News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

From yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Making Dying Days Count

Please take a moment to read and reflect on this story. Eric Knapp is a friend of a friend of mine. I've spoken to him briefly a few times - yesterday, in fact - and he's really a stand up guy. He followed a dream many on here have: 10 years ago he bought a little mom and pop 9 holer and transformed it into a pretty solid 18 hole course, one that has even hosted some local tournaments. I've played it a few times; the first time it was still mid-transition and wasn't in very good shape, the last was last summer and it was in such good shape I hit 2 drives that defied belief, the run out must have been incredible.

Kind of puts things in perspective.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bart Bradley

Re: A Golf Course Owner's Tale: a short, tough, but worthwhile read
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
Humbling story.  But for the grace of God....

Bart

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
George, so very hard of a story to read, but so valuable of a story to reflect upon.  Gentlemen like Eric Knapp with the courage they demonstrate in the face of the inevitable help make those of us who are currently more fortunate in health understand:

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that -- John Donne

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »
Thanks, George.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  It is both uplifting and sad to read stories like this.  What a thoughtful thing of him to do to raise money for others with what he's going through.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
I'm sorry to hear things are going so poorly for Eric.  I met him once at the First Tee of Pittsburgh where he would drop of his kids while he went for treatment.  The Executive Director at the time, Bruce Stephan, would keep them entertained by letting them use the simulators while they waited.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:51 AM »
Another case for making every day count.  How often do we hear it, and how many of us actually do it.  He appears to be a really decent guy.  A damned shame. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »
Thanks for posting the article.  Sounds like a first class guy that the game of golf will surely miss.

I was touched...  Thanks again, George.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
Well, I saw Eric again this morning when our mutual friend met up with me at the course. Eric was in pretty bad shape, but still managed to say how touched he was by the many phone calls and text messages from all over the country he had received in response to the article. He actually managed to summon up the strength to videotape messages for family and friends this morning. He is a true inspiration who makes all the talk of athletes as heroes pale in comparison.

I also managed to scrap it around a few holes, if you can call my pathetic play that. And yet somehow I was able to be thankful for what I did and have. I've never been one to feel sorry for myself ever, and I certainly won't ever again. Be thankful for every day and every blessing - that's been shown to me repeatedly throughout my life.

I'll likely be going out once a week or so for awhile; if anyone has any thoughts they'd care to pass along, I'll try my best.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:36:55 PM »
Bump.

Some months ago I entertained Eric at MPCC and was astonished that he was able to play some incredible golf considering the shape he was in and the pain he was experiencing.

I spoke on the phone with him today and he is still battling on. His  young children think he was faking the seriousness of his condition thinking he should be dead by now.

He cannot speak very well so we now communicate by e-mail.

It may seem like a strange request but I do wish this dysfunctional family of ours at GCA would send him a short message wishing him well.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
Bob - that is certainly far from too much to ask.  If he would be receptive to emails, please send me his address, or post it here if you think that's OK.  Otherwise, will he read posts in here?

TH
huckaby72@yahoo.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:53:02 PM »
Tom:

His e-mail address is:

egnapp@zoominternet.net

Bob

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »
Kind of makes arguing the merits of shaggy-edged bunkers, or subair systems seem ridiculous.
Thanks for the post.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Bumping this heroic tale for Mr. Huntley

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
It may seem like a strange request but I do wish this dysfunctional family of ours at GCA would send him a short message wishing him well.

Gladly done.  Thanks for posting his email address.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
Sir Boab, thanks for the bump.  Mission "good cheer" for this inspirational gentleman is in progress.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
It's a touching story, one with an all too familiar ring.

Perhaps, in the not too distant future, cancer will become a manageable disease.

Cancer research is working toward that end.

I would ask that each of you consider making a year end donation to a cancer research foundation.

Too many young people, people like Eric, with little children succumb to cancer every year.

Young children shouldn't see their father or mother, the people they idolize, ebbing away, weakening and dying, daily, until the end. 
It's incredibly unpleasant and takes a terrible toll on everyone.

Your contribution to cancer research can help change that all too familiar scenario.

Thanks

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »
I haven't contacted Eric in a few weeks, but the last time he texted me, it was rather remarkable. He stated that in some ways his cancer has been a blessing, as it has brought untold kindness and outreach from friends and strangers alike. My phone died and I haven't been able to retrieve the message, but if I can, I will post it on here, it is amazing.

Thanks for reminding me to contact Eric.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back