News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

When did the rule for rainouts change?
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »
i remember when I was a kid that if all the players couldn't finish because of weather the entire round was washed out and they began anew the next day.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

Re: When did the rule for rainouts change?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »
They would still be stuck on 18 holes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
They would still be stuck on 18 holes.

Some tournaments only went 54 holes and they played in weather they wouldn't play in today. I remember them putting in puddles.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
Was that ever an official rule?  I always thought it was left up to the Tournament Committee. 

For our member tournaments at our club, we will only count the holes that everyone has completed. 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

MClutterbuck

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
Was that ever an official rule?  I always thought it was left up to the Tournament Committee. 

For our member tournaments at our club, we will only count the holes that everyone has completed.

Rules 33-1 and 33-2 d give the Tournament Committee the decision to suspend and restart a round or cancel the round.

It is the sole judgement of the Committee to decide, however, if restarting a round is very unfair to players that were out on the course at the time of suspension, it should cancel.

The decisions book has guidelines that shed more light. Decisions for tournaments with and without TV, with pros or with amateurs at club level are probaly very different due to different circumstances.

33-1/2Number of Holes of Stroke-Play Competition Reduced During the Competition
Q.A 72-hole stroke-play competition is scheduled over four consecutive days. Eighteen holes are to be played each day. On the third day, all competitors finish the first nine holes but a number of competitors are still playing the second nine holes. At that point, the course becomes unplayable due to heavy rain and play is suspended. The rain continues and it is impossible to resume play that day. What are the Committee's options?
A.The Committee does not have the authority to reduce the number of holes of a stipulated round once play has commenced for that round.
Under Rules
33-1 and 33-2d, the Committee has the following choices:

(
a)   resume play the next day and finish the third round and then play the last 18 holes that day or on a subsequent day,
(b)   cancel the third round, replay it on a subsequent day and then play the last 18 holes that day or on a subsequent day,
(c)   reduce to three the number of rounds of the competition and finish the suspended third round on a subsequent day, or cancel the third round and replay it on a subsequent day, or
(d)   cancel the third and fourth rounds and declare the leader after 36 holes to be the winner.

The first option is the preferred option as it is undesirable to cancel a round after extensive play has taken place (see choice b above) or to reduce the number of rounds of a competition when the competition is in progress (see choices c and d above).

33-2d/1Guidelines on Whether to Cancel Round
Q.In stroke play, in what circumstances should a Committee cancel a round?
A.There is no hard-and-fast rule. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the judgment of the Committee.
Generally, a round should be canceled only in a case where it would be grossly unfair not to cancel it. For example, if some competitors begin a round under extremely adverse weather conditions, conditions subsequently worsen and further play that day is impossible, it would be unfair to the competitors who started not to cancel the round.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:04:52 PM by MClutterbuck »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
I should have been more specific. I was referring to PGA tournaments only.
St. John of the Cross

MClutterbuck

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
I believe these rules have not changed since 1970, at least. So it appears there is no change in the rules that might have made the various PGA Tournament Committees change the way they proceed, if any change has in fact ocurred since then.

I suspect live TV might influence decisions towards preserving whatever play has ocurred and continuing play as soon as it is possible.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
The European Tour bought in a rule in the late 1980s or early 90s that decreed every shot played would count. I assume it's the same now on the PGA Tour.
I remember being in the last second round group at the 1984 British PGA and we had to play seven holes (from memory) for the round to count. The tournament started on Friday, Saturday was rained out and we began our 2nd round at 6.45 PM on Sunday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back