News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ari Techner

Best Charles Banks course?
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:29:18 AM »
If you had to pick one Charles Banks course to play to represent his work what would it be?  Main criteria being quality and originality of design. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:38:12 AM by Ari Techner »

Mike Sweeney

Re: Best Charles Banks course?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:12:22 AM »
Forsgate NJ gets lots of love from Matt and it is deserved. The par 3s there are outstanding.

Tamarack CT would be an awfully close second. The redo by Silva seems very Banksy and the pictures here of the trees were not reflective of what is actually out there. Yes they can lose some trees but those that were there are cosmetic and not playing issues for the most part. Extremely fun course to play.

Whipporrwill NY may be the most interesting course. A little Westchester parkland, some rolling farm land, and some holes cut through ravens, rock croppings and streams that are very cool. However some of the Banksiness was not there last play a few years ago.

I believe that Essex County is with Raynor and I have never seen Hackensack.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »
Gene Sarezen had the Knoll in his top 10 courses in the country.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:31:22 AM »
Tom,

Dave Marr did as well.   

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
The Knoll is definitely a question of what is there today versus what could be there. I can't imagine that the economy is helping George Bahto's work and his lack of budget over there. That said I really like the course. However a better walking policy would help too. When they make you take a cart on a 45 degree day when there are literally 8-10 people on the course and you offer to pay for the cart you just don't want to use the cart........

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
The Knoll / West is still a work in operation.

George Bahto has been pushing for more and more improvements but the folks in charge have draaaaaaaged their feet for too long. There's plenty of potential there but if and when it does happen the course can't be seen as being anywhere close to the equal of what The Banks Course at Forsgate is today.

Mike S:

I believe Banks did a good bit of the remaining work at Essex County when Raynor passed away. There's also a bit of Tillie still present as well.

Gents:

One other thing -- the #4 nine at Montclair GC (West Orange, NJ) is a Banks original and is very good. The bowl-shaped 1st hole is an excellent starting hole as the dog-leg left plunges down the hill. Ditto the long par-4 2nd and the fairly good redan-like par-3 3rd.

Still ...

Forsgate / Banks Course is supreme for being so true to what Banks really wanted to provide. There are nary trees that intrude (see Tamarack and others that still need efforts in that area) and the depth of the bunkers has been brought back to full life.

Mike S is quite right -- the collective par-3's at Forsgate are only surpassed by the quartet of holes you see at PV in my mind. The Biaritz par-3 17th has also been restored and is well done.

Anyone who has never played or been to Forsgate recently can get a serious education on the talent Banks had and how a facility can be brought back to the forefront with ownership that has vision and the capacity spend $$ where needed. In my mind, Forsgate is not only Banks best course but it's easily among my top 10 in NJ and that says plenty given the competitive landscape of courses the Garden State brings to the table.

Gerry B

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »
have played forsgate - total gem -as previously mentioned great set of par 3's and the two back to back par 5's that end the front nine are really great as well. the course has some terrific green complexes -in particular the short also known as the horseshoe

have not played the knoll or essex but would like to at some point

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:13:05 AM »
Forsgate is my answer. Banks's best Redan is at Hackensack. And his road hole, #18 at Hackensack, a great hole now, will be fully restored  very shortly, and it will be one of the best golf holes in New Jersey. But too much "Banks" has been lost over the years.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
Ari:

If people make a listing of the ten best courses in NJ and Forsgate / Banks is NOT on that list then their golf homework for the Garden State is incomplete.

One additional thing I failed to mention is that RDC Group -- under the leadership of CEO Chris Schiavone -- the name may be familiar to some as he was one of the key speakers during a winter conference held at Essex County CC in 2005, has seen fit to push Forsgate back to where it was years ago.

The back-to-back par-5's, that someone previously mentioned at the 8th and 9th, are really well done holes. In many ways, superior to the back-to-back par-5 holes you get at Baltusrol Lower.

The collective par-3's have already been mentioned. They are extremely well done.

Keep in mind, that Tom Doak gave Forsgate a 7 in "Confidential Guide' and that was prior to what has been done since that book came out a number of years ago.

Those who don't go there are missing something of immense value. How the course is not rated even higher astounds me but I see much of that tied to its no-man position of being nearly halfway between NYC and Phila.

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
Matt and Mike Sweeney:

My work at the Knoll was completed last fall. Greenside bunkers had been done and the last part of the restoration was the fairway bunkering - again, now complete, so any reference to “but the folks in charge have draaaaaaaged their feet for too long” Matt, is not true.

