News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

PGA Tour Design Contest
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »
PGA TOUR announces contest to design
Golf hole at TPC San Antonio

Winner will have design implemented on Pete Dye-crafted AT&T Canyons Course

San Antonio, TX- Beginning with its flagship TPC Sawgrass, the PGA TOUR’s TPC Network of clubs introduced everyday golfers with the opportunity to “Play Where the PGA TOUR Players Play.” And now, thanks to a one-of-a-kind contest announced by the TOUR, one talented amateur golf course architect will have the opportunity to “Design Where the PGA TOUR Players Play” by designing a hole at TPC San Antonio, which is scheduled to open in the spring of 2010.

The TOUR is inviting aspiring golf course designers to submit an original, hand-sketched design of the 13th hole on the AT&T Canyons Course at TPC San Antonio, which is being designed by renowned architect Pete Dye. Entries will be judged by Dye and Steve Wenzloff, Vice President of PGA TOUR Design Services, Inc. One winner will be selected from all entries received to have his or her design integrated into the project, and will also receive a trip to TPC San Antonio to tour the course with Dye prior to the club’s grand opening.

“I'm excited about the opportunity to showcase the TPC San Antonio project through this unique contest,” said Dye, who will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, FL in November. “It will be interesting to see the creations and select a winner to spend a day with me on the project site. I always enjoy sharing my thoughts and suggestions with others on golf course design."

To enter, contestants should visit pgatour.com/tpcdesign and download an entry form. The entry form includes a map of the 13th hole, along with contest rules, judging criteria and mailing instructions. Entries will be accepted by mail and must be postmarked by September 12, 2008 in order to be eligible to win. Entries should clearly illustrate yardages, tee box, fairway, green and other elements, with a clear scale and topography of the hole. The various elevation levels and angles of the hole should be noted, along with a description of landscaping and other design/environmental factors.

Construction crews have broken ground on TPC San Antonio’s AT&T Canyons Course as well as the adjacent AT&T Oaks Course, which is being designed by World Golf Hall of Fame member Greg Norman. A rough design of the 13th hole on the AT&T Canyons Course already has been completed, but there is plenty of room for creativity by contestants. The hole is a 226-yard par-3 with a slight downhill slope.

“With the goal of crafting a course that fits harmoniously with its surroundings, we took full advantage of the dramatic vistas, indigenous flora and beautiful rolling terrain to create a memorable golf experience for members and resort guests,” Dye said.

When complete, TPC San Antonio will offer an exceptional private and resort golf club experience, featuring two premier golf courses designed by two of the world’s most innovative golf course architects, along with an array of accompanying amenities. Champions Tour member Bruce Lietzke collaborated with Dye on the design of the AT&T Canyons Course, a par-72, 7,545-yard layout featuring wide fairways, stands of oak and cedar trees and sweeping panoramic vistas. Numerous environmental elements distinct to the Texas Hill Country were incorporated into the course design, in an effort to minimize its impact on the environment.

PGA TOUR member Sergio Garcia lent his perspective in assisting Norman on the design of the par-72, 7,522-yard AT&T Oaks Course. Like Dye, Norman’s design philosophy is characterized by environmental sensitivity and a deep reverence for nature. Great care was taken to incorporate the distinct nuances and indigenous flora of the natural Hill Country topography into the course design, to create a compelling, strategically diverse layout for golfers of all skill levels.

“The topographic subtleties of the rolling Texas Hill Country terrain, framed by magnificent stands of mature live oaks, create a pristine natural setting that is as playable as it is beautiful,” Norman said.

TPC San Antonio will be accessible to private club members and guests of the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa. For membership information, please visit www.tpc.com/sanantonio. For contest guidelines, printable contest materials and entry forms, please visit pgatour.com/tpcdesign.

About the PGA TOUR
The PGA TOUR is a tax-exempt membership organization of professional golfers. Its primary purpose is to provide competitive earnings opportunities for past, current and future members of the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Nationwide Tour; to protect the integrity of the game; and to help grow the reach of the game in the U.S. and around the world.

In 2008, the three Tours are competing in approximately 108 events for approximately $355 million in prize money. Tournaments are being held in nine countries outside the U.S. and in 37 states. In addition to providing competitive opportunities for its membership, TOUR events also generate significant funds for local charities. In fact, the three Tours have surpassed the $1 billion mark in overall charitable contributions. The PGA TOUR’s web site address is www.pgatour.com and the company is headquartered in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.

