News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
  I would like to hear comments from people that have played it. Is it fun for the mid-handicapper? Worth the trip? What other courses is it similar to? Is it worthy of a major?

TX Golf

Re: Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »
Anthony,

If you just search for "Chambers Bay" there are probably 15-20 threads that discuss the course in great detail.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »
Worth a trip from where? What do you consider worth a trip?
Worthy of a major? You bet.
In a narrow sense, Sandy links-like mine reclamation in the heart of a major metroplitan area, but extremely scenic, and owned by the public, it has no comparisons.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

BVince

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »
Anthony,

It is a very interesting and good golf course.  Although I am a low handicapper, it should be fun for the mid if you play the right tees.  There are some very wide fairway areas and lots of waste bunkers, there should be plenty of pics on this website or other places online.

Is it worth the trip?  Well I would say yes and no.  I would not come for just one round at Chambers Bay, but if you can squeze another course or two into your plans, then I think it is well worth it.  Try researching the Home Course, Gold Mountain, Courses at New Castle, etc.

Chambers is a fairly unique course and hard to compare to others.  Lots of "waste areas," good bunkering, and highly contoured greens.  We are starting to transition into the fall up here so be prepared for all cool weather conditions with possibly lingering rain in you come in the next couple of months.

Is it worthy of a major?  Yes, I think so.  It is very challenging and I am curious to see how they set the mowing patterns for the Open, but it will be sure to be a challenge for the best players in the game.  Grass conditions are improving and should continue to improve during the fall. 

Hope that helps.  Enjoy the round.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »
Play the right tees and you will have a blast. I made the trek from the East coast to play and I loved it.
Mr Hurricane

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
You will love it! Great course with numerous options, just be prepared for a walk.

John Handley

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »
fun course to play and certainly worth the trip.  I still cannot believe they are going to play a US Open there though.   ???
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:47:05 AM »

Anthony,

Chambers Bay will not let you down. no matter what you have heard. It has a fabulous setting, is as difficult as you imagine and is well worth the trip, no matter where you are coming from. 

I don't think there are a lot of comparables but it is certainly a challenge, no matter what your handicap.

The City of Tacoma has promoted it as a walking course and although I have walked it a few times, it is a difficult walk for seniors and some "mid-amateurs". It is, however, a "must" in this part of the world.

It is also a lot of fun which is important to me. Love the place.. Except for No. 9.

Bob Jenkins

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49:20 AM »
  Chambers is definitely worth the trip even on it's own merit.  It still has a way to go as the greens need to mature and the hillsides need to fill in a bit,  but the plusses are huge.  Gorgeous views and elevation changes with wonderful variety and movement.  Directional changes make for lots of different type shots and some of the par 4's are heroic.  We played the back tees which was plenty of challenge ( everyone was in the 3-5 hcp range).  36 holes there are a must and I would recommend you try to get one of the experienced tour caddies.  Ideally you could try to get on Sahalee ( really second rate compared to C.B.) and Aldarra,  a pretty good but somewhat schizophrenic Tom Fazio if you have 3-4 days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back