News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

The Original Silver Lake Country Club
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »
Ok you golf course architect sleuths….I have a challenge for you….

Silver Lake Country Club is a Larry Packard & Brent Wadsworth Design near Akron, OH which was founded in 1957.

However….the Original Silver Lake Country Club was built in 1917 (9 holes) and was expanded to 18 holes some time after that.  14 of the holes were located where the current club is (north of Graham Rd)…and the other 4 holes surrounded Crystal Lake.  See pic below….The red outlined box is where I believe the original clubhouse was located.  The course was abandoned sometime in the 30's I believe.  As you can see the land around the lake was turned into residential sites.

My problem is…I haven't been able to pin down who designed the original course. 

I haven't decided on a prize for the person whom produces the answer….but it will be awesome.

Other designers in the area around 1917…I'm sure there are more

W.B. Langford (Fairlawn CC & Portage CC in 1918)
Donald Ross (Brookside 1921, Shaker Heights 1915)
Herbert Strong (Canterbury 1921, Lake Forest 1930)
Bert Way (Mayfield 1911, Firestone 1929)

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Ronald Montesano

Re: The Original Silver Lake Country Club
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:57:03 AM »
Club records aren't any help? How about the municipality where Silver Lake resides?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

DPierson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Joe,

Looks like a fun mystery to solve. Happy to help! Been researching some of the same stuff for Shaker.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
Joe, are any of the abandoned green complexes part of the redsign? If so what kind of bunkering and contours exist on those holes?

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
Well it took a little digging but I finally came up with this at our local library!

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
Well it took a little digging but I finally came up with this at our local library!

Nice digging!  He also did some courses in central FL, Pinecrest (the claim D Ross, but 0 documentation to that) and Sebring Municipal (maybe others).  Would be interested to see a list of all the courses he is associated with designing.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »
Joe, are any of the abandoned green complexes part of the redsign? If so what kind of bunkering and contours exist on those holes?

From the articles I read, it seems that none of the original course was used when the Club was reformed in 1957.  I would love to get my hands on a copy of the original set of plans….that's next on my to do list!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back