News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSlonis

Re: Forget the pros' bellyaching. Oakland Hills is EASIER than Torrey
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
I will be surprised with all the pressure to finish today that the officials don't attempt to move him along.  I almost hope they fall behind a hole so he gets on the clock.  

They're playing threesomes the last round.  Holmes, Curtis and Henrik.  If they impose a penalty for slow play, don't they have to penalize the entire group?  This could really get bizarre, if someone leapfrogs all three leaders because Holmes plays slow. 

Jim,

I don't believe they have to penalize the entire group.  I think the entire group would get put on the clock and then each player is individually timed after that.  Depending on the amount of "bad" times, a player would then get penalized.  Since a slow play penalty is almost NEVER given out, I wouldn't expect any today either, no matter how slow they play.  It's a bad system.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
Gents:

Please -- nuff of the idea that penalties for slow play will be handed out.

Never going to happen ...

unless ...

the guy or guys in the group bring a posturpedic and actually go to ZZZZ right there.

It sounds good to penalize and should be done but no organization will do it to someone in the throes of battle.

Daryl David

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Thanks to JB's 7 on the opening hole, CBS disappeared him.  They only showed him hitting one shot and it was recorded.  Wonderful!!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Final stats:

TP           OH          

Ave Score       74.725  74.316            
Eagles                  20            18              
Birdies                955         971
Pars                  4953       4635
Bogeys             2081       2265
D. Bogeys          302         297
Others                  41            37
Rounds in 60's   24            32

Winning score at OH was 6 strokes less than at TP.  Harrington shot 66-66 the last two rounds: no one came close to touching that at TP.  They didn't touch Villegas' 135 either, those last two rounds, or Curtis' 135 the middle two rounds.    

I saw the final 8 holes.  Harrington is a miracle worker.  Absolutely fantastic golf.  

It won't surprise me if Curtis wins another major somewhere along the line.  

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 05:32:13 AM »
And say what you want about the 18th hole at Torrey being a par 5 and the 18th a Oakland Hills being a par 4, but the bottom line is that a 500-yard par-4 with a 4.7 scoring average is a harder hole than a 500-yard par 5 with a 4.7 scoring average. Par does mean something.

If you disagree with that, then I guess you'd also say that the 238-yard par-3 17th at Oakland Hills must be an easier hole than the 387-yard par-4 6th. After all, the 17th has a 3.4 stroke average, which is 0.6 lower than the 6th at 4.0.

Chris

Ahhhh, yes.  The 16th is harder than the 17th because it takes more strokes to hole out.  This business of difficulty related to par is a myth.  It has nothing to do with the course and everything to do with the warped thoughts of golfers. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back