Even the cart paths, totally destroyed over the past two years, have been completely done over.

The course condition is very good although, if I had more power, they would be a little bit better.

I’ve changed the mowing patterns and most of the collars have been expanded in the on-going green expansion issues. Many of the greens have been expanded to where they should be already.

A couple years ago “they” (a-hmm) lost a couple greens and some fairway areas so the super is very leery about cutting the greens down to where I would like them to be (sounds pretty familiar?). Considering the undulations on the greens at The Knoll, and after playing there for the past 35-years, if you have the greens anything over 10.5 they are near impossible to play on. It’s not a case of losing too many pin placements - that not a problem for the greens average about 8,000 ft, it’s the dramatic undulations as well as the mounds in some of the greens.

So, he will occasionally roll them after cutting them down to “his” safe speed and they are really fun to putt on. Even now they are fine - it’s just me ..... I just like fast greens with bold undulations.

I’ve been fighting this green speed issue for a long time.

I’d love to have Essex County’s course with the Knoll’s greens.

BTW: Essex County (East- private) was Banks built to the Raynor Banks plans (less a ton of fairway bunkers never installed) while the West course (now Francis Byrne) was totally designed and built by Banks (now a shadow of original course).

An interesting story about the berms on the Knoll’s fairway bunkers:

For years it “bothered” me that the fairway bunker berms had such a low profile - never that usual dramatic look I’ve seen on other Raynor/Banks courses.

There were stones partially sticking out of the top of many of the fairway bunker berms when I started the last phase of the restoration. Stripping off the berm’s vegetation disclosed that Banks (or the construction crews) had built the basic shape of the berms with rocks and debris from construction. Apparently they just added topsoil on top of the stones and planted the grass.

Over the years the soil filtered down through the stones, lowering the overall profile of the fairway bunker berms - which is why they seems so low-profile to me.

Soooooooooooooooooo (Matt Ward-ian) I raised most of the berms dramatically to where they would “normally” have been - or better, where they usually are on other Banks courses.

So now you have some pretty good drama on fairway bunkers and added to that the depth I had already taken the greenside bunkers to (their original depth), the course plays as it should.

The only thing I have left to do is to get the course up to 7,000 yds, adding a number of new tees. I’m not sure why I’m even bothering because everyone, include the better players, usually end up playing the “plates” anyhow (pussies!).

In all fairness if you play the Knoll from the present “tips” - 6,752 yds - you really have your hands full. Even the “plates” are tough at just under 6,500 yds.

My new tee plans lengthening #2 - #5 - #8 - #9 - #11 - #14 - #15 by about 50 yards - #16 and #18 shifting it back and to the right, making it about 465 - 470.

Mike, right now they are letting carts all over the course so you might have hit a “bad” day.

I think Whippoorwill might have been the most interesting of Banks courses but you have to understand, the greens were lost during the depression (maybe more than once) and certainly do not have the dramatic undulations they probably once had.

Matt - GET UP THERE AND TAKE A NEW LOOK AT THE COURSE AND STOP TELLING ME WHAT ONE DAY THE KNOLL MIGHT BE - IT"S DONE!
Call me and I tour you.

:P
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »
George:

Appreciate the invite -- how bout in early September as I will be traveling the bulk of this month and early next.

I'm happy to hear about what has happened -- however ... I still have the Missouri approach (show me) / re: The Knoll / West because I have heard all the talk for sooooooooo (had to include that !) long.

George, I am a big time fan of the place as you know -- no other publication rated the course as I did with Jersey Golfer a number of years ago on the premise that additional work was going to be done. Then the wait took place. And the wait continued. That song played for a verrrrrrry long time. Glad to hear that things have been done -- or should I say -- as much as time and $$ have allowed.

George, the new tee boxes are certainly needed in a few clear instances. The 18th is just one example -- the 16th could also use it too. Those who are marginal players will be blown away by the details of the course but the better and stronger players will need to have some added teeth included. Adding length at the holes you mentioned works well in bringing back the type of club choice, angle and height necessary to get to certain pin locations.

Be curious to know if the greens are really cut so that you can get a proper roll without having to make shoulder turns on six footers because in my last few times there the greens were especially soft and slow.

George, you are spot on regarding green speeds -- I am not advocating Oakmont like conditions but the tendency to play it ULTRA SAFE is NOT needed. The greatness of Banks and what he provided for at the Knoll demand that green speeds have some fire in them. The overall size of the greens as you mentioned is more than able to handle such a situation if / when provided.

