News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: sand hills course maintained for $0
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
The big problem would probably be power.  I'd have to put a pencil to it, but I'm guessing we need more than a few windmills.  And I don't see any way around needing a few humans for maintenance, programming, etc...

Even in you buy the power, the energy cost is going to be way less than  buying gas or diesel.

If you need more than one person to do the programming, then the equipment was not ready for prime time before being put to use.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Chambers

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
even if you could do it, the course would be lacking the heart and soul that the super puts into it
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Matt Varney

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
Honestly,

As much as I would love the idea of zero maintenance budgets on any course it will never happen ever.  Golf courses require humans to be involved and even if these people truly love the game the daily requirements cost money. 

Mowing Fairways, Greens and Tees, Cutting Cups every other day and just keeping the golf course clean so that it maintains its beauty cost money.  I have thought about this idea for a long time and triued to trim the fat in as many places as possible to save money.

At a minimum it takes at least $200K per year to maintain a course.  This is only required mowing of tees, greens, fairways and first cut of rough outside these lines it grows raw and wild so it eats up golf balls.  Fuel costs and labor costs are expensive but also requird to maintain proper conditioning standards.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
Just get the capital costs thrown in on some omnibus bill in DC by labeling it a green park or something creative and then everything is "free".

Making earmarks work for you...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
Matt,

Are you saying the mowing cannot be done by GPS/computer controlled electric smart machines? Or if GPS is not accurate enough, something buried in the ground that machines can sense for their control?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Varney

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
Garland,

I want to see GPS / Robotic mowers tested on someone course other than ours first.  Have you ever seen the damage a greens mower reel will cause to a collar when it is off just a little bit doing a clean up pass mowing?  These mowers wouldrequire human proramming to cut on exact mowing lines, fairways lines, approach lines and tee tops without overcutting into the other grasses creating a bad conditioning look.

I love this idea but, it would cost a ton and we would have to place sensors all over the place on the golf courses to make it even work.  GPS, Electric, Robotic - I love the concept I just think it will be a long time off before it becomes accepted and received by the masses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back