News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Driving ranges FARthest from first tee New
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
Just a random curiosity question after I noticed in an overhead picture that Colonial's driving range appears to be no closer than 600 yards to the first tee. I think Pebble's is also well removed but at least connected by a street. What are some more extreme examples?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:07:02 PM by Matt_Cohn »

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Driving ranges furthest from first tee
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
A couple of M's that require a cart ride...Merion and Medinah.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
The range for the Plantation Course at Kapalua must be at least 1/4 of a mile or more from the 1st tee. At least it was when I was there 10-12 years ago.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:45 PM »
From the Range to the First tee of PGA (Dye) is probably 1/2 mile. Legacy in Pinehurst also has a good distance, probably 500-600 yards. The Neuse in Raleigh, NC has about 600 yards distance. Mid Pines has a long distance. Those are all that come to mind right off hand.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »
The Golf Club (OH)
Blackwolf Run River
Seven Canyons

Also my old home course...Morris Park CC in South Bend, IN.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »
Now that Pasa turned theirs around it is a good 500 yard ride.Royal Oaks in Dallas,like Colonial,is a double ended range and the tee for the prevailing wind for a right hander is the far one,thus add another 350 yards.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Forgot Bel-Air,must be 700 yards.They didn't have a range until recently.Never played Merion.I thought there was no range there.Where is it?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
northwoods cc in dallas
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »
The tee area on the driving range at Wintonbury Hills is about 550 yards from the first tee and about 625 from the putting green.  It's not accessible in a cart; you have to drive to get to it, I believe.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »
Pine Valley.

Must be a kilometre from the clubhouse (that is about the same length as  two par 5's for the Americans).

James B

Edit

The Old Course (and New, Eden, Jubilee etc).  Driving Range must be 1500 metres away from most of these courses, but is (unfortunately) close to the current start of the Eden course as it utilises the original start of the Eden.  The driving range is opposite TOC #16 I think.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:08:40 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »
Astoria CC added a practice area and driving range perhaps since many of you have played it. It is perhaps almost a 1/2 mile and they provide carts to get you there and back.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »
The driving range at Bandon is closest to Pacific Dunes, but it is a drive or a shuttle to any of the courses from there.

Sand Hills warm-up range is a cart ride away from the first tee even if you are walking the course.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »
Sutton Bay must be a good 1/2 mile cart ride...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 01:07:45 AM »
Colonial and Pebble are two of the furthest I've seen. I seem to remember Stone Eagles being quite a ways.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 01:08:36 AM »
Pet peeve time, again....

Farthest. That word relates to space. Furthest relates to concepts. JeezLouise.....

It's a long way at Kapalua. Same at Pebble. Farther, I said FARTHER at Bandon Dunes. Those three come to mind, first.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:13:46 AM by Wayne_Freedman »

Josh Smith

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:45 AM »
Kyle Phillips moved the Range at Cal Club 450 yards from the first tee.  A major bone of contention for a lot of members, but it was putting the course before the range that gave him so much potential in transforming the course.  And the range is now in a cool setting, albeit a 4 minute walk away.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »
Pebble Beach

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »

Farthest. That word relates to space. Furthest relates to concepts. JeezLuiz.....

It's a long way at Kapalua. Same at Pebble. Farther, I said FARTHER at Bandon Dunes. Those three come to mind, first.

Using the proper application was FURTHEST from my mind at the time.  ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Will MacEwen

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:48 AM »

Farthest. That word relates to space. Furthest relates to concepts. JeezLouise.....

Are you trying to further your own agenda here by taking the thread farther from the topic?

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:53 AM »
Excellent.

Farthest. That word relates to space. Furthest relates to concepts. JeezLuiz.....

Using the proper application was FURTHEST from my mind at the time.  ;D

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
A driving range can only be 'furthest' from the tee if a player is not thinking about his first shot.

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 02:20:13 AM »
You guys just cured my insomia. I will go back and lay or lie or...

Chris Cupit

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »
Pine Valley seemed like a pretty good cart ride.

At Walton Heath you could drive to a practice field maybe 3/4 of a mile away.  Or, for a Mid-Am years ago, they had two nets and mats set up near the practice putting green.

brad_miller

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:12 AM »
Not even close, Fisher's Island, you need a car.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
Has anybody noticed yet that at five of the best courses you could name -- Pine Valley, Merion, Pebble Beach, Sand Hills, and Pacific Dunes -- the practice range is nowhere near the clubhouse?

Do you think that's a coincidence, or do you think it's a deliberate choice made in the routing process?

More good routings are ruined by the insistence on having a big range adjacent to the clubhouse than by anything else.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back