GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

golf course conditioning/maintanence costs

(1/3) > >>

mikeyolympic:
i just saw a recent course gone to sh*ts in terms of conditioning. perfect bentgrass greens in california that were well kept until now... now i all i see are those damn poa annua heads all over the place....quite sad...

this got me thinking? how much does it cost a golf course or club to maintain a high quality of greens and fairways? how expensive is it really to keep the sand consistent, the fairways mowing stripes to be checkered? how much does it cost clubs such as augusta, pine valley, muirfield village, riviera to maintain such beautiful conditioning? any numerical figures?

Bruce Katona:
The rule of thumb in the business is to insure your payroll expenses are less than 50 % of your total course maintenance budget. Being in the business and having the opportunity to share information with our peers, high end private clubs and the CCFAD courses who charge in excess of $100/round maintenance budgets exceed $1.0 million annually.

Maintenance budgets consist of three major componants:
1. Payroll and employee benefits
2. Course Maintenance Costs - Chemicals & Fertilizers, Sand, Sod & Seed, Maint. Equipment Repairs, etc. - $300,000-$350,000 annually
3. Maintenance Equipment Leases - at the typical higher end course this will run about $150,000 annually.

Hope this helps.

Jeff_Brauer:
Mike,

You could spend a milliion, and still have problems with poa annua in the greens and fairways, especially in a place like CA where many types of grasses grow so well.  Poa is a problem just about everywhere....

Mike Benham:

--- Quote ---The rule of thumb in the business is to insure your payroll expenses are less than 50 % of your total course maintenance budget. Being in the business and having the opportunity to share information with our peers, high end private clubs and the CCFAD courses who charge in excess of $100/round maintenance budgets exceed $1.0 million annually.

Maintenance budgets consist of three major componants:
1. Payroll and employee benefits
2. Course Maintenance Costs - Chemicals & Fertilizers, Sand, Sod & Seed, Maint. Equipment Repairs, etc. - $300,000-$350,000 annually
3. Maintenance Equipment Leases - at the typical higher end course this will run about $150,000 annually.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget water ... depending on the course and the water district it can get very pricey.

At a certain university owned course here in NorCal, water is "free" for the Supes budget but it is more than offset by having an entire unionized staff ...

RC:
I would be curious to know what the clubs/courses of GCA'ers spend per hole on an annual basis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version