News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: The Ebb and Flow of GCA
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
I have a modest proposal.

Part of the problem is that all four of the combatants are amazing typists, most likely all took typing in high school with the girls, and are still at it, over 100 wpm without a doubt.

I propose that you fellows be required to type any posts that could conceivably be considered inflammatory on iPhone keypads.

This effectively reduces your typing speed to about 100 wph (words per hour) and would therefore act as an automatic cooling off period.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any inclination or interest whatsoever in cooling off, so this modest proposal could be as ineffective as Swift's.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
You're right, Melvyn, this was OTT.  I hope no one was too offended.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:13:13 PM by Bill_McBride »

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »
Please excuse my momentary slippage with that unattractive informality. I meant to address you as Mr. Pazin.

You are welcome to call me Georgie Boy, I respond to almost anything, but be aware that the only people that call me that are my mom and various older aunts and cousins - and Tommy N.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
Mr. McBride:

I did not take typing in high school with girls. And God Forbid, there were certainly no girls in my high school! I learned typing in the US Marine Corps of all places. My MOS was as a teletype operator. That's not exactly what one thinks of when they think of a U.S. Marine but even they had to communicate I guess. But they didn't just issue me a teletype machine, they issued me some pretty impactful ordinance too, including an M14, a gross of hand grenades and a half dozen personal transcontinental missiles, so let's hope those other two don't piss off me and The Pissboy too much. I have absolutely nothing to base this on but something tells me Mr. MacWood may've already departed. It might've been easier to do that than to produce the evidence I asked him for that Willie Campbell designed Myopia Hunt Club. :'(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:57:48 PM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
My esteemed Mr. McBride,

A capital idea!  Whilst we can't rely on any particular participant to self monitor themselves, perhaps its time to use modern technology to assist.  I do know that there is a word limit to posts, having on one occaision being told so.  Perhaps, a lower limit to the words, and adding a few words to the automatic filter (pissboy and all its variants come to mind) could at least limit the amount of damage in any one post.

However, I think its true that we have an interesting confluence of some of our longest winded, most passionate, and most combative (at least with each other) members currently unable to cool off enough for civil discussion.  We have had uncivil exchanges in the past (and I admit I am guilty as well, if only on the odd occaision) but never, to my recollection have they lasted this long, crossed so many threads, etc.

May I suggest that perhaps we use a strong hose to break up this dogfight?  Maybe each participant could attach one to their computer, with the contol knob positioned straight in front of the moderator?

Sincerely, and at your service,

Jeffrey D. Brauer
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
My Dear Mr. Brauer:

I'd just like to tell you in response to your last post instant in which you referred to Mr. McBride as "My Esteemed Mr. McBride", that since you have inspired me to be as polite as I've become that it totally fries my ass that you are still so much more polite than I am---you dick-head.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »
My long time friend Mr. Paul,

Thank you so much for the high compliment that I have inspired you. It ever so much made my day.  However, I don't feel as polite as I should be.  For example, your mention of fried things reminded me that I did not ask in my last missive how the missus' Fish Sticks concern has been going.

I also should express concern for your mental state, perhaps brought on by summer heat. Whist I am in the acquaintence of one Mr. Richard Head (and how embarrassed he is to go through life with that nickname) I am obviously not him.  Please have some ice tea or lemonade to keep your body fluids high.  Might I suggest that if you over indulge, you simply contact your friend "pissboy" for instructions on what do in that situation.

I trust all is well.

Best Fishes,

Jeffrey D. Brauer
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »
"I also should express concern for your mental state, perhaps brought on by summer heat. Whist I am in the acquaintence of one Mr. Richard Head (and how embarrassed he is to go through life with that nickname) I am obviously not him."

Drats, My Dear Mr. Brauer, that's another one that will jag me awake in the middle of the night into giggles----Missus Fish Sticks will not be amused.

