News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

OHCC: !monster get brass knuckles 2) no tiger no problem
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=984

It’s one thing to do that at Royal Milwaukee for the John Deere Classic, it’s another thing altogether to do it to Oakland Hills at a major championship. It’s bad enough the players have to face the monster. It’s bad enough they turned the Pinehurst of the Midwest into a noose. Now they have to face a Monster with brass knuckles in one hand and a roll of quarters in the other.

also

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=985

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:35:43 PM by Jay Flemma »

Mike Mosely

Re: OHCC: Popping the rough gives monster brass knuckles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Hey Jay, how bout something longer next time ;)  I only needed two starbucks to finish it.

Seriously though, Royal Milwaukee ;D

Jason McNamara

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:22:13 PM »
Jay -

I enjoy reading your stuff, but in this case I have to say your metaphor and simile quotient was so high that it was like (...).

Jason

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for reading.  Yeah, Mose, I'm sorry I wrote such a long piece, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Jase, I know I threw a lot in there...OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO SERGIO?!?...

anyway, I know I threw a lot in there, but in the heat of battle when you;re working under deadline, you just have to trust your instincts and go.

There's a few pieces of mine at Cybergolf that are more "tournament recap" and less "feature" that don't need a starbucks to get through.  Thanks guys!

Can you believe this tournament?  No Tiger, no problem!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:42:12 PM by Jay Flemma »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
Jay,

Are you borrowing from Abraham Lincoln again?

It was a gas to catch up with you on the golf course today. Thanks for showing me around the Media tent. Very cool.

Do you think Tiger would have fallen apart on the last three holes like the leaders did today?

Jay Flemma

Re: OHCC: 1) monster brass knuckles 2) No tiger, no problem
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »
I don't think I ever borrowed from Lincoln!

I did crib a line from Twain, but that's it.

Greayt catching up with you too, Bradley.  Say hi to Kim for me.  I have no idea what Tiger would have done.  I think with a hurt leg, OHCC is a much tougher walk than TP.  I also think the greens might have frustrated him, like Oakmont did, but you never know...

new piece up!  see top.

from the piece:

“These guys are all great,” echoed Shane Langston of Jackson, Mississippi. “When Tiger’s out of the equation, we get to see the other guys. Look at big hitter J.B. Holmes or that wonderfully goofy Boo Weekley, or some of these other young guys that have terrific game and good attitudes. Ben Curtis coming back is a great story.”

He brings up another great point. People root for players for many different reasons other than they just win. Sometimes, like Langston, folks root for local heroes. “Boo and David Toms are southern boys. People want to see and cheer for their local heroes.

Sometimes the reasons are more…interesting…as well. “I’m rooting for Baddeley!” chirped Rebecca from Mississippi. “He’s got the cutest buns.”

While the sentiment is a little lowest common denominator, the point is important: good looking single guys interest the fans. Moreover, local favorites draw, and altruistic, sportsmanlike attitudes draw. Look at the fans who love Ben Curtis. They proudly displayed “Ben’s brigade” buttons not because he’s a star, but because he sets a good example, is a role model and, as such, makes the whole game look good.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:38:55 PM by Jay Flemma »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
Jay,

Are you borrowing from Abraham Lincoln again?

It was a gas to catch up with you on the golf course today. Thanks for showing me around the Media tent. Very cool.

Do you think Tiger would have fallen apart on the last three holes like the leaders did today?

Harrington finished par, birdie, par on three brutal holes. Where is the 'falling apart' in that?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Bradley Anderson

Re: OHCC: !monster get brass knuckles 2) no tiger no problem
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »
Dean,

Curtis and Garcia definitely seemed to fall apart on the last few holes to open the door for Harrington.

Jay,

Lincoln once apologized for giving such a long speech, because he was too busy to prepare a short one. The idea being that the more time he had to prepare a speech, the more economic his choice of words. By the way, sorry if I came across as a critical of your piece. Everything that you have written about the event, I think is very logical and interesting.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
So now, with two Majors, Harrington replaces Tiger as 'Player of the Year'?

I remember when Michael Jordan dominated the NBA. They were forever finding some excuse to occasionally give someone else that title, just so it did not look repetitive. Michael clearly deserved it virtually every year he played.

I wager that if Harrington wins anything else, he WILL be 'Player of the Year'. Sorry Tiger, outta sight = outta mind!

And yes, golf goes on nicely without Tiger. But he is STILL quite conspicuous by his absence.

Doug

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
So who will be the favorite for next year's Masters?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »
Dean,

Curtis and Garcia definitely seemed to fall apart on the last few holes to open the door for Harrington.

Jay,

Lincoln once apologized for giving such a long speech, because he was too busy to prepare a short one. The idea being that the more time he had to prepare a speech, the more economic his choice of words. By the way, sorry if I came across as a critical of your piece. Everything that you have written about the event, I think is very logical and interesting.

no you weren't critical at all...I was suprised.  I didnt know lincoln said that.  I thought Marino Oarascenzo did ;D ;D

so far paddy is POY

Jason McNamara

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
So now, with two Majors, Harrington replaces Tiger as 'Player of the Year'?

It worked for Mark O'Meara in '98, even though Duval won EIGHT times that year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back