News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

A Lost Mackenzie in London - Now with Photo!
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
This is an interesting story I believe and takes a bit of telling, so please bear with me.

A search of The Times online archive brought up this very interesting reference from May 31 1920:

Suffice it to say this was a bit of a shock. Interesting to note the tense "has been designed".

This is some of what I was then able to find out about Hendon Aerodrome and the London Flying Club:

Claude Grahame - White (1879-1959)
In 1909, he became the first Englishman to gain an aviator's certificate.
He was also the first British pilot to fly at night.
In 1910, as owner of the Aerodrome, he established the first London Flying Club on 207 acres of North London pasture, thus beginning the long history of aviation at Hendon.
In September 1911 the Grahame - White company operated an experimental air mail service for two weeks between Hendon and Windsor. As well commemorating the coronation of King George V, and raising money for charity, the event publicised the possibilities of the aeroplane as a means of transport.
In 1925 Grahame - White's London Flying Club closed to become part of the 400,000 sq ft of property which was leased (short term) to Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd.
Eventually Hendon was sold to the Air Ministry.
Aerodrome Road, separated some driving school garages from the disused Hendon Aerodrome. For a while the old runways were used by the driving school for students to practice their road skills.
During the 1970s, Grahame Park - a mixture of flats, town houses and terraced housing was built on the site.

Grahame-White in Vanity Fair 1911

RAF Hendon
In 1914 the field was taken over by the Admiralty and became a Royal Naval Air Station.
On 1st April 1918 The Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service amalgamated to form the Royal Air Force.
In 1927 the site became an operational RAF station.
On 17th March 1930, 604 Squadron was established:
Hendon remained a major airfield throughout both World Wars, and afterwards it acquired an international reputation as a centre of aviation, through the staging of spectacular aerial pageants.
On 4th November 1957 the airport ceased operations and entered a gradual decline. Eventually, the airfield was swallowed up by the concrete jungle of modern housing, with the Grahame Park Estate covering the majority of the site.
On 15th November 1972, the RAF Museum on Grahame Park Way was officially opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
The Museum occupies two of the original WWI Royal Naval Air Service hangars.
In 1974, Graham - White's London Flying Club's buildings were finally torn down to make way for expansion of The Hendon Police College.
The extensive collection on display includes everything from the basic stick and fabric planes to sophisticated jets.
In 1978, The Battle of Britain Hall was opened, followed by the Bomber Command Hall in 1984.
The Queen Mother was present at a ceremony to mark the official closure of the Hendon Aerodrome on 1st April 1987.

A little bit more about The London Flying Club from 26 June 1919:

Also The Times September 19 1919

"A “SUPER-RANELAGH."
LONDON FLYING CLUB AT HENDON
The London Flying Club, the largest institution of the kind in Great Britain, which has been established at Hendon as a social centre for private aviation, received an informal " house-warming " yesterday. It has been laid out on lines similar to the country clubs in America, the main building especially following this design. The site, on the heights of Hampstead, includes a private aerodrome occupying about 80 acres. Fifty bed rooms, a library, complete catering arrangements, tennis courts, aircraft garages, flying craft for the use of members, and a school for pupils are among the club's amenities. The club is within a quarter of an hour's motor-car run from Golder's Green. Lord Lonsdale is the president of the club, which includes among its vice-presidents Major-General Seely, Lord Weir, the Duchess of Westminster, Lord and Lady D'Abernon, Lord Curzon, Mrs. Winston Churchill, Lord Louth, Lieutenant-General Sir David Henderson, Sir Sidney Greville, Lady Limerick, Lord Lurgan, Lord Ribblesdale, Lady Helmsley, the Princess of Monaco, and the Duke of Rutland. At a luncheon yesterday, Lord Louth, who presided, said that they wanted flying men from abroad to regard the club as their home. Hendon, he declared, had done its full share in the defence of the Empire, 600 aviators having been trained there. Mr. CLAUDE GRAHAME-WHITE said the club was intended to provide the principal air terminus in London, but the aim of the committee was to organize it at the same time as a sort of "super-Ranelagh," catering not only for flying members, but for the devotees of sport generally. In addition to tennis courts, a shooting range, and a gymnasium, they were laying out a golf course. They also had a trout stream, and it was proposed to build a real ice skating rink and an open-air swimming bath. These flying clubs were going to be a very important movement all over the world. The committee had arranged for a service of aeroplanes available to go anywhere at any time. The club will be officially opened on Monday."

