News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Who's played North dakota and what did you think?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Garland, I have to agree with Matt on this...it's an easy walk...there are no hidden hazards...there's no blind shot on a par 3 (the 4th)...the first isn't blind, it's semi-blind...

but hey, if it's not your cup of tee, that's Kool and the Gang...

And I shall agree with Ran, who worte, "Spann appreciates that some will crucify him for having a forced carry to a blind fairway as the opening shot of the day".

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jay Flemma

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »
Once you play the hole, it isn't blind any more.  And you know what?  It's not a long or difficult shot either.  Ran wrote that to economize words.  I could be wrong, but I dont think he thinks its too hard or unfair.

Look garland, I like and respect you a lot, but I think you are too hard on black mesa and that you have a blind spot that makes you a little unfairly overcritical of the course.  I understand it not being your cup of tee, but I just cant understand all the railing.  You miss a lot of your analysis. BM is not a hard walk at all.  There are far fewer blind shots than you say.  I'm simply suggesting you give it a second chance, that's all.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »
Jay,

I did the "Triple Challenge" in July and really enjoyed it--ignore the naysayers and go, you'll have a great time. 

In particular, ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism re:  Links of N. Dakota.  It's an excellent course, well worth the effort to get there. 

You can see my pics and others here: 
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12815.0.html

Eric, I did go, and I did have a great time!  I'll go again, when I get the chance.  Colorado and Michigan are calling my name first.

And then their calling out "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiilsooooooooooooon. Boo-doop!  boo-doop!"

Jim Johnson

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
I've been I.M.'ed/asked to post some more pics of Bully Pulpit ... sorry for the threadjack...

View of 1st hole, par 4, 466 yards:

Hole #4, par 5, 571 yards around the bend in the Little Missouri River:

Hole #6, par 5, 540 yards:

Heading back to the clubhouse on #9, par 4, 463 yards:

View of #11, par 5, 517 yards:

Hole #14, par 4, 404 yards:

View from the back tee on #14:

Par 3 hole #15, 161 yards:

From the tees of #15, looking across the valley to the tees of #16, the fairway heading way down to the left:

View from back tee of hole #16, par 4, 451 yards:

Middle tees on hole #16:

From behind the 16th green (the 15th green is above the woman in white shirt):

Hole #17, par 5, 503 yards:

View from the tee on #18, par 4, 406 yards:

Fairway view on #18 (there are 2 golfers standing on the green on shelf above fairway):

Table in clubhouse lounge:

Summation:
As many have stated, the course comes alive on the 14th hole, hidden in the back recesses of the badlands. The course, until that point, is very walkable, and quite flat. However, one really needs a cart for the 3 holes in the corner of the badlands, as there are some monstrous walks between holes.

Playing at 7,166 yards from the tips, the course has a rating of 75.4 from the tips and a slope of 138. Five sets of tees offer alternative yardages of 6655/6000/5348/4750. The course offers a drivable par-4 on hole #13 of 318 yards (tips), or 291/261 yards for mere mortals, and several holes feature central bunkers, namely holes 6 and 17.

JJ

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
JJohnson:

Many thanks for the pictures.

They will confirm the first 2/3's of Bully Pulpit is as flat as jus about any Florida course one can play -- you can see clearly from a number of the photos who CLOSE the better land is to the course but only the last few got thrown into the mix.

When you travel to the Badlands one can make reasonable assumptions that the golf couse will truly be incorporating such land into themix beyond just a visible presence off in the distance. Until the fiinal third of the course I was just wondering what all the fuss was from the preview article I had read by Ron Whitten prior to going to Medora.

Candidly, I really was snoozing for so many of the early holes UNTIL one gets to the final third of the course.

But ...

At the uphill 14th things do change and although the 15th gets plenty ink the downhill 16th and the dog-leg par-5 17th are two solid holes. The closer is above average but a clear notch below the last few holes that precede it.

Eric T:

You say Links of ND is an "excellent course." OK -- fair enough. But compared to what? Do you have other public courses you have played that charge roughly the same and are in the northen plains area? I would certainly recommend Red Rock in Rapid City, SD. Far superior to Links of ND -- less remote and at even LOWER PRICES.

LND is $60 to play 18 holes -- Red Rock is $49 -- carts are not calculated into the mix.

One other thing -- LND really gets going at the par-5 7th -- solid hole that goes slightly uphill. The par-3 8th is also a winner and often gets lost in the discussion on the short holes at LND. The back nine is what makes the course get noticed especially with the likes of the 14th, 15th (two solid par-4's, the neat redan-like downhill par-3 17th and the fine closing par-5.  Overall, would I take the time to get back to Ray, ND and play the place. No. Is the course worthy of it being rated so highly? I'd say no here too. Unfortunately, being remote has become the calling card for LND and while it deserves credit for having a number of fine holes there are better public choices in the norther plains that get far less attention. Red Rock is among them.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
great photos JJ

Yes, Matt, undoubtedly, Black mesa is the fasr better piece of property and the far beter course, but BP is fun when played in that little trail of course.  And wonderfully cheap.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back