News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: "THere is no such thing as a great uphill hole in all of golf"
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
Interesting to see what people consider uphill. My definition is uphill from tee to green, and it needs to be significantly up hill. 16 at Bandon Trails fits my definition. 8 at Spyglass as well. Many great holes mentioned here I would not consider uphill holes.

So long as the green is significantly above the tee, does it matter what happens in between?

How does Miller feel about blind holes? 

To me if you have an elevated tee shot to lower fairway then hit up to a elevated green, it isn't really an uphill hole, its an uphill approach shot. To me, anyway. Also, holes that are gently sloping uphill, or level on the tee shot, with a slightly elevated green, I just wouldn't think of them as uphill, holes, that's all. Others do, thats fine. I feel the same way if its downhill in a similar fashion

Is 8 at Pebble an uphill or downhill hole? I wouldn't classify it as either.

BCrosby

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »
Interesting to see what people consider uphill. My definition is uphill from tee to green, and it needs to be significantly up hill. 16 at Bandon Trails fits my definition. 8 at Spyglass as well. Many great holes mentioned here I would not consider uphill holes.

Agreed. For example, I don't think of PII as having any uphill holes.

Bob

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
Sean and Mark,

As usual, I have not made my point clear, or have muddied the position. :-\

For Johnny, to have made this statement, I have (in)correctly made the assumption that he is NOT referring to any golf holes that start high, dip, and back up again - eg the list at Sand Hills above - or holes that play up a gentle incline, or even a moderate slope, because if that is what he WAS referring to then it is even more of a ridiculous statement than first thought.

My position in my post above, was one of extremities, for how else could you make a statement like that? It appears as though I am eating oranges while everyone else is eating apples.

Let me try the opposite end of the spectrum, the drop shot P3, a hole that is often derided by some, but loved and enjoyed by others, PB7 and SF7 come to mind - if these two holes played in reverse, they would universally be regard as average to bad holes, and certainly not great holes.

Sean, as you noted, if I had added a further point of clarification that was measurable, like MORE than one extra club, this would have helped to explain my point better.
BRETT

Mark, although my intention was not to be deliberately contrarian, what do the think the owner of the statement was doing, apart from sounding stupid or being taken out of context? Which I can also see how my post may have seemed, but devils advocate or challenging the majority opinion, has certainly helped me consider many of the holes I consider uphill, and their merit, even though my post did not properly convey my thoughts on the matter.

And so, I still argue that any hole that consistently asked for more than one club uphill - consider 2-3 extra clubs, for a driver, or 5 iron or wedge - is certainly no fun whatsoever, I will always concede to the treehouse's wiser and much more experienced minds that there are indeed great uphill holes. Still waiting to be convinced.
@theflatsticker

Mark Pearce

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2012, 03:10:52 AM »
Brett,

Given the identity of the individual making the original statement I see no reason to make any great effort to find a way of construing the statement in a way that doesn't make him look like an idiot.  I admire you for trying to do so but maintain that the interpretation you are forcing on to the word "uphill", in a bid to make Miller look other than stupid, is artificial.

Even then, I can think of holes (13 at Crail Balcomie is an example), which play steeply enough uphill to call for more than 1 extra club and yet which are excellent holes, even if I cannot, at the moment, think of a hole I would describe as unequivocally great which meets that description.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
In the Morman version of the afterlife, Johnny will be handed a hickory mid iron and be forced to play Old Mac #7 over and over with the one club until he comes to his senses.  Upon this moment of awakening, he will be reborn as a bird who hovers over #7 at Old Mac looking to do a little target practice of his own.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
I am inclined to disagree with most of the posts here, for me uphill is a tee shot to green surface that is blind, a tee shot to a fairway surface that is blind, and an approach shot off an uphill lie to a a green where the surface is completely blind.

I can't think of any that are good that match that description, and none are fun - on the other hand, if we requested everyone to list really bad uphill holes that fit the above, I bet we could get that thread to 5 pages in 24 hrs ;)

Redan at North Berwick ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back