News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

An interesting feature
« on: August 08, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »
I recently encountered a very interesting feature on a relatively short downhill par 4.

The feature was the configuration of the green.

The front was low, at the fairway level and began to rise fairly abruptly to a crest where it then fell away from the golfer.

The balance of the green had good contours and slopes.
Nothing wild, but good movement.

I watched with great interest as foursome after foursome played the hole.

Every golfer except one chose an aerial assault.

Most hit very good shots, some landing two feet from the hole.
But, none of them stayed within 20-30 feet of the hole.

Others tried to squeeze their approach between the front of the green and the hole, but, shots hit short of the crest came back down to the fairway.

Others tried to lob their approach short of the green hoping it would bounce up onto the plateau, but, because the fronting fairway was fairly flat, if not slightly uphill toward the green, these shots also came up short, leaving a very difficult putt.

Only one golfer hit a low punch shot that landed well short of the green, still on the downslope of the hill, which ran up onto the green about 15 feet from the hole.  His approach was from about 70 yards.

I tried to recall if I had seen this configuration on other holes.

While I had seen some variations, I couldn't recall seeing this particularly unique combination of features, as evidenced at this hole.

It made a very short hole and a very short approach extremely testy.

Have you seen other holes with a similar configuration in the DZ and at the green ?

JESII

Re: An interesting feature
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
Pat,

I cannot get a good image of what you are trying to describe. Any chance you can name the hole? Somebody is bound to have a picture that'll help.

Your description sounds basically like a false front to a runaway green, but if that were it I am certain you would have just said...

"An interesting feature...a false front to a runaway green..."  :-*

Patrick_Mucci

Re: An interesting feature
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »
JES II,

It's a slightly different variation on the theme.

It's the 1st hole at Glen Ridge, in NJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back