So its clear that a course was planned as part of the London Flying Club. But was it built? The next lot of references I found were in regards to a golf professional James B Batley where I found him as representing the London Flying Club in a number of professional events in England and Scotland, including exhibitions with Braid, so he must have been a fair player. So why would a club without a golf course have a golf professional? The answer is that they wouldn't would they, they did have a course, of course!

Next entry is in the property listings and advertises a house for sale, property advert from The Times September 15 1920

"EDGWARE, MIDDLESEX (Hale Lane) - 1/4 mile of G.N.R. Station, the quaint old village, church, ‘bus and tram routes, near Canons Park Golf Course and London Flying Club and Links."

Note the reference to 'Links'.

After I found the next entry from The Times September 8 1920, everything fell into place for me:

I knew that one of the courses listed in Dr Mackenzie's 1923 advertisement with its extensive list of courses he had designed under the London heading was "London Country", but I had been unable to find anything about it in a simple Google Search and assumed it no longer existed. But here was the key that linked it back to Mackenzie and linked the London Flying Club to the London Country Club.

From this point on there a few references to the London Country Club, including some for their professional JB Batley.

Next entry of any relevance is from Feb 1 1926:

Clearly the club was experiencing difficulties and believe this was in regards to owner Grahame-White closing the club to become part of the property leased to Standard Telephones & Cables (STC) in 1925.

By March 31 1926 the golf course of the London Country Club had been taken over by a newly formed members club called Collindale GC.

The Times March 31 1926
"THE NEW COLINDALE CLUB.
A new members' club has been formed, with the title of the Colindale Golf CIub, to take over the course of the London Country Club at Hendon. A new lease has been obtained from the Air Council, and alterations and improvements have been made to the course."

And I could find very little about Colindale GC, except for a number of adverts like this one giving their location and touting for members.

And that's pretty much when the trail goes cold for me, and I suspect that when the RAF took over Hendon to make it an operational RAF station some time in 1926 that the course was acquired and Colindale's lease terminated.

So that's the story I've been able to piece together so far. Mackenzie designed a new course for Grahame-White's London Flying Club in 1919/20 and it was renamed London Country Club in Setember 1920, eventually being taken over by the Colindale GC in 1926 after the London Country Club became defunct.

A nice example of unknown Mackenzie surfacing, only to be found to be already extinct. As the course was around for 6 or 7 years one would hope there are some photos in the contemporary British golf magazines such as Golf Illustrated and Golfing.

I have now found that the RAF Museum at Hendon has a copy of the London Flying Club's prospectus so I have enquired with them about this item - hopefully there may be a reference to the golf course in there and possibly a plan to show where it was. Fingers crossed. I've also made some enquiries about early aerial photographs of Hendon Aerodrome that may show the golf course.

I'v also just found a book on the history of Hendon Aerodrome by David Oliver and it confirms that the London Flying Club did have an 18 hole course, "Situated on the southern side of Airport Road where a separate airfield had been created, the Club featured a lavish sixty-room clubhouse, no less than thirty hard tennis courts, two polo grounds and an eighteen-hole golf course". Here's a photograph of the clubhouse:

Oliver indicates that after Grahame-White closed the club and leased it to Standard Telephone and Cable Ltd, the golf course was leased to Colindale Golf Club. By 1926 Hendon Aerodrome's ownership had passed to the RAF. He does not mention the final fate of the golf course.

Still more to be found out in this story but an interesting start that I've been able to piece together in the last few weeks. I'll be interested to hear any comments and/or suggestions, but it is remarkable that undiscovered Mackenzie courses are still out there. The truth is out there!

cheers Neil

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:10:04 AM by Neil_Crafter »

David Stamm

Re: A Lost Mackenzie in London - Rediscovered
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:21:32 AM »
Neil, great find!!!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:49 AM »
Thanks David - I thought so!

Philip Spogard

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:49:36 AM »
Neil,

Great post. I some times manage to find maps at www.ukaerialphotos.com but since they tend to start in the early 1940s it is probably to late. (I just had a look and couldn't find anything).

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
Melvyn Morrow kindly sent me through this clipping from The Times of June 21 1920 of the official opening of the London Flying Club course. As you can see it was an all-star cast with Vardon and Ray matching up with George Duncan and the local pro James Batley. Interesting at that time only the first 9 holes were completed. Batley more than held his own in that company.

