News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

goldj

Holes with Two Greens
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
My club is contemplating changing one of its holes so that it would have two greens and play would alternate between them.

Other than the 8th hole at Pine Valley and the 18th hole at the Meadow Valley Course at Blackwolf Run, where one of the greens requires a significant carry over a water hazard,  but I can't think of any others.

Others?

Kevin Pallier

Re: Holes with Two Greens
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Do the double greens at St. Andrews count ?  ;D

goldj

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »
No.  I'm trying to identify holes where there are two entirely different greens and the hole is moved from one to the other and back. 

Thanks for asking.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:33:36 PM »
10 at Riviera, designed because of heavy play on less than durable turf.

8 at Twin Eagles, where two were built for the same reason as 18 at BR.

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Will MacEwen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »
9 at Pacific Dunes.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »
I remember Doak's early route plans of Barnbougle Dunes had a short 10th hole with an alternate green site, because the first was so close to the beach it was under thread from wind-blown sand compromising the surface. It never eventuated however...

MM

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:54:30 PM »
#12 at World Woods Pine Barrens.  Here's the routing plan:

Here's the club's description of the hole:

"The number one handicap hole on the Barrens. This hole offers great variety with two separate greens. The left makes a long hole even longer but offer less resistance on the approach. When the right green is utilized, the yardage is reduced, but the undulating green is both elevated guarded by waste bunkers."

The shot up to the upper green is daunting, with bunkers strewn all over the steep hill guarding the green.  The shot to the lower green is longer but open in front for a run up shot.

Here's the club's recounting of the televised match between Phil Mickelson and David Toms:

Come to the Dixie Cup October 18-19 and you can see it first hand!

David Schofield

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »
Doesn't the Creek Club have three (3) greens on one of the holes (18?)?

I have some vague recollection that there's a course out there with two greens and the player gets to select which green to play to.  I can't imagine this is tournament "legal", but it is an interesting, albeit unnecessary, twist on the "risk vs. reward" design mentality.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:07:08 AM by David Schofield »

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
The 11th hole, par three, at the Love Barefoot Landing Course in Myrtle Beach.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

CJ Carder

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
#6 at True Blue
http://www.fishclub.com/trueblue/hole6.cfm

Tee Shot...

Approach to the left green AKA the more "straightaway" option...

Approach to the right green AKA the one where you better position your tee shot carefully...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:22:54 AM »
The 2nd hole at Stephen Kay's Scotland Run GC in NJ has 2 greens:

www.scotlandrun.com/courseTour.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:34:07 AM »
Fazio did a hole on the front 9 at Sand Ridge (OH) and also the 6th on the West course at Belfair. (SC) There is a course in China ( I believe) that has an alternate green for every hole. In fact, I think that one set is a certain grass and the other set is a different grass-depends on the time of year.

Tony Nysse
Asst Supt
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 12:46:27 AM »
#5 at Chambers Bay.

Par 4 that can is 440 to 480 to the longer, straight-away green and 320-350 to an alternate green tucked into a dune on the left.

Will probably make for some interesting options come US AM and Open.

Scott

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »
Eisenhower Park on Long Island.

Every par-three on the Blue & White courses are dual holes, not just the greens.

The Red Course has dual greens, if memory serves me corrrectly, on holes 4 and 6 (both par-4's).

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:41:27 PM by Philip Young »

David Schofield

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:05:44 AM »
I have some vague recollection that there's a course out there with two greens and the player gets to select which green to play to.  I can't imagine this is tournament "legal", but it is an interesting, albeit unnecessary, twist on the "risk vs. reward" design mentality.

Found it!  Craguns (Brainerd, MN) Dutch Legacy Hole #14 Description: "While here on the tee, you need to pick which of the holes two greens to play to. The left green, while protected front left by some marsh, offers a continuous land path up to it. In contrast, the right green requires a long second shot that carries a marsh. That decision made, drive the ball over the center of the hill in the fairway and knock the ball onto the green you chose."  From: http://www.craguns.com/golf/hole_14.html 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »
13 at Pelican Hills South, or at least it did before the renovation.

18 at Manufacturers.   

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 01:28:44 AM »
I have mixed feelings on this. Intellectually it makes sense. However, I have seen it at Pac Dunes and Chambers Bay. Frankly I prefer one of the greens and could care less if I ever see the other.  I only played Blackwof one time so i did not get to play both there.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »
The 14th hole at The Lakes in Sydney has two greens - one for the men with a long water carry and another for the women close to where the lay-up point is.
We are doing a better green for the women to the right with the aim of making it a great hole hole to either green - and not just the men's green.

And every course I played in Japan had two greens - one bent and one Korai for the winter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »
There are literally 1,000 courses in Japan with two greens on EVERY hole, and most of them stink.

On rare occasion, there might be a place where it makes sense to build two separate greens -- if you love both green sites, if they truly add variety of shots played, and if they both fit into the flow of the next hole.

The architect who I have seen use them most often in recent years is Tom Fazio ... he picked up the idea when he built an alternate green for the 8th at Pine Valley, and decided he could use the idea to make a very very small green for a short par-4 (or a par-3) with an alternate green so he wouldn't have to worry about wear and tear on the small one.  Shadow Creek, Pelican Hill, and Pronghorn all have versions of this hole, and I'm sure he's done it elsewhere as well.

Paul Nash

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 05:43:27 AM »
The 17th hole at Manor House in Castle Coombe has 2 greens on a very short and very elevated par 3. However, the New Course at The Hatfield London Club has 2 greens on every (or nearly every) hole.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
I lived on a course west of Green Bay called Thornberry Creek, done by Rick Jacobson. The original nine hole course there had two flags on every hole; sometimes you just had a really big green with two separate sections and other times you actually had two separate greens.

The schtick was so you could play it twice around without playing the same "course". I believe the concept was lifted from one of the courses at Desert Mountain, which Jacobson also did while working for Nicklaus.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:04:44 AM by Matt Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 07:14:36 AM »
The 9th hole at Pine Valley has two distinct greens.  The green was designed by Alison and likely built by Flynn with some help from G. Thomas.

I believe all the holes at East Lake originally had two distinct greens next to one another for summer and winter play.  Only single greens today.  Bob Crosby more than likely knows when that changed.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:08:21 AM by Wayne Morrison »

David_Madison

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 07:15:11 AM »
Balsam Mountain preserve in western NC has a hole, I believe #5 or #6, with two greens. It's a par-4. The first green sits straight-away, but the second green turns the hole into a dogleg left, and that green sits out on a peninsula with a valley below and mountains behind.

The Renegade Course at Dessert Mountain has two greens for every hole. The green with a white flag is typically larger, less severe, and provides for a shorter hole. The gold flagged greens are far tougher and make the course a good deal longer.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »
Javier Arana designed the 16th at Club de Campo in Madrid with alternate greens. The one that is most used for play is banked and can only be reached from a blind second shot. The alternate leaves a shorter hole, to an elevated green.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:30:13 AM »
First hole at Edgartown Golf Club on Martha's Vineyard. It is a 9 hole course and the first plays to the shorter green, and the tenth green is longer and plays over a small water hazard. I will post pics in a few days.

Mink Meadows another nine holer on The Vineyard also has a hole with two greens but no water is involved.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:33:43 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back