News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Although I'm sure that we've done threads on Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek, I must have been "on vacation" from GCA at the time so the article on page D5 in today's NYT was a learning experience.

Rather than recount what most people on this DG already know (except me until now), I'll ask the more computer-friendly participants here to provide links to the article itself and to any threads we may have done on these guys (or Taconic).

Also, any links to a book called "The Life and Work of Wayne Stiles" by Bob Labbance and Kevin Mendik - who are probably regular contributors to GCA and I've just never noticed.

Either way, the article is a good read.  I am near the courses mentioned rather often as my daughter goes to summer camp nearby.  I haven't played Taconic in over 35 years but I've always thought it was the best "short" golf course I'd ever seen.  I hear its' been lengthened/restored, etc. but I haven't seen or heard much about the results.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Stiles and Van Kleek, Taconic Golf Club in the NY Times, 8/4/08
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
Chip,

Buy the book and kill a tree.  I just checked my copy and it is not printed on recycled paper.  http://www.waynestilessociety.com/book

ChipOat

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »
JohnK:

Only Stupid Trees need to be euthanized.

Thanks for the link.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
Go to our new and improved search feature and search - The Life and Work of Wayne Stiles - you will find many links to interesting threads.  It is how I found the link to where you can purchase the book.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
Was out there yesterday at Taconic whilst on a little (otherwise) non-golf reunion and got to ride around the course with superintendent Kent Lemme.

Thanks to some much-needed tree management the place now actually looks like it's in the Berkshires. A Gil Hanse master plan is to be started up for implementation Aug. 18, calling for some new tees, greens expansion and much bunker reclamation and restoration. Quite the little gem.

John Burzynski

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
Lot's of those guys running around (well, maybe not running around anymore, if they are still alive) without their just due.  Bill Diddel here in the Midwest comes to mind, he designed lots of challenging muni's and smaller courses, and if you asked 99 of 100 golfer's who he was they would just stare at you blankly, all while playing one of his courses.     http://www.billdiddel.com

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »
Brad K -
Where were most of the trees removed?  I'd think maybe 3/4, 14, 17/18 might be candidates, but I've never seen any plan.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Lot's of those guys running around (well, maybe not running around anymore, if they are still alive) without their just due.  Bill Diddel here in the Midwest comes to mind, he designed lots of challenging muni's and smaller courses, and if you asked 99 of 100 golfer's who he was they would just stare at you blankly, all while playing one of his courses.     http://www.billdiddel.com

Diddel is not in the same league as Stiles and Van Kleek.  It's like comparing Wabash to Cornell.  Please, just give us a hint of anything lasting that Diddel built.  Here is a great link to some Diddel basketball history:  http://www2.wabash.edu/blog/wabash_hoops_53_65/2006/12/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:17:20 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Blain

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
Here is the Gil Hanse master plan for Taconic. I believe the cost is in the neighberhood of $2.5 million. Supposedly they are starting August 18 and will be done by late spring '09. Can't wait to see it.....

http://www.taconicgolf.com/coursemasterplan.htm

John Burzynski

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »

Diddel is not in the same league as Stiles and Van Kleek.  It's like comparing Wabash to Cornell.  Please, just give us a hint of anything lasting that Diddel built.  Here is a great link to some Diddel basketball history:  http://www2.wabash.edu/blog/wabash_hoops_53_65/2006/12/

Perhaps Diddel is not in their league...I won't dispute that point as I am not as familiar with their architecture.   My point was more that there are lots of relatively unknown architects who designed many of our municipal courses who toiled in relative anonymity.  Diddel is credit with some 40 or 50 courses on a website about his life and architecture; indeed none of them are 'well known' outside of the Midwest or the area where the course exists, but many of them are fine challenges for golfers.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »
I played Taconic today just before the rainstorm swept in over the mountains.  The course was saturated and we were forced (thankfully) to walk.  I had forgotten how difficult mountain putting is, but the course reminded me.  It had been nearly 25 years since I last played the course at Williams College and it was certainly worth the wait.  My trusty Rebel fired 190 images of the layout, important to me as the course begins its renovation work on August 18th.  I'll do my best to get the images "out there" if you are interested.  Would Taconic be Taconic if it were not in the Berkshires?  Probably not.  Just another example of a course making the most of its environment.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

I am in the 1% having played many Diddel designed courses in Ohio and Indiana. Before Pete Dye retooled The Fort, it was Fort Ben Harrison base course designed by Mr. Diddel.

In Cincinnati, Kenwood CC, Royal Oak CC, Reeves GC, California Gc and quite possibly Sharon Woods as well.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
According to the Hanse master plan (http://www.taconicgolf.com/CourseMasterPlan/pages/Taconic_Master_Plan-08.htm), it looks like the horseshoe bunker between greens 8 and 11 at Taconic will be replaced/swallowed by a new Sahara.  It's definitely a shame that the bunker will disappear from the world, yet I anticipate the new/old one.  There is a feature on the master plan site where you can supersize the images of each hole and I encourage all to take a look.  Nicely done.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cory Brown

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
JPBlain,

Thank you for posting the link for the Taconic masterplan website.  It looks really good.  If more club members could embrace plans like this one, and detach themselves from the emotional attachment to trees the world would have much better golf courses.

Ronald,

I would love to see your photos from your round at Taconic.  It would be very interesting to compare the current course with the proposed masterplan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back