Thanks Philip, glad you liked it. I think by WW2 the course was well and truly gone but I don't know for sure when it was ploughed under - it ay have just been abandoned for a few years after 1926 until the land was reused as part of RAF Hendon. Hopefully I can find out from my enquiry with the RAF Museum.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
Neil
Great detective work. Did you notice MacKenzie advertise his name as Mackenzie? Obviously you did hence the lower case 'k' in the title of the thread.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
How about the Thamesview Colf Center?  Near an airport and when you look at the aerial there are a lot of old features in strange places.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
Neil

Have you contacted those clubs nearby? Do any of their courses or properties overlap with the location in the article?

Coming to this find sounds like a very rewarding leg of the journey.

Mark

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
Mark
I haven't contacted the two clubs nearby, Hendon and Finchley if I recall correctly and both seemed somewhat to the north of the old aerodrome, whereas Oliver describes the LFC and its golf course as being to the south of Airport Road. I'm doubtful there's any overlap, but I wouldn't bet on it with your money! Yes it has been a rewarding find Mark and makes the time I have been putting into Mackenzie research of late definitely seem worth it.

W H Cosgrove
I've not heard of the Thamesview Golf Centre - what do you think its relevance to the LFC might be?

Tom
Thanks. I'm of the habit of writing his name without the capital K as its easier to type it that way! When I first started researching Mackenzie in Australia about 7 or 8 years ago I had my copy of Grant Books reprint of Golf Architecture in which Bob Grant said that they would adopt the lower case version for their book as that's how Colt spelt it in his introduction. Seemed good enough for me and I've used it that way since. However, I think its pretty much interchangeable and while there is evidence for both, I reckon there's somewhat more evidence for no capital and this evidence is earlier and the evidence for a capital comes later.

Neil

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
9 holer in London near the London town Airport and when looking at the aerial their seem to be architectural features that would suggset there was more there at one time.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:27:41 AM »
WH
Thamesmead where the Thamesview Golf centre is located is not close to Hendon, so if there are remnant features there they are of another old course I would say.

I think I've figured out where the course and clubhouse were relative to today's scenery. After the clubhouse buildings were leased as laboratories for STC, they were taken over by the Hendon Police College and in 1974 the old buildings were demolished to make way for an expansion of the college. Oliver refers to the golf course and clubhouse being sited south of Aerodrome Road, and this road still exists today. Below is a google map view in which I have highlighted the location of the RAF Museum on Grahame-White Way and the Hendon Police College south of Aerodrome Road. Also the location of Colindale Tube Station is shown as the old Colindale GC advert indicated the club was only 3 minutes from the Colindale Tube Station. This would be about right for a clubhouse just south of Aerodrome Road. So I guess the golf course, which was described as being immediately adjacent to the clubhouse, stretched away to the south and across the area where Colindeep Lane is and also the M1 which can be just seen at lower right of the photo.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
Wonderful stuff, Neil - thanks.

It probably shouldn't, but it never ceases to amaze me the twists and turns of golf courses back in those days, e.g. a flying club making room for a golf course, the golf course designed by Mackenzie and inaugurated by Vardon and Ray, a few years later being taken over by a men's club looking for members, and then not long afterwards...gone and (almost, and almost immediately) forgotten.

Reading people like Bernard Darwin, with his love of the game and its history and its fields of play, it's easy for me to get the impression that golf courses (especially good ones) in that time and place were highly valued and appreciated and 'meant' a great deal, at least to a certain kind/class/type of person.  But then reading this, it seems like the only constant back then was change...and the demands of business.   

Peter 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:42:19 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »
Fascinating!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
Neil

I know Colindale a bit;  The British Library (for Newpapers and Magazines) is there and a visit would probably uncover a lot of information on this course. I'm sure they have all the local press of that time.

The Hendon GC nearby is a much older club (1903) and is a pretty good course.  A bit of an unexpected "sleeper" with a solid routing and a good variety of holes.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »
Peter and Mark
Thanks for the kind words. Peter, it is amazing that a course like the London Flying Club, designed by Mackenzie for one of the country's most prominent aviators in Grahame-White, and opened with an exhibition by Vardon, Ray and Duncan could have been totally forgotten nearly 90 years later. I wonder what the course was like, did Grahame-White give mackenzie a reasonable budget to work with? Given the lavishness of the club buildings which would have cost a tidy sum, one can imagine the golf course was not spared.

Paul
Thanks for your input. That would be wonderful if you could follow up in the British Library as the local press may have followed the story of the London Flying Club and its course a lot closer than did The Times. According to David Oliver's book on Hendon Aerodrome, he lists among his acknowledgements the "Hendon Times". So that might be a source worth following up too. Paul, I would also be keen to see if the course featured at all in Golf Illustrated, Golfing or any other golfing magazines of the day as these may be a source of some photographs. Any help you could give would be wonderful in better uncovering this fossil!