About The TPC Network
Licensed by the PGA TOUR, the TPC Network is comprised of 28 premier private and resort golf properties designed by some of golf’s most elite architects, 17 of which are operated by the PGA TOUR. Each TPC has hosted or has been designed to host TOUR-sponsored golf tournaments.

Since the TPC Sawgrass first opened its world renowned PLAYERS Stadium Course in the fall of 1980, TPCs have provided the PGA TOUR with rent-free venues for tournaments, helping to boost championship golf purses and increasing charitable donations to grass roots non-profit organizations. At the same time, TPCs have provided recreational golfers with the unique opportunity to test their skills on the same layouts where the world’s best golfers compete.

Distinctive in character but consistent in quality, TPCs are known for their outstanding conditioning and amenities, as well as a commitment to environmental excellence. To date, 15 TPCs operated by the PGA TOUR are certified as Audubon International Cooperative Sanctuary Systems. The TPC Network is also distinguished by its unwavering commitment to further the PGA TOUR’s giving back mission through support of charitable and community-based programs. For more information, please visit www.tpc.com.

Matt_Cohn

Re: PGA Tour Design Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »
This link does not work: http://pgatour.com/tpcdesign
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 02:39:02 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
Tony, sorry about the threadjack...I posted that stuff where it belongs.

Kalen
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:17:00 PM by Kalen Braley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
Kalen,

Did I miss this announcement before? Is that our Doug Wright that won?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
There was a thread on this floating around back in January I think...

And perhaps that is GCA.com's Doug Wright.

Be sure to check out the "creative entries" on that same page.  It includes two "guitar" themed holes....  ::)  ::)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
Here's the winner, submitted by my man Brett. No one else need apply

The design embraces the Classic Architecture style of not just Robert Trent Jones, but also Rees Jones, completely ignoring the other design style of the existing holes. While it is only  par-3, the rough will be delineated from the fairway by thick, long bluegrass rough in sharp contrast to the bentrgrass-poa. The dark green portion indicates tall, neatly aligned hardwoods that beautifully frame the hole.

As one astute golf architecture writer noted, "Submission has added advantage of being perfectly adaptable for all par-3s, par-4s and par-5s, plus those pesky short par-5s that need to be converted overnight to par-4s through installation of platform tees for  championships when a tough finishing hole is needed.

"Note: USGA-version for short, drivable par-4 kit also available."

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »

Matt,

That link works today.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
The link may work today, but once you get there and try the next link to get the pdf file, at least on firefox/linux it says file does not begin with %PDF.

I sent them a note yesterday about that and they got back to me today saying they were working on it.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
I was able to download and print the entry form, and have been tinkering with my idea today.

Entries close on 9/12.  What say we scan and post our efforts on the 13th?

Cheers.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
Didn't work on windows/firefox either. I had to use MS Explorer to get it.
 >:(

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
Didn't work on windows/firefox either. I had to use MS Explorer to get it.
 >:(

I can't get the .pdf to open on my Mac.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
I run XP pro with both IE 6 and Firefox 2.0 and haven't had any problems bringing up the pdf file on either one of them.

It is a somewhat largee file  (6MB) so if you have a slow connection, you could be having timeout issues with your browser in getting the file from the server.

I can email the pdf to anyone who wants it if you are still having difficulty.

Kalen

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:40:41 AM »
Bump, as the contest date of postmarking is now upon us.

I'm submitting a design.  Has anyone else given it a go?

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:47:45 AM »
Not me.

Too busy.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 01:07:35 AM »
That aerial looks like a complete bore....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 01:14:55 AM »
i'm just starting on mine now.

that aerial doesn't look like dye at all, does it? wtf?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »
i am *really* confused by this topo map. is it downhill from the tee; left to right in the fairway; and then the green is a bit of a crown?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
I interpreted the topo as downhill, which dampened my enthusiasm, because I figured the best artist would win a drop shot par 3 design contest.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »
In my proposal, I assumed that the contours at the pond were the lowest.  Water drains down hill, I think. 

The contest could have had better and more directions.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
Here's my lame ass effort.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »
Matt,

What's the circle directly behind the green?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »
That is a little Pete Dye bunker.
It looks just like Pete's work in planform.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
... Water drains down hill, I think.  ...

Are you sure about that? ;D I guess that just shows how little I looked at it after downloading it.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
That is a little Pete Dye bunker.
It looks just like Pete's work in planform.
Cheers

Yup! I'm not sure if that's a compliment, but I figured Fazio bunkers might not get the job done.   :P

I'd love to hear some comments? I figured 95% of the contest would have a left-to-right angled green with bunkers cut in the slope short-right of the green. I just wanted to try something different. Thoughts?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back