News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

I believe Watson's Canadian Golf Landscaping company constructed the 18-hole layout at Campestre de Cali in Colombia during the late 1950s.

I also understand that Club Campestre de Cali hosted the Colombian Open in 1946, 1951 and 1956 (when Arnold Palmer claimed one of his first professional titles).

If these tournaments all took place before Watson’s work was unveiled, did the Canadian architect redesign the original course or lay out eighteen new holes?

Dick Kirkpatrick

Jim

You have a PM

Jim McCann

Dick

Many thanks.

Don't let that stop anybody else pitching in...

Wayne_Kozun

Many of us Canadians do - I believe he did a lot of work at Toronto Golf Club, but I don't know what he did exactly and whether it improved or detracted from the course.  They recently did a very good restoration - which was done by Martin Hawtree.

Bill_Yates

"The Architects of Golf" has Howard Watson (1907-1992) listed with many design and remodel credits mostly in Ontario and Quebec, but with others in Florida, New York, Vermont, Maine, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Columbia and Jamaica.  He also worked with R.T. Jones and Stanley Thompson.  However, a great deal of his work was done with his son John.  And yes, Club Campestre de Cucuta in Columbia was one of his designs.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Brian Ross

I have found several sources online linking him to the design of Club Campestre de Cali, including a Colombia Travel Guide for Golf, as well as a book entitled "Golf in the Tropics."  Both list the designer as Howard Watson and list the course as opening in 1956. 

Perhaps the club existed before that but played elsewhere when they hosted the earlier Colombian Opens?
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back