Hendon GC is off to the north, and as you say is older. Looks like a nice track from the air!

cheers Neil

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »
Neil, Looking at the Manchester courses in the MacKenzie prospectus, Bramall Park later called in Braid to remove the more extreme features of the design (shades of Sitwell Park), Didsbury lost much of its MacKenzie routing when the M62 (now 60) was built, with Peter Alliss and Dave Thomas doing the redesign work, Hazel Grove (late 80s/early 90s) had their course redesigned by Tom Macauley, losing in the process their famous Spion Kop hole, the 17th, Reddish Vale is reasonably intact (and great fun), Timperley (I didn't know it was MacKenzie) is a municipal course of no great character, and I'd never have guessed that Withington had an ounce of MacKenzie in it. As you might expect, of that collection only Reddish Vale would grab the attention of a GCA afficionado today.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »
Mark
Thanks for the comments about the Manchester courses. Anything further you can find out would be a help. While it is good to know what remains today and what would grab the attention of a GCA afficianado, that is definitely not the point of our work. We want to document what Mackenzie did at these courses, even if it was only 2 new greens or just a report that was submitted and never used.

As an example, Mark Bourgeois found a number of comtemporary articles in an online archive written by Anthony Spalding from the Manchester Guardian that described in some detail what Mackenzie was doing at a number of these clubs. Here's what we have about Withington:

WITHINGTON GC
DSH suggests a 1912 and a 1921 renovation by AM. Not listed by Hawtree or C&W. Constructed by CA Mackenzie - letter of testimonial to BGCCC from the Hon. Secretary of the club dated April 28 1921 expresses satisfaction with the work accomplished for the outlay. No mention of AM on club website. Anthony Spalding in the Guardian of 12 January 1914 reported that, “The Withington club has taken the first step towards the transformation of its course on modern lines, choosing as their architect Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, whose report probably shocked the officials and members: -- ‘The greens are not sufficiently undulating.  They are insufficiently guarded….There are not a sufficient number of really fine carries from the tee.  Your tee-shot bunkers are not the smallest interest to the scratch player, and only act as an irritant to the poor devil of a long handicap man….You have hardly a hole on the course of any real interest.  Your short holes, in particular, are all poor ones.…Many of the greens are much too blind for the approach shot.’ “

“The intention of the Withington Club is to carry out Dr. Mackenzie’s scheme in part.  He suggests a rearrangement of the order of the holes by which the course could be played in two loops of nine holes, and at the same time would make it longer, but this is held in abeyance.  If ultimately adopted it involves the construction of three new greens and one entirely new short hole, the possibilities of which appeal strongly to the designer.  The Council propose to alter the first three and the last five holes on the lines of Dr. Mackenzie’s plans, which includes the heterodox suggestion of a hazard in the middle of the course going to the second hole, 160 yards from the tee….The fairway will be widened on the clubhouse side, and the entrance to the green will be slightly from the left. Another of Dr. Mackenzie’s excellent suggestions is the continuation of the fourteenth green to the foot of the river bank, guarding the green on the right with a diagonal bunker, which will follow its outline.”

The Guardian reported again on 5 March 1914 that, “The constructional work which has been in progress on the Withington course for some weeks has reached a stage when the members are able to form an idea as to the value of the new hazards.  At the seventeenth and eighteenth holes, which are completed, the old cross hazard has been removed, the green is enlarged and wholly visible, and is located by large mounds faced with sand.  They are pleasing in shape, and the opinion of the playing members of all grades of skill is one of enthusiastic approval.  An elaborate scheme of hummocks is nearing completion at the second and third holes.  The work would have been almost impossible had it not been for the construction of a new drainage works close to the course, and by this means over 3,000 loads of earth have been carted to various parts of the links, and subsequently shaped into hummocks."

“It will be impossible to complete the whole scheme this season, but enough has been done to convince the members that the proposals of Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, the architect, are based on sound principles and impart greater interest in the game.  He inspected the work a few days ago and was particularly pleased with that which had been completed, and for this the club is largely indebted to Mr. George King, who is devoting much of his leisure to supervising the work.” After WW1 The Guardian recorded on 10 April 1919 that, “And it is one of the few courses that always seems to hold its own with the cracks, and particularly so since Dr. Mackenzie’s scheme of hummocks as the principal hazards was begun.  The war interrupted the completion of this work.  The 3rd, 6th, 17th, and 18th have already received attention; the 7th is going to be radically altered, and three or four more others will be dealt with as opportunity offers.”