PS:

I'm about to go over for dinner and I'm delighted to have the opportunity to call the dear wife "Missus Fish Sticks". For your information, the Mrs. Paul Fish Sticks Co. was taken to court over a decade and a a half ago by the Estate Office for using such a prominent name without permission (The Estate Office does not allow the commercialization of this name without a 79% vigorish on all profits). As far as I know it was some family from Camden, New Jersey with a Mongolian name. I believe the Estate Office allowed them to keep their nets, at least, perhaps a bit more. I tried their product once. Did you ever try their fried Wahoo ass sticks?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:33:01 PM by TEPaul »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
Bill

What have you done - you have removed that interesting picture. I would have happily debated the rights and wrongs of the naked female form any
day than read about the Ebb and Flow of GCA – Perhaps most may now understand why I love the natural shapes and contours of golf courses and why being close to Nature is good for your health.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Melvyn, there's so much offensive stuff going on that I figured, why add to it?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
You have to admit, there must be a dozen or more current threads that have digressed to the point where few others want to participate because of the feud going on between a select few.  Maybe it IS time for those involved to take a self imposed sabbatical for the good of the site (if it is not already too late). 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »
Mark,

Not to be contrarian, but could you look at the first two pages of GCA and tell me specifically what dozen (12) threads you're talking about that are burning in interpersonal warfare?

One can't get to stats any more, but I'm betting that participation is at least as high here as ever, and it's right in the middle of the US playing season.

I see a lot of good threads.   I started one yesterday on Saucon Valley Old and Fazio's work there, so perhaps that's one where you can weigh in your thoughts?

I also think there's a need for the interpersonal combativeness that exists to come to some type of resolution here, and censorship isn't the answer.   There are a lot of questions and important things being discussed between the insults.   It's a shame that it's digressed to that, but hey...this is the Internet and most discussion groups are 10,000x worse for that type of stuff.

If you can't find what you're looking to talk about, you can start a thread too!  Perhaps you can update us on what you've been up to, or where you've played of interest lately.

You're an optimistic guy..you know this stuff too shall pass.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:19:19 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »
Actually, Mark, it's pretty hysterically funny if you think about it....

Angry, intelligent, grown men fighting violently and insulting each other repeatedly over determining the course and direction of golf course architectural historical research.

If there was a Group Nerd Award given annually, we'd certainly be an odds-on favorite.   ;D

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:52:58 PM by MikeCirba »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
You have to admit, there must be a dozen or more current threads that have digressed to the point where few others want to participate because of the feud going on between a select few.  Maybe it IS time for those involved to take a self imposed sabbatical for the good of the site (if it is not already too late). 

I would agree.

TEPaul

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »
"I would agree."

Mr. MacWood:

You've said that a number of times in the last week or so. You even started a thread on it, didn't you? Then why don't you take a sabbatical? What's the problem?

DMoriarty

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2008, 12:02:19 AM »
Mark Fine. 

I am all for a self-imposed sabbatical.  But I am not interested in leaving the site again only to hear and read that my work and reputation are being trashed on a regular basis.   So I think we should all go.   But we all know that TEPaul needs this board like a junky needs a bundle, and he ain't going nowhere noway. 

So therein lies the dilemma.   

I also think there's a need for the interpersonal combativeness that exists to come to some type of resolution here, and censorship isn't the answer.   There are a lot of questions and important things being discussed between the insults.   It's a shame that it's digressed to that, but hey...this is the Internet and most discussion groups are 10,000x worse for that type of stuff.

None of this was necessary Mike.  Given your role in it, you are in no position to defend it.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:59 AM »
"I am all for a self-imposed sabbatical.  But I am not interested in leaving the site again only to hear and read that my work and reputation are being trashed on a regular basis.   So I think we should all go.   But we all know that TEPaul needs this board like a junky needs a bundle, and he ain't going nowhere noway."

Mr. Moriarty:

Your "work"  ::) was dealt with about three months around here after appearing on this website. Your "reputation" is a non-issue here and always has been. I'm not leaving but if you feel the need to take a sabbatical please don't let me stop you.    ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »
No one needs to take a sabbatical.  The positives outweigh the negatives IMO.  Though there would certainly be lots MORE positives without the attacks and counter-attacks. 

Joe Hancock

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »
"I am all for a self-imposed sabbatical.  But I am not interested in leaving the site again only to hear and read that my work and reputation are being trashed on a regular basis.   So I think we should all go.   But we all know that TEPaul needs this board like a junky needs a bundle, and he ain't going nowhere noway."

Mr. Moriarty:

Your "work"  ::) was dealt with about three months around here after appearing on this website. Your "reputation" is a non-issue here and always has been. I'm not leaving but if you feel the need to take a sabbatical please don't let me stop you.    ;)

Tom,

Do you genuinely think DM didn't put many hours and effort into the essay he wrote?

And, where is "here" that you referenced a couple times in the above quote?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JESII

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »

And, where is "here" that you referenced a couple times in the above quote?

Joe

DODGE CITY!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back