News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Avore

Access to Yale Golf Course
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm traveling to Georgia and would like someone to hook me up with a tee time at ANGC, but I'm curious to know more about the visitor access to Yale.

I'm traveling up that way next week and have read on GCA that guest access isn't quite as strict as other private clubs, and I would really enjoy the experience as it's been a while since playing my last Raynor/Mac course.

Again, if I sound like a jerk trying to trespass into a private club, that's wholeheartedly not my intention--just simply curiosity.

For what it's worth, I'll gladly buy lunch and provide lousy conversation and even worse golf for your entertainment purposes if someone elects to share a cart (KIDDING!)  next Thursday the 28th  ;)

Thanks--

------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Pete Lavallee

Re: Access to Yale Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
Chris,

I've heard the policy is quite simple; your Pro calls and they allow you to play. Any Pro can call, from either a muni or private club. Hopefully those in the know will confirm this.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
I guess people were right about this place, calling it Golf Club Access.

Don't count on it. Asking for access to private clubs through members of this site is a good way to make yourself Public Enemy #1, ESPECIALLY if you ask for it access on the main board.

Chris Avore

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
And to think I was going to ask about Shinnecock, NGLA, and the Country Club next.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »

Don't count on it. Asking for access to private clubs through members of this site is a good way to make yourself Public Enemy #1, ESPECIALLY if you ask for it access on the main board.

JKM,

I'm quite sure that his tongue was planted firmly in cheek.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

JKM,

I'm quite sure that his tongue was planted firmly in cheek.

Well, since he's certainly quite new, I wanted to make sure there was no confusion.
Charles--I, myself, do not mind people asking to play. I'm at Mid South Club in Pinehurst. Feel free to ask to play anytime.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:53:30 PM »
Chris,
I am a member of a university club - the kind which is prevalent in most of the major cities across the country. My club, which is hardly exclusive in any way (other than status as an alumnis) has a reciprocal arrangement with the Yale Club. I suspect others do as well. I would gladly host you out there if I lived anywhere near Yale, but I'm in Chicago.  However, my advice would be to ask your friends that might have a similar club membership and they can probably arrange access for you. 

good luck,

Mike

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »
I have been told (but have never confirmed) that Yale alums can call and get access for "unaccompanied guests."  If that's right -- and again, I'm not sure it is, though someone on here likely knows -- then you just need to find a Yale alum to call for you. 

Chris Avore

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
Carl and Mike,
Thanks for the ideas.  I've actually confirmed with the pro shop at Yale that you're right about the unaccompanied guest policy.  I've heard the course is in really great shape this time of year on top of it all...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
Your first post and you're criticizing the discussion group?  ???

Chris,
I haven't played Yale in 8 or 9 years.  It was great back then and has been vastly improved since.  You should love it.

Chris Avore

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Your first post and you're criticizing the discussion group?  ???

funny, i thought the exact same thing.

Chris,
I haven't played Yale in 8 or 9 years.  It was great back then and has been vastly improved since.  You should love it.

I'm definitely excited about the possibility.  I played the Old White at Greenbrier in the spring, fresh after Lester George's four year restoration and it was great.  Plus I'm wrapping up George B's CB Mac book right now so it would be great to see more of the work up close and in person...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:13:31 PM by Chris Avore »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
The first, and most appropriate step, is always to have your pro call their pro.

Those guys have a network.

It also kind of depends on whether you are a dickhead or not.  Seriously, why would your pro spend the effort otherwise?  ;)

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »
Chris..the information you've been given is quite accurate.  Access to Yale is quite liberal - have a pro, any pro call; use a member's name; have an alumnus call.  I played about a month ago.  Was going to have an alumnus call but coincidentally played with a fellow who was a member at Yale.  Mentioned my interest and he said just use his name.  Did so and was able to play with no hassles.

The course is spectacular. The third is worth the price of admission. As I recall greens fees were $100.  Then played another 9 for I think $25 including a cart!  It was a great day....enjoy!

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
You might try a post on the New Haven CT Craigslist page:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/

Occasionally benevolent souls will take you under their wing
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:14:28 PM »
I'm an optimist, so I'll say give the Fuquar guy a break.  I'm guessing that he was excitedly inferring that GCA's sense of kindred spirit might result in some male bonding at the world's great golf courses.  Plus, he didn't use any negative yellow faces in his post, so my sense of optimism remains.  In my next life, when I am wealthy and join a private club, I'll host all of you one day each year!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Was going to have an alumnus call but coincidentally played with a fellow who was a member at Yale.  Mentioned my interest and he said just use his name.  Did so and was able to play with no hassle

Chris, just drop the name Bush and if that doesn't work try Clinton.

Good luck.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:25 AM »
email Gilette Silver and perhaps you can hook up with him. If you are successful, please report
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Chris Avore

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »
Hey guys,

Looks like I'm good to go next week. 

I'll protect the names of the innocent and the guilty unless told otherwise, but thanks for all the ideas.

I'll post photographs to my Flickr gallery next week.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back