News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

A Fundamental and overlooked question
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
As a "newbie' to these boards, I was wondering if the majority of the discussions contained here are from a players point of view or a course designers POV?

Bart Bradley

Re: A Fundamental and overlooked question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
Kyle:

Fortunately, the answer is that both sides are usually addressed.  That is what makes the discussion here so rich and educational for both sides.

Bart

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
For the architects on here-

What would you create that didn't involve consideration of playing the game?  Obviously, there is a laundry list of items (environmental issues, topography, housing, $$$, etc., etc., etc...) that creatively handcuff any given project, but at the end of the day, isn't it all about the playability?

I relate this question to my work- Does the playability of the golf course reflect the Superintendent's/my point of view or a players point of view.  There shouldn't be a difference.

To me, it's all about the players perspective.

Scott

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »
For the architects on here-

What would you create that didn't involve consideration of playing the game?  Obviously, there is a laundry list of items (environmental issues, topography, housing, $$$, etc., etc., etc...) that creatively handcuff any given project, but at the end of the day, isn't it all about the playability?

I relate this question to my work- Does the playability of the golf course reflect the Superintendent's/my point of view or a players point of view.  There shouldn't be a difference.

To me, it's all about the players perspective.

Scott

Scott-I can buy that last line to a certain point. But many times questions are asked on here why a certain feature was included or left out, etc. That answer is certainly from an architects perspective.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:13:09 PM »
Scott,

To me, the issue always boils down to "which" player?

Even in daily maintenance, setting tees and hole locations begs this question. We are instructed to align the tee markers to the middle of the fairway. Certain features prohibit this at our course, so the question becomes - for whom are we aligning the tee markers?

I think there are almost too many variables in play for an architect (or a discussion board) to view things from a players' perspective.

Ian Larson

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
Playabilty should be something communicated by both the superintendent and the club.

A baseline needs to be established. A standard that the club establishes versus what the club can afford and what the superintendent is capable of doing with his resources.

The superintendent needs to meet the members expectations while staying within the budget alloted to him.

....so both points of view need to be utilized equally. if one is out of equillibrium someone is not going to be happy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back