News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Homsey

Re: Pennhills Is Still Open (Walter Travis)
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
This is an old posting, but I just found it today and felt I should reply.

The front nine at Pennhills (the Travis 9, except for hole #1) is one of my favorites.  I think it fits the definition of "charming" that was being tossed about in another thread the other day.  There are some great green sites, including the 7th that Ian mentiioned--though I would insist that the #4 greensite is equally as good---and wild!

The Travis holes at Pennhills are 2 through 10.  The Wilson holes are 11 through 18.  Except for the 2 holes that were built to accomodate the location of that great clubhouse, the course follows Travis's original 18 hole layout.  Wilson didn't change that, but the green sites he put in are no match for the old Travis greens.  From first 9 to back 9, it's like playing two different courses.  I find the Wilson 9 interesting only because of the ingenuous use of the meandering creek in Travis's original layout.

Pennhills has been a regular participant in the Travis Cup competition and finished just a point or so out of first this past August. 

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
This is an old posting, but I just found it today and felt I should reply.

The front nine at Pennhills (the Travis 9, except for hole #1) is one of my favorites.  I think it fits the definition of "charming" that was being tossed about in another thread the other day.  There are some great green sites, including the 7th that Ian mentiioned--though I would insist that the #4 greensite is equally as good---and wild!

The Travis holes at Pennhills are 2 through 10.  The Wilson holes are 11 through 18.  Except for the 2 holes that were built to accomodate the location of that great clubhouse, the course follows Travis's original 18 hole layout.  Wilson didn't change that, but the green sites he put in are no match for the old Travis greens.  From first 9 to back 9, it's like playing two different courses.  I find the Wilson 9 interesting only because of the ingenuous use of the meandering creek in Travis's original layout.

Pennhills has been a regular participant in the Travis Cup competition and finished just a point or so out of first this past August. 

I would guess that my link to this thread on the Dick Wilson one had something to do with this!!! ;D

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »
Ed,

The use of the creek is quite good on the Wilson 9.  I also enjoyed the uphill par 3 11th  and downhill 12th.  I believe the one par 4 that had the creek all along it and bisecting it is the 14th which I also thought was quite good.
Chris

Ed Homsey

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
You're absolutely right, Chris.  Thanks for providing that link on the Wilson thread.

That par 3 11th at Pennhills is a very good hole, and getting on the green is just part of the challenge.  The 12th causes some uncertainty for those who land their drives between 240 and 260.  Can I carry that creek, or not.  And, again, getting on the green is just a small part of the problem.  That green borders on the ridiculous, given its severe slope.  I know Pennhills members who would like to take dynamite to it.  The 14th offers some interesting choices, doesn't it?  A neat hole, and a green that has some subtle runoffs.  Those creeks come into play on a lot of holes throughout the course.  A beautiful place to play a round of golf in the Fall.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
You're absolutely right, Chris.  Thanks for providing that link on the Wilson thread.

That par 3 11th at Pennhills is a very good hole, and getting on the green is just part of the challenge.  The 12th causes some uncertainty for those who land their drives between 240 and 260.  Can I carry that creek, or not.  And, again, getting on the green is just a small part of the problem.  That green borders on the ridiculous, given its severe slope.  I know Pennhills members who would like to take dynamite to it.  The 14th offers some interesting choices, doesn't it?  A neat hole, and a green that has some subtle runoffs.  Those creeks come into play on a lot of holes throughout the course.  A beautiful place to play a round of golf in the Fall.

Ed,

Everything you described above were the exact reason why I enjoyed those Wilson holes.  I chose to carry the creek on the 12th and just got it.  I believe I laid up on the 14th - but wow what a use of the creek as a hazzard.  I do not remember when I played, but I do not remember it being peak foliage.  I know I was the first one out on the course and it felt like I had the entire place to myself.  Very serene, very peaceful.  The Travis greens are absolutely wild - several I spent some time just putting all over them.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back