News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Rules Question--Removed Flagsticks on Course
« on: August 07, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »
So I'm on the 1st playoff hole of our club's match play championship, which is also the first hole.

It's a par 5.

My opponent and I tee off. We then both hit our second shots, and, upon seeing the green for my third shot, I note that there is no flag in.

The cart guys remove the flags from the front 9 30 minutes before dark, as a precaution from keeping them from getting stolen by the ghetto-ass renters that run rampant through the front's ugly housing development.

I tell my opponent that the hole is essentially closed, and therefore don't want to continue on--I want to go to 10 where the flag is still in.

He wants to play on.

We call the 1st Assistant, he says it's up to the players--we wanted a ruling--he called the head pro, who said the hole must be played as-is.

What's the proper ruling?

John Kavanaugh

Re: Rules Question--Removed Flagsticks on Course
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »
I'm sorry you lost your match.  My 13 yr old son lost yesterday in a playoff and I have never been more proud of him when he took off his hat and shook the hands of his competitor and official.  You have some damage control to do my friend....cause you must be the talk of the club for trying to pull such a bush league move. 

Oh, the ruling...It is your home club and the third shot on a par 5 during match play...Walk up to the green if you have too to determine the pin location and get over it. 

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:12:56 AM »
If the flag is there to tell us where the hole is then I have to ask... surely the hole is in the same place it was 4 or so hours ago when you played the hole earlier?

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
Jed, are these are the guys who 'run rampant' through your neighborhood stealing stuff  :o ?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joey Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »
When the assistant pro told the two of you to work it out and you could not,
the committee becomes the final decision.   In this case it would probably be the head professional, if there was not a Mens GA...

All things being equal...all was equal for the both of you on that hole.  
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
You have to be kidding me ???

You have already played the hole earlier in the day - there is no reason to deem the hole closed, and as others have already said before me, go up and check your memory for the hole location and hit your shot.

As it is, the Golf Professional seems like the only person in authority to make the final decision, and he made it.  There is your "proper ruling".

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
Jed,

It depends, how close did your opponent hit his second shot?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »
So I'm on the 1st playoff hole of our club's match play championship, which is also the first hole.

It's a par 5.

My opponent and I tee off. We then both hit our second shots, and, upon seeing the green for my third shot, I note that there is no flag in.

The cart guys remove the flags from the front 9 30 minutes before dark, as a precaution from keeping them from getting stolen by the ghetto-ass renters that run rampant through the front's ugly housing development.

I tell my opponent that the hole is essentially closed, and therefore don't want to continue on--I want to go to 10 where the flag is still in.

He wants to play on.

We call the 1st Assistant, he says it's up to the players--we wanted a ruling--he called the head pro, who said the hole must be played as-is.

What's the proper ruling?

Jed:
Under the Definition of Flagstick in the rules of golf it is there to show the position of the hole.  There is nothing in the Rule Book that indicates you must have a Flag Stick on every hole or any hole. 
You could have had your caddie or an observer stand by the hole and hold up a club to indicate the position of the hole.
The ruling by the Head Pro was correct.
Best
Dave

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:36 AM »
Jed:
Under the Definition of Flagstick in the rules of golf it is there to show the position of the hole.  There is nothing in the Rule Book that indicates you must have a Flag Stick on every hole or any hole. 
You could have had your caddie or an observer stand by the hole and hold up a club to indicate the position of the hole.
The ruling by the Head Pro was correct.
Best
Dave

Thanks Dave.

I thought so!

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
Once you were told the hole was open and that was the hole that was defined as the first extra hole, you have to play it and not go to another hole instead.

The fact that the flagstick is not in the hole is irrelevant.  There is a decision (1-4/3) about a flagstick that was stuck in another part of the green and it says that the players have to live with the resulting advantage or disadvantage from playing to the wrong place.

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
Once you were told the hole was open and that was the hole that was defined as the first extra hole, you have to play it and not go to another hole instead.

The fact that the flagstick is not in the hole is irrelevant.  There is a decision (1-4/3) about a flagstick that was stuck in another part of the green and it says that the players have to live with the resulting advantage or disadvantage from playing to the wrong place.

We were never told the hole was open or not--but yeah, I understand....we defined it as the first extra hole ourselves.

I was perfectly okay w/ the ruling by the head pro.....

Tim McManus

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
If the pro/referree or someone from the Committee was not available to render a decision, and the match was being played beyond the course's posted hours of operation,  would one of the competitors have the right to stop playing? 

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »
In match play, a match can discontinue play at any time at the agreement of BOTH players, provided that the competition is not delayed.  So, if both player wanted to discontinue play they could. 

But, if one player wants to continue they have to continue or the other player would have to make a claim that the course was unplayable for some reason such as darkness and the Committee (the pro in this case) would have to make that decision.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back