The Knoll / West is clearly a unique story and I'm happy to see you have been able to convince the minds there on just what its true potential can be.

I'm looking forward to the tour and playing it ... I'll contact you with a specific time frame.

One last thing - I still vote for Forsgate / Banks as the best of his layouts. George, if you have not been there this year you need to see what RDC has been able to do.

George_Bahto

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
Matt - I'll be away til after Labor Day and we'll do it in Sept

BTW: at Essex County (it'll be even better) I'll be starting the "next" Master Plan, the continuation of what's already been done. addressing the Practice facilities and areas, a tee program and some of the bunkers nevwe originally installed.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
As George mentioned, we will be starting the next phase of the master plan at Essex County this fall.  Some of the bunkers that were in the original plan will be built as well as some new tees.  I think the most dramatic difference will be felt as we clear away more trees.  I think the results will be spectacular.  I'll try to take some before and after pictures this fall.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Greg,

What you and Uncle George failed to mention is how much width Essex County now enjoys.

It's a far better golf course today than it was a few short years ago.

The more trees removed the better.

That will allow for the winds that sweep that ridge to affect play more.

Good Luck.

George_Bahto

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
Pat, have you been there lately? - the present tree removal is already pretty spectacular
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:58 AM »
George Bahto,

I played there about six to eight weeks ago with three other friends.

My first thought after the round was: wow, this place has really improved.

Everyone talks about the back nine, but, the front nine is terrific.

Although, into the Westerly wind I thought # 9 might have been extended too far back.  But, overall, the front nine is great.

Golfers get lulled by # 1 and # 2, but, after that, it's a real challenge.

And, sitting high on that ridge is an asset as the wind is a big factor.

I think the work is terrific.

I also mentioned that I thought the green on # 13 should be mowed back into the corners on either side of the spine/ladies walk.  That would create some great hole locations and place an emphasis on accuracy for the short second shot.

I think it's a great golf course, challenging yet fun to play.

Lester George

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »
If you guys played Cavalier, you would definitely rank it among his best.  90 acres with some of the best greens he ever built, and he used the steam shovel.

Maybe we should set up an outing, anyone interested?

Lester

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Lester:

I'd be.

Just have to ask -- have you ever personally toured / played the courses we have mentioned in this thread?

If you think Cavalier is at or above the same level we have mentioned that says something.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »
I would be up for any of those Banks' rounds! And Hackensack can be in the rotation!

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:16:40 AM »
I mentioned to a fellow at the club today, the starter, that the only private club in the Southeastern VA area that I have any wish to play is the Cavalier in VA Beach. When he asked why, I explained to him the architectural history of the club, a slight bit anyway, and the look on his face said it all. Quite a way's above him. It was as if Joe Bausch was attempting to explain some upper level chemistry to me and my non-scientific brain. And this guy was a regional manager of some kind for the VA State Golf Assn. You'd think someone like that would have at least a slight knowledge of design history. Oh well.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »
I'll post later on Knoll West v. Forsgate but one thing that stood out at both courses was the atypical lack of internal contours at the 9th and 18th holes at both courses.  Coincidence, or a method to the apparent lack of madness at the finishers?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 10:45:17 AM »
Michael:

Look forward to your comments. The 9th and 18th holes at both courses are very special holes -- unfortunately few people have played them both on this site.

The other Banks course to mention is Whipporrwill.

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
Forsgate NJ gets lots of love from Matt and it is deserved. The par 3s there are outstanding.

Tamarack CT would be an awfully close second. The redo by Silva seems very Banksy and the pictures here of the trees were not reflective of what is actually out there. Yes they can lose some trees but those that were there are cosmetic and not playing issues for the most part. Extremely fun course to play.

Whipporrwill NY may be the most interesting course. A little Westchester parkland, some rolling farm land, and some holes cut through ravens, rock croppings and streams that are very cool. However some of the Banksiness was not there last play a few years ago.

I believe that Essex County is with Raynor and I have never seen Hackensack.

Mike,

If Forsgate is better than Tamarack, I better get my butt over to Forsgate soon!  FYI-Tamarack has done some additional tree clearing in the last few years which has opened up some very nice vistas...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »
Jud:

There have been some turf issues recently at Forsgate.

One other thing -- the four par-3 holes there are without peer -- only PV and Plainfield have a better quartet than Forsgate.

Wonderful rolling land and the back-to-back par-5 closing on the front is solid -- ditto with the underrated par-4 10th with its plunging and rolling fairway contours and elevated green.

Maybe we can play there together ?

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »
I think we have the makings of a Banks tour next summer...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back