As for Timperley, this is what we have so far:

TIMPERLEY GC (now Altrincham Municipal GC)
Not listed by DSH, Hawtree or C&W. Listed in AM 1923 advertisement, original course founded in 1893. Darwin (The Golf Courses of Great Britain-1925) confirms course as a Mackenzie, saying "Then there is the Timperley course, where Duncan was once professional, near Altrincham. It has been remodelled by Dr Mackenzie, who has made some good short holes there, notably the third, the thirteenth and the fifth, where he has piously imitated the eleventh at St Andrews." The date of Darwin's book and the advertisement would give a likely date of the early 1920's for AM's work at Timperley. The course was sold in 1934 and the Timperley club moved after the course was made municipal. The Altrincham GC were formed in 1935 and still play over the original course.

The Guardian of 12 September 1919 indicated that, “Extensive alterations to the Timperley course have been begun.  That the round was always a good test of golf has been demonstrated by the scores returned at the long series of open meetings, but its lay-out, with its numerous cross-bunkers, was admittedly antiquated.  Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, is responsible for the scheme of improvements, and in the general plan he has produced some cunning punishments on his usual lines—sand scrapes and grass hummocks.  Another excellent result of the alterations is the addition of 600 yards to the length of the course, making the total measurement over six thousand yards, the modern ideal distance.  This will be brought about not by taking in more land, but by rearrangement of that already possessed.  The rearrangement will bring, too, a convenience which is considerable to any club—it will place the ninth green near the clubhouse, so that on crowded days players may start at the tenth and yet finish their complete round near what is sometimes called ‘the nineteenth hole.’  Altogether the scheme is an admirable one.”

The Guardian of 20 April 1920 decribed changes to 2nd hole and the “short 3rd hole.” “Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, and Mr. H.S. Colt, of Sunningdale, who are responsible for the scheme, express themselves satisfied with the work already completed, and the Council of the club feel convinced that, when the alterations are complete, the Timperley course will compare favourably with any inland links in the country as a test of golf.  Mr. T. G. Armstrong, one of Manchester’s best-known players, who is one of the few who have gained success at the game in spite of unorthodox methods, has undertaken supervision of the scheme to considerable advantage.”

cheers Neil

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
Neil, Thanks for that information. If you want any photos I'd happily take some for you and pop them on a CD.

The members of Timperley didn't own their course but rented it from Altrincham Borough Council and when the Council put the rent up the members decided they couldn't afford it any more and moved out. They had no course for a year but quickly became part of the newly founded Mere Country Club (which had not intended to offer golf facilities at the outset. Braid laid out the course and Duncan was the inaugural professional (and is partly credited with the design). I'm meeting Eddie Goodwin, one of Duncan's assistants, at the end of the month. He should have lots to say of interest.

Mark.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »
Mark
Thanks for the information about Timperley and their move.
And best of luck with your interview with Eddie Goodwin - can you ask him if he ever met Bernard Darwin and if he has any recollections of him? Thanks.
cheers Neil

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »
Neil and Mark:

Not to hijack your thread, but are either of you familiar with a course by Oxford called (I believe) Five Fields?

Thanks

Joel

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 03:16:36 AM »
Joel
No I am not, being in Australia is one disadvantage to knowing more about courses in the UK. Can you say why in particular you brought it up - is there any connection to Mackenzie you know of?
cheers Neil

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »
Joel, Are you thinking of Southfield? It's the home of the Oxford University Golf Club and two city clubs. I played it a lot as an undergraduate. The web site is http://www.southfieldgolf.com/
It's basically a Colt course of the 1920s and there are several memorable holes.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 08:04:28 AM »
I have found an aerial of Hendon Aerodrome from 1935 which shows the London Flying Club's old clubhouse and tennis courts just south of Aerodrome Road and nicely in the foreground in this photo - this appears to be just before it was taken over for the Hendon Police College. The second photo is of the clubhouse a year or so later when it had been taken over by the police. In the aerial I wonder if there are hints of bunkers and fairways at the bottom of the tennis court area?

Neil_Crafter

Re: A Lost Mackenzie in London - Now with Photo!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »
Just received this photograph today from the RAF Museum, of what looks like the 18th or 9th green adjacent to the clubhouse. Not much doubt its a Mackenzie, so just thought I'd share this.

Thomas MacWood

Re: A Lost Mackenzie in London - Now with Photo!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo. Whoever planted those trees must not have liked the looks of the museum.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back