News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

New groove rule
« on: August 24, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »
Who is going to adopt the new clubs as a soon as available and who is going to wait it out as long as possible.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

RJ_Daley

Re: New groove rule
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »
Ralph, while it has nothing to do with aspects of GC architecture...only equipment marketting, I don't plan to change anytime soon, assuming my Ping I/3 blades are square grooved... It hardly makes any difference to us double digit handi hackers, does it really?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
Ralph, while it has nothing to do with aspects of GC architecture...only equipment marketting, I don't plan to change anytime soon, assuming my Ping I/3 blades are square grooved... It hardly makes any difference to us double digit handi hackers, does it really?

Well, I was thinking there might be some effects, but probably more maintanence oriented.

"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »
Ralph, trying to think of some GC architecture application, should we ask any archies looking in, if they would design more backboards into intended pin areas of their greens in the future?  Will the new 'rounded off' edges and smaller groove area cause any designers to adjust their shaping of greens?  Do surrounds and shoulders become stronger factors in GCAs thinking?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
I first heard about the consideration of the new groove rule several years ago while playing with a former president of the USGA.  Hearing him describe the evils of deep, sharp grooves was almost a commercial the wonders of groove technology.  It almost made me want to go out and buy new clubs with deeper grooves.

I don't really think the change will make the difference they are hoping for, but if it does I want to use my current grooves as long as possible.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
I think the proposed change will not really affect the "normal" square grooves, or at least the type see in your normal set of irons. The change will however, affect greatly the deep grooves in wedges. The Cleveland "Zip" grooves and the Callaway "Mack Daddy" grooves will be a thing of the past. But from what I have heard, the standard grooves, like the Ping Eye2, etc, will be fine. "Square" grooves are ok, "Box" grooves are not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back