News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Re: Best, Most Fun, and Favorite Courses
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:34 PM »
Best: Pac Dunes
Most Fun: MPCC Shore
Favorite: Teeth of the Dog

Chuck Brown

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
Most fun:  Arcadia Bluffs
Best:  Muirfield - East Lothian
Favorite:  St. Andrews - Old Course

Gene Greco

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
Hi Tom,

I didn't mean to target you or call you a liar, and I apologize for that.

I also didn't realize that you were the only one putting forth this sentiment.  Given that, I should have more carefully responded to your post. 

While you say that great and fun are synonymous, you yourself probably assign different connotations to each word. Also, you yourself have probably characterized courses (maybe not out loud) as being "fun" and "great" without using the words interchangeably.  This is what I meant when I said you were not entirely honest.

To respond to your post, you have not won the war on logic because we are not operating with the same definitions.  For you, perhaps all you want is fun golf, but there are other aims in GCA which I previously addressed such as "a good test of golf."

Assume that I accept that the only goal of GCA is fun and that this should be the only metric (not a bad metric IMO). Then there is still value is using differing synonyms to describe courses, just as we use "cute", "pretty", and "beautiful" to describe women.  These words may be hard to separate by "parsing", but they certainly mean different things in this context.

I believe what Tom H. means is:

Best:  Sand Hills played from the double diamond tees

Most Fun: Sand Hills played from the square tees

Favorite: Sand Hills from the diamond tees and the overall experience

....and who am I to argue?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:09:59 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »
Best - Muirfield

Most fun - North Berwick

Favourite - Royal Dornoch
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

David_Madison

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 07:14:21 AM »
Best - Oakmont

Favorite - Oakmont

Fun - Oakmont  I could never tire of hitting shots into those greens complexes and then putting on those amazing things.

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »
fun--Brora, Pennard, Portsalon, St. Enodoc, Tenby, NGLA, Sleepy Hollow, Palmetto, ,Perranporth, North Berwick, Goat Hill

favorite--see above

best--see above
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »
Hi Tom,

I didn't mean to target you or call you a liar, and I apologize for that.

I also didn't realize that you were the only one putting forth this sentiment.  Given that, I should have more carefully responded to your post. 

While you say that great and fun are synonymous, you yourself probably assign different connotations to each word. Also, you yourself have probably characterized courses (maybe not out loud) as being "fun" and "great" without using the words interchangeably.  This is what I meant when I said you were not entirely honest.

To respond to your post, you have not won the war on logic because we are not operating with the same definitions.  For you, perhaps all you want is fun golf, but there are other aims in GCA which I previously addressed such as "a good test of golf."

Assume that I accept that the only goal of GCA is fun and that this should be the only metric (not a bad metric IMO). Then there is still value is using differing synonyms to describe courses, just as we use "cute", "pretty", and "beautiful" to describe women.  These words may be hard to separate by "parsing", but they certainly mean different things in this context.

Very well said.  We need not duel.  Not that I had thought we would need to.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back