News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Golf Near Baltray/Dublin?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
I have a trip scheduled to Ireland end of September. We have a couple open slots when we will be near Baltry (County Louth) and just north of Dublin near Portmarnock. If you have ideas about a hidden gem near those venues I'd appreciate it. Re Dublin we are already playing Portmarnock/Portmarnock Links/The Island, and Royal Dublin isn't an option. Lesser known courses even 9 holers worth seeing would be great.

Thanks.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Pitner

Re: Golf Near Baltray/Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
Doug,

How about Laytown & Bettystown Golf Club?  I haven't played it, but have heard pretty good things.  I believe it's near Drogheda. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »
Doug, years ago I played Howth GC.  No one will mistake it for a great course, but it is on a promontory outside Dublin proper.  It was great fun and a nice diversion.

http://www.howthgolfclub.ie/
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
Laytown and Bettystown is a good choice.  Very close to Baltray.
Also, St. Anne's (directly adjacent to Roayal Dublin)
http://www.stanneslinksgolf.com/
or Seapoint which is directly adjacent to Baltray could be good options

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Rory,

Which of those have you played?
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:55 PM »
Admittedly none.  I have walked around Laytown and seen bits and pieces of Seapoint and St. anne's from the neighboring courses.  My first choice, based simply on what I saw would be Laytown and Bettystown.

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
 Rory,

I ask because I would go with your view if you played it. I also was curious about St. Annes since it sits on the land of Royal Dublin and Portmarnock just outside the city.
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »
My sense is that Laytown has a bit more character than the other two though I am confident that they are all enjoyable if not competitive with the bigger names in the area from a design perspective.

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »
A friend of mine is a member at Carton House near Dublin. Although not "historic", it apparently has quite the golf course in the Montgomerie course.

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »
Its a bit of a drive  but Royal County Down could be played as a day trip from Dublin.  As I recall it can't be much more than an hour or two from Baltray. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
Its a bit of a drive  but Royal County Down could be played as a day trip from Dublin.  As I recall it can't be much more than an hour or two from Baltray. 

Thanks Dan--fortunately RCD is on our itinerary before we head south to Baltray and then Dublin.

Dan Moore

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
RCD will not disappoint. 

A choice near Dublin then would be the European Club. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
Doug

If it were me I would look no further than a second day at The Island.  There isn't much point in leaving the parking lot of a great course in search of a great course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Justin Broderson

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:04 PM »
Just recently made a trip to Ireland and that area about a month ago.  I would check out a course previously mentioned, the Carton House monty course.  Its an inland links kept in fantastic condition.  Some gigantic bunkers and one of my favorite finishing holes.  It was really nice to relax for a round at what felt like and is a country club after playing the other links courses.  I will try and post some picks later.

P.S.  You may also just want to play another round at the Island, its that good.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:34 AM »
Doug,
How about the K club?   ;D

You didn't specifically say if you're playing Co Louth.  If you're not, I think it's worth more than one round.  Couldn't go wrong with an extra round at the Island either.  Both of those courses are really fun.

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
Doug,
How about the K club?   ;D

You didn't specifically say if you're playing Co Louth.  If you're not, I think it's worth more than one round.  Couldn't go wrong with an extra round at the Island either.  Both of those courses are really fun.

John,

I think we'll pass on the K Club thank you...We are playing County Louth and I'm looking for another course nearby to play the same day.

All,

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far. The Island was the first course I played during my first (and only) visit to Ireland in 1994, and it will be our last course played on this trip.  It was a wonderful intro to the golf (and people) in Ireland and I'm looking forward to playing there again. Hopefully the only difference will be in the greens fee, which must be 4x what we paid in 1994.

One of the problems I'm seeing is we're looking for weekend rounds here and it looks like outside times aren't available at the clubs mentioned. (Note: This is something to be aware of if you're looking to visit Ireland or Scotland).  However, we will try contacting the clubs mentioned directly.

Appreciate any other thoughts too. Thanks.

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »
Doug,
I would play Laytown and Bettystown - I have played it several times - it is always in good order has many genuine links holes along with one or two quirky ones.  It is where Des Smyth learnt to play golf.
Johnny

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
Doug -

Don't know if you want to consider an inland course, but Headfort apparently has weekend times.  I know Jack Marr has written about it here (positively, though perhaps not effusively).  Still, Headfort has 36 holes, so securing a weekend game shouldn't be a problem.  I think the Old course is the pick, but will defer to others who've been there.  Google Earth has it at 50 minutes (due west) from Co. Louth.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »
Yes, I think Headfort is great. Two very different courses - one old style and the other maybe more American. It's about an hour from Dublin.

In Dublin, there's also St. Anne's. I believe they've done it up. It was a pretty flat links layout. Don't know what it's like now.

And there is Corballis. It's a public links with a few great holes. Langer used to practice there before the Open, I beleive. Recently I heard that the flat holes have just been allowed to grow in, so there are only 14 holes in play now. And the rest of the course is not being maintained very well.
John Marr(inan)

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »
Thanks again for the ideas so far. We are booked for a round at Howth (James Braid--whose courses in Scotland we really enjoyed) on Sunday but it's very difficult to find a course open to visitors on a Saturday morning. Laytown, Seapoint say no. Has anyone played Ardee or Bellewstown, both near Drogheda?

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks again for the ideas so far. We are booked for a round at Howth (James Braid--whose courses in Scotland we really enjoyed) on Sunday but it's very difficult to find a course open to visitors on a Saturday morning. Laytown, Seapoint say no. Has anyone played Ardee or Bellewstown, both near Drogheda?

The big guns in the area you need to book for weekends are TEC and Portmarmock Links because they aren't really members' clubs.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
If you are a Braid fan, you may want to try Mullingar.  Approximately 50 minutes from Dublin.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »
Wow, Mullingar was designed by Mr. Braid?  I played there on a wedding trip almost 25 years ago (the father of the bride, a retired Colonel in the Irish Army was a member).  Fun course, very American parklandish, and lots of different trees on the site.  As I recall it was built for some very wealthy man with an arboreal (arboristic?) bent.  Not very linksy tho. . .

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 06:46:01 PM »
Doug there are two nine holers I'd love to see pictures and get reports on.

Sutton Golf Course is a short links that for many years was hom eto Joe Carr one of Irelands top amatuer golfers.   I dropped in at Easter to meet the friendliest pro ever. He as  an open competion each wednesday for  an unbelievable 15 euro's.  "Call me the day before and I'll find you some friendly members to go out with".  You can see it across the water from Portmarnock.

Rush is further north.  Either might make a nice change of pace and be idael for  3 club competion between your group.

Played Portmarnock Links recently and can report it's the real deal, as is Arklow to the south.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
We had dinner in the Joe Carr room at Sutton, which has only 1 window that looks at Portmarnock.   Great club with a couple of cool looking holes by the water....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back