News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Sydney Gets the Open
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
Pat,

What are you up to now?

tonyt

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 03:11:20 AM »

As one who's lived in Melbourne for the best part of six years, I'm fairly disappointed with this decision. Obviously they are concerned about the quality of the fields, but I think they are doing a great disservice to the event and to Victoria.

I find the most compelling Oz opens have been the ones played on the traditional sandbelt courses like Victoria and Kingston and now we'll all have to wait several years before that happens again.

Matt, it is a good decision because if the decision wasn't made, rather than seeing a compelling Open on the sandbelt in a few years, there mightn't have been an Australian Open in existence any longer.

The future of upper end pro golf in Australia lies crucially around events not moving between markets.

There is one way to bring the Open back. And that would be if the Masters left town. There are currently a squillion different rumours of varying reliability on that event's future after this year and potential suitors.

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »
Pat,

What are you up to now?

Teaching.  Also running a non profit program for kids, providing free after school tutoring/mentoring for ages 7-18.   If the kids meet their education requirement, the get a free golf lesson and golf for a dollar after 2pm every day.   Have about 280 kids per week enrolled, all at no charge!  Pretty cool program, all privately raised money

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 09:51:39 PM »
Pat,

That sounds like great fun - we need some of the same down here.
There are no too many kids running around the sandbelt these days and it is programs like yours that would get local kids playing.

Pat Burke

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »
Pat,

That sounds like great fun - we need some of the same down here.
There are no too many kids running around the sandbelt these days and it is programs like yours that would get local kids playing.

That bothers me, always felt golf in Aus was more accessible to all, and gave the kind of opportunity we strive to offer.  Not as much junior development as when I was down there?   Maybe I need to come back and get the ball rolling!! :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back