News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Panzarasa

Calabasas Country Club...any info?
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
Has anyone ever played or seen Calabasas Country Club? Thoughts on it? Its not far from my house and wondering if it is a place looking into to join and play. I know it will not be LACC, Riviera, Brentwood etc... but I have heard some decent things about it from people in LA.
 Any thoughts from those that have played it?

rjsimper

Re: Calabasas Country Club...any info?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
I played it, but it was years ago.  Wish I could offer more help, but I recall that my Mom played in an LPGA event there back in the late 70s.

Joe Perches

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
It's a fairly standard 2 hole wide housing course.
It's not an especially interesting design in my view.

http://www.calabasasgolf.com/
http://www.calabasasgolf.com/golf.html

From their website:
"extraordinary beauty, design perfection, and endless variety"

Everybody's got an opinion.  Mine's different.

It's a relatively easy course to play, no significant
hazards with a bit of elevation change on a few
holes.  I think it's a bit land constrained and a bit
short for long players.  The green shaping and
bunkering are bland.  Perhaps too many holes are
380 yards.  The housing around the course is also
a bit repetitive.

You might also consider Woodland Hills CC or maybe
Sherwood as relatively close by courses with a bit
more design interest.  Both of those other courses
maybe are over treed though.

After you play it a few times, I'd like to read your
opinion of Calabasas CC.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
If a country club is necessary, try to join El Cab.  Best option is Rustic Canyon which is not far away and of course awesome.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
I played Calabasas twice a week for a year in 1980 while I was at Pepperdine, it was our home course for the first year.  RT Jones Sr course that is very playable with good big greens and some barrancas for hazards and a few ponds. I always liked Woodland Hills but these days it may be too short. You might also look into North Ranch CC, which became our home course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
Ryan, your mother played on the LPGA tour or in the pro-am.  If she played professional golf, why did I not know it?  Do other lefties in SoCal know this?

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
Ryan, your mother played on the LPGA tour or in the pro-am.  If she played professional golf, why did I not know it?  Do other lefties in SoCal know this?

Lynn,
She played in the LPGA event there...one of the only ones (or maybe the only one) she ever played in.  She qualified as an amateur (back then she was a pretty good amateur player) but decided, thankfully, to have a family instead of turning pro.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 03:30:58 PM »

Lynn,
She played in the LPGA event there...one of the only ones (or maybe the only one) she ever played in.  She qualified as an amateur (back then she was a pretty good amateur player) but decided, thankfully, to have a family instead of turning pro.

Thankfully for you.  Maybe not for the rest of us ;)

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »

Lynn,

Thankfully for you.  Maybe not for the rest of us ;)

Could have predicted that one ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back