News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Holes with Two Greens
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
Broadmoor in Portland OR has one on the 1st hole. The closer hole is for higher handicaps. The old 2nd green is also a green on the 1st hole for lower handicaps. Their is a 50 yard wide slough betwwn the greens.

Tumwater Valley in Olympia WA has (had) two greens on one hole. It's been so long I can't remember the holoe at all except the two greens

Desert Canyon near Orondo WA has two holes with two greens, the 2nd on the desert 9 and the 7th on the lakes nine. Both are fronted by large ravines and the dsign is for higher handicappers to play the shorter time as an aid to play.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
Not sure if it was mentioned... Pete Dye made two greens for the finisher at Blackwolf Run. It's now the closer on the meadow valey course. The river separates the two, allowing the high handi to not take on the daunting carry across the Sheboygan.
 Although the short green is fronted by a hundred little moguls. Ala, Firestones mini version on the 16th.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 07:15:53 AM »
AC,
It was mentioned very early, but not with the specifics of your post.  I remember it well.  What is neat about Meadow Valleys Blackwolf Run is the 10th green serving as a green for two holes.  It plays as the green for the usual hole and also for a hole that exists only for championship tournament play.  It is a par four that plays straight up the hill, teeing off from near the first tee of the River course.  If you stand on the 10th at MV, facing the back, go to the left side and look straight down.

http://www.destinationkohler.com/golf/bwr/valleys_detail.html

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
I played the original version of the tenth hole. It's the only major change to the original course. (other than the bastardized new addition) They lowered that green 34' and made it a wavey mess. The original was one of Pete's most humorous jokes. A perfectly flat green at the end of the long up hill shot was priceless.

It's my opinion that Herb took the Mona Lisa and ripped her in half to create a 36 hole facility.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:25 AM »
#6 at Mayacoo Lakes in West Palm Beach

There's a hole at PGA at the Reserve in Port St. Lucie, don't remember the course there or the number.

BCrosby

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:34 AM »
Many courses in the SE had dual winter and summer greens until the late 1930's when better Bermuda hybrids became available.

East Lake is a prime example. Most holes had distinct winter and summer greens and green surrounds. Remnants of some of them are still visible. The choices as to which became the permanent green were interesting.

Nicklaus's CC of the South has a dual green on a short par 3. The greens are divided by a creek that cuts diagonally between them. I've always liked the hole.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back