News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Name This Course
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:22:55 AM »
It would appear that this meets the Sweeney "Inflection Point on Desination Golf".  :D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »
Of course, it's Dormie Club.  Two of the holes pictured have been shown on Crenshaw's web site for months now (and were posted on GCA, also).

Hard to believe they just started clearing this past October!   :o

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 08:54:27 AM »
Haven't been there in 15 years, but I'll guess Galloway in NJ.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
I'm thinking Dormie Club as well.

Pretty sure its not Cabot Links because all the pics I've seen of it show it as a treeless piece of property.

The other course C&C are working on according to thier website is the one in Tahoe.  But most of those trees show in those pics, other than the pines, are not what you would normally find in the Tahoe area.  And there's no mountains either.  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »
Not that many locales with the sand pine barrens, love grass combo...  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

james soper

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
dormie club.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

The 255 yard seventh above may seem like a beast but the ground game option of banking a ball in from well left of the green actually makes it quite fun to play.

I can't help but ask whether C & C might be going through a Nicklaus phase on this 7th hole... 

255 -  mandatory cut?

I don't see anything about a mandatory cut.

Sounds to me as though a straight ball will work.

Of course, if you're Kenny Perry, and you hit a draw 100% of the time, you can't expect every hole to work for you.

As for naming this course: How about "Bouncing Ball G.C."?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:44:35 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »
It is indeed Dormie Club, my new home course a few miles north from the village of Pinehurst.

Personally, I think the exposed sandy soil throughout the property is a big plus. Others evidently disagree as every other course in Pinehurst diligently tries to cover up the sandy floor with bermuda grass. To each their own though, however, as you can find Bermuda grass throughout the southeast and beyond, I truly don’t get why this region does all it can to hide its one main attribute/natural resource  ???

Based on the quality of the holes, I have little doubt that Dormie will open to rave reviews. Assuming that, I’ll be curious as to what effect, if any, such reviews will have on the other courses in the greater Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. How can one not appreciate the texture in some of the photos above versus courses that are over-grassed (and over-watered)?

Time will tell…

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
It is indeed Dormie Club, my new home course a few miles north from the village of Pinehurst.

Personally, I think the exposed sandy soil throughout the property is a big plus. Others evidently disagree as every other course in Pinehurst diligently tries to cover up the sandy floor with bermuda grass. To each their own though, however, as you can find Bermuda grass throughout the southeast and beyond, I truly don’t get why this region does all it can to hide its one main attribute/natural resource  ???

Based on the quality of the holes, I have little doubt that Dormie will open to rave reviews. Assuming that, I’ll be curious as to what effect, if any, such reviews will have on the other courses in the greater Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. How can one not appreciate the texture in some of the photos above versus courses that are over-grassed (and over-watered)?

Time will tell…

Ran, I thihk those sandy wastes exemplify the sand hill look.  If you look at the Pensacola Country Club photos, you'll see we have acre on acre of sandy waste as well.    It's great - as long as you don't have to play out of it very often!

Looking forward to a first hand look at the Dormie Club.

Mike Benham

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
I was going to guess The Stewards Club ... wrong again ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 07:28:06 PM »
i think it looks absolutely fantastic.  sand is king!  that is why i love Tobacco Road and secretly love The Pit. 

man, i wish i could make that same statement "my new home course"

Dieter Jones

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
I agree that looks fantastic.

What would be the intent for the waste areas over time. What's invovled in maintaining areas like that (if anything)? Is something like that difficult / expensive to maintain over time compared to if they had decided to grass the lot per surrounding courses?

Nice to see. Any more photo's?
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Matt Varney

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:54 AM »
Ran,

Great pics of The Dormie Club and I would like to see more.  Is Dormie going to be ultra private or can I come over and see the course during these final stages of grassing?  I can see the C&C style and Bradley bunkering like Friar's Head, Bandon Trails, Hidden Creek, Old Sandwich and it looks great.  I love the natural roll of the sandhills region of NC and this course will get rave reviews when it opens.

Matt

Jim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:05 AM »
Ran, are you going to do a full profile of Dormie, at the appropriate time?

Steve Kline

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:05 AM »
Ran - the look and feel in the pictures of those holes is outstanding. However, I'm not sure it will much of an impact on the other courses in the Pinehurst area for one simple reason - 98% of the people going to Pinehurst will never see, play or experience Dormie Club. It's not like the other courses are going to start losing play to the Dormie Club - at least from what I understand of the membership dues, exclusive status, etc. Although based on those pictures and assuming firm and fast conditions I would play it over #2 all day long. Everytime I play #2 these days it is slow and wet.

rjsimper

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
Is it just me or are the photos removed from this post?  I missed them the first time around and would love to see them...

hhuffines

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:21 AM »
I'm with Ryan... can someone help a brother?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back