News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

What's the coolest thing you've seen this summer...
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
...on a golf course, architecturally?

Was it unique to that golf course?

Was it a repeating feature on that course?

Would you like to play more courses with whatever it was that you thought was cool?

Sorry for no starter ideas, I've been in the dirt all summer.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pete_Pittock

Re: What's the coolest thing you've seen this summer...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
Kidd's hairy grass mounds at Tetherow, and probably at Castle course.
They are just effective as bunkers, maybe even more penal, and are cheaper to build and maintain. The key is their small size. If they were bigger, and a ball hunt difficult, they wouldn't be cool.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »
TOC, followed closely by the greens at Shelter Harbor.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
Shivas,

I take it you liked RC?..... :)

Because I know you and your penchant for Lost Dunes.....how different are the greens at RC? In what ways?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
The 7th hole at Ballyneal....everything about it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »

I'll see it Sunday.....

CJ Carder

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
True Blue - a Strantz in Myrtle Beach

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:06:10 PM by CJ Carder »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »

I'll see it Sunday.....

A quick preview...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:23 PM »
The Tillinghast 9 at Shawnee and the surprisingly good Waring nine.  I tried to envision some of the backdrops as hillsides without condos.  I tried to imagine the greens cut short and running fast.

The Buck Hill Falls Ross course.  The White and Blue nines with their apparently-boring fairways leading to massive bunkers, with their incredibly complex fairways leading to even more complex putting surfaces.

Taconic as an adult.  As a teen, I had no idea what I was playing.  As an adult, seeing the angles of the bunkering, angles that transcend individual holes and run the entire width of the course grounds.  The green sites that scared the bejeesus out of me, thankfully not cut too short.

Playing a second Muirhead course (River Oaks near Buffalo and now Haystack in Vermont) and enjoying his creativity.  He wasn't always nut.  Sort of like Goya before he went blind and mad.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »
Thanksgiving Point, the entire course. It was so far away from what I am used to playing on and really fit into the land well. Kalen and I have all ready discussed the few things I didn't like about the course, but overall, it was excellent and visually striking.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 04:22:21 AM »
The 1st green at Strandhill. 

1. It plays downwind AND the wind can blow in this part of the world. 

2. The back of the green must be 3.5 feet lower than the front.

3. The slopes and internal contours give guys breaks of 10 feet or so.

4. The green runs slow enough to take advantage of the great design.

5. The sharpest point of the front to back green is the front 15 feet.

6. The crew has the balls to cut the hole in the front with 25mph wind.

7. I am not sure there is an archie out there today who would  dare build this green knowing the prevailing wind.

8. It perfectly demonstrates the folly of assigning par to the really good holes.  This is a par 5 that often will play like a short par 4!  Some players may hope to earn a 3, but in reality 4 is an excellent score and a 5 is good and many will walk off with a 6 wondering what the f&*&() just happened. 

To top it off there is bunkering on the high side to stymie the crafty players trying to use the hill to their advantage.  Its still possible, but oh so difficult with the wind howling.  This green is a great example of why adding distance isn't the best way to tame the long ball.  From this bunker with that wind if one hopes to get up and down he has to aim off the green right and hope things come together or be faced with the shot the chap you see has.  Not easy.  Note his setup, he has no intention of throwing the ball up, its gonna be a runner all the way.  If the player just hits a plopper out of the bunker it will run hard left probably 50 feet away.  If the player splashes hard at the hole and ends up high its a nasty sharp downhill left to righter putt in a harsh crosswind.  Its easy to end up 20 feet below the hole. 

To top it all off, this is the 2nd!

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:31:06 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »
Really cool to visit a new site and find 10 metres of pure sand, Lots of Scots Pine, Heather, Silver Birch !!!

Photo travelling to site.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:35:05 AM by jonny D »

John Foley

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:36:49 AM »
The 8th green @ Leathersocking. Not sure how much is Emmett & how much is Cupp, but it's the coolest green site I've seen in a while. Moguls, bunkers, swales, hidden pot's, sweeping green, rock wall behind all integrated into a great piece. I could chip at that great for hours and never get tired.

No pics till the next visit.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »
The Golf House Club at Elie in Fife!

16 par 4s ranging from 256 yards (blind, uphill) to 466 along the beach, a number blind over hill ridges with marker posts on top.  A periscope off a WWI submarine protruding above the starter's hut to be sure the way is clear for the next group to launch their tee shots over the steep hill on
the first hole.  A routing that meanders alongside the town, out to the beach and back to town.

