' hands were clearly tied by property lines. The course is creditied to Robert Trent Jones Jr., but I believe Kyle Phillips (RTJ2 associate at the time) provided the principle design for the front 9.

Bodega Harbour #16. A short par 4. I had a huge tail wind. That 5 wood plugged in a greenside bunker.

Crooked Creek #3. A short par 4 with a tree smack in the middle of the lay-up zone.

8 Rustic Canyon #15 (Hanse et al., Moorpark, CA). I love the visibility of the green contours in this shot.

Lake Chabot #16 (William Locke, Oakland, CA.). A short par 4 with ample fairway short and right of the green behind the line of trees.

Apple Mountain (Camino, CA.) putting green.

Another gimme for Huck. Cinnabar Hills (Harbottle III design, San Jose, CA.), Mountain nine 3rd green and 4th hole.

Palmilla again, this time the 4th hole of the Ocean nine.

Edgewood (George and Tom Fazio, Lake Tahoe, Nevada) 18th.

Bodega Harbour #5 again.

Tobacco Road #5 (Strantz design, Sanford, NC.). Did the logo on the flag give it away?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:05:28 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David_Tepper

Re: FROM MY PHOTO STASH: Guess the courses...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:14 AM »
Kyle -

#5, #6 & #14 are from Bodeda Harbor GL at Bodega Bay. I am pretty sure that pics #4 & #14 are from the same hole, that awful double dog-leg par-5 on the front-9. #6 is taken on one of the closing holes along the marsh.

#13 is Edgewood at Lake Tahoe.

DT

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:06 AM »
I believe the 8th picture is the 15th hole at Rustic Canyon.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Brian Cenci

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:30 AM »
#12 La Costa (not sure, looks like #5) and #15 is Tobacco Road

Scott Szabo

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:14:46 AM »
I believe the 3rd to be the 16th hole at Ballyneal and the 4th to come from Dismal River, but I wouldn't know which hole.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Birkert

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
No 15 looks like No. 4 at Tobacco Road

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »
2 - Golf Club of California?
8 is definitely 15 at Rustic

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
11 must be Cinnabar Hills 5(?) Lake (?)--the only golf course in the world that Toim Huckaby has been known to despise......

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
#1 is The Ocean Course at Palmilla?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »
11 must be Cinnabar Hills 5(?) Lake (?)--the only golf course in the world that Toim Huckaby has been known to despise......

You have me very very wrong there, Rich.  I love Cinnabar Hills, always have.  We disagreed way back when you said Cinnabar was better than Pasatiempo, and I still believe Pasatiempo is superior - but I never professed anything but great fondness for Cinnabar Hills.  It remains a second golf home for me and while I don't like the high prices, I do love the course and defend it all the time - ask Mike Golden! He's the one who despises it.

In any case, you are almost correct... and the one course I truly do despise is ironically enough represented here.... here are some I know, not already identified, or guessed wrong....

Picture 1 is Cabo del Sol Desert (Weiskopf) course #18
Picture 2 is from the course I do despise - THE RANCH AT SILVER CREEK - this is #15
Picture 9 is Lake Chabot GC, #16
Picture 11 is #4 on the Mountain Nine at Cinnabar Hills... and it is interestingly my favorite hole of the entire 27 there...

TH

Ian_L

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
#9 is the 16th hole at Lake Chabot Golf Course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »

Ian - beat ya to it - see my post above!   ;D

That is a pretty cool golf hole, no?  I've never been able to get a drive on the green... you kinda have to bounce it through the trees to do so - but damn it seems to be too tempting NOT to try....

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »
I believe......and the 4th to come from Dismal River, but I wouldn't know which hole.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
Picture 5 might be the suckiest hole that ever sucked.

I'm not aware of a better example where the beauty of the view is offset by the greasiness of the hole.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
Picture 5 might be the suckiest hole that ever sucked.

I'm not aware of a better example where the beauty of the view is offset by the greasiness of the hole.

That is one STRANGE golf hole, for sure.  The picture doesn't show the blindness nor the weirdness.  If you care about score on that hole Jon, you must have to play it something like PW + PW + 9iron....

Ian_L

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »

Ian - beat ya to it - see my post above!   ;D

That is a pretty cool golf hole, no?  I've never been able to get a drive on the green... you kinda have to bounce it through the trees to do so - but damn it seems to be too tempting NOT to try....

TH

Oops, didn't see your post in time.  And yes, I think it might be my favorite hole on the course (although I'm not a huge fan of Chabot).  Last time I played there a group behind us had one shot that ended up on the 17th tee, and another that rolled under the cart by the 16th green and went back down the hill!  The back of that green is extremely difficult (I hadn't putted off the green in a while...).  If you're not going for the green, the farther right you go gives you the best angle, which calls for some interesting shots off the hill.  It's a shame they feel the need to put OB all over the place though...

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

2 - Golf Club of California?

Oh my, you need to come visit the coastal region of NorCal and you will never make that mistake again ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

CJ Carder

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
No 15 looks like No. 4 at Tobacco Road

Actually I thought it might be #5 at Tobacco Road, the short par 4.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »
#1 is Palmilla Arroyo #7

Greg Tallman

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »
#12 La Costa (not sure, looks like #5) and #15 is Tobacco Road

#12 is Palmilla Ocean #4

Tom Huckaby

Re: FROM MY PHOTO STASH: Guess the course! (Most answers posted)
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
Apologies to Greg for my bad guess re pic #1 - guess my memory is poor as I've played Palmilla also!   But man doesn't that look at least a little like #18 on the Weiskopf course?  Or maybe my memory is way out of whack....

As for the rest, yes a few are right in my backyard.   ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 02:59:13 PM »
I'm going with pic 3 as 16th at BallyNeal. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »
Apologies to Greg for my bad guess re pic #1 - guess my memory is poor as I've played Palmilla also!   But man doesn't that look at least a little like #18 on the Weiskopf course?  Or maybe my memory is way out of whack....

As for the rest, yes a few are right in my backyard.   ;)

Uhhhhhhhhhh, OK ???

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:42:01 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
OK so I was wacko.

It sucks getting old.  My memory is shot.

;D ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
OK so I was wacko.

It sucks getting old.  My memory is shot.

;D ;D

You simply need a refresher... which Ran and I are going to work on I believe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back