One of the most fun courses I've ever played, can't wait to get back.  Many thanks to Rich Goodale and the Buda boys for picking Elie for this year's event.

Thanks to Ran's profile for these images.  Here's the clubhouse and starter's hut with periscope:

Here's a view from behind the terrific 13th green with the beach all down the left side.  Too bad, you can't see the deep fronting bunker and hillside behind the green that make this such an interesting second shot.

Dornoch wasn't bad either.  Elie is to North Berwick as Dornoch is to the Old Course, if that makes sense.  Quirky, short, can't wait to play another round.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
Learning a little about James Braid at the Buda Cup and then seeing his work at Lundin and Brora.

I had no idea how significant Braid was.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
Sean - I think I should just put "Thanks, Sean" in my tag-line so that I don't have to keep typing it out every time you post pictures of these courses you play. Thanks, Sean.

Joe - this won't be so very cool by the standards around here, but I played a course recently (a new course, about 10 years old) that had a centre-line bunker on a hole, and one that was really in play. To be honest, it disturbed me. It annoyed me. There didn't seem to be much room anywhere. (I tried to go left, started it too far left, and it stayed there, into the junk). I grumbled a bit. But the cool thing was that not two days had passed before I was trying to get out to that course again and play that hole again.

Peter   

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
I admit to being parochial here...  But I'd vote for the resurrection of French Creek golf course.  Our new superintendent Bruce Cadenelli, has transformed the course into something for which we're all proud.  He's reestablished a relationship with Gil and Jim Wagner, and has the course reaching its potential for the first time.

We're all giddy.

We've actually paused our green committee meetings and just e-mail each other -- what good would the meeting be?  We'd just spend 10 minutes giving Bruce Cadenelli a nice ovation and grab a drink :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
California golf was the coolest thing I saw this summer. Sorry to be so specific.

I got to play Bill McBride's favorite 9 holes of golf... with Bill!

Just one of numerous highlights on my first ever trip to California.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
The maturing of Ballyneal - played it two summers ago when it had just opened and the architecture was incredible but the conditioning was just not there yet - it has now gotten overall so good it is incredible - the green speeds are where they belong and boy do you have to think your way around the course. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 10:07:36 AM »
The Grand Canyon.

Oh shoot, missed that "on a golf course, architecturally" part.  Darn it.  I have nothing to offer there.

But on second thought... has anyone here played King City Municipal Golf Course?

It's in the middle of our great state, it's a 2900 yard par 35 9-holer, one can see parts of it from 101 as one slows down through the speed trap that is King City.  There's little reason to stop and play that course.

BUT... the 3rd and 9th holes there are as cool as anything yet mentioned in this thread.  And I do mean anything.

#3 is a 400 yard par 4 that twists between trees and heavy kikuyu rough on the left and a wash/hazard on the right, with a berm crossing 75 yards short of the green at an angle... I swear if you close your eyes to the other holes, it looks like freakin' Prairie Dunes to me.  I do not have a picture but I swear that is what it reminded me of.  At the end is a smallish, beastily-sloped green... I just stood there in awe at this GREAT hole out in the middle of nowhere on this little 9 hole muni.

Then we have #9, 238 dead into the prevaling wind, with 200 yards of carry over a hazard on the right, with a little fairway to the left... what does that description also fit?  Yup, this was King City's version of 16 Cypress.  And in terms of the shot required, it was almost as tough.  Talk about a hard-earned 3... or 4.... just very very cool.

TH

ps - curious - what is McBride's favorite 9?  PG Muni back?

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
Hand's down, The Kingsley Club.  The first hole is incredible, and the nearly entire back nine is as fun as golf gets for me. The first time I played 17, I didn't realize what awaited a well struck drive. Coolest course I've ever played in Michigan.

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:49 AM »
It was the back nine at Pasa. At least it was as we were teeing off on #10. I think it may have actually been "most fun 9" instead of "best 9."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
It was the back nine at Pasa. At least it was as we were teeing off on #10. I think it may have actually been "most fun 9" instead of "best 9."

Aha!  Yeah, that's right.  Silly me, forget the obvious answer. 

Curious if people make a distinction between best and most fun... I sure don't... but that's a matter for another thread, for sure.

TH

Doug Wright

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »
About a dozen shots on Ballyneal where the contouring led to amazing results (sometimes but not always good...).
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jim Tang

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
I will second the Kingsley Club.  Played it Tuesday of this week.  What a tremendous layout!  Sand based turf, rolling hills, tremendous greens.  The course plays firm and fast and not a home on the course.  Just a perfect golfing experience from start to finish.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back