News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

An Arthur Hills Course I LIKE, and almost LOVE....PICS
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
I played Red Hawk GC (East Tawas, MI) last week and to the chagrin of my playing partners, I really liked this course. It seemed much different than most AH courses I had previously played (Legendary Run, Coosaw Creek, etc...), most of those being routed through new housing developments with the exception of Tartan East (Cols, OH) and Shaker Run (Lebanon, OH) and maybe a few others that I cannot remember. Red Hawk is not long at just over 6500 from the tips, and offers a LOT of risk/reward. For the money, I would play it again BEFORE the other courses that I played on this trip (Gailes, Blackshire, Serradella and yes, even the manicured Forest Dunes). A few boring holes on the back nine and i disliked the routing for number nine, a dog leg left to a small elevated green. But overall, a really solid course.

What are your thoughts on this course? Like it or not?

The best thing about Red Hawk is the little Red Fox that lives in the large bunker on hole number 16. He followed us for 3 holes "begging" for food...

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Criss Titschinger

Re: An Arthur Hills Course I LIKE, and almost LOVE....PICS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »
The Meadows 9 at Shaker Run has houses all around 7, 8, and 9, but that's the Hurdzan 9.  There is a grand plan to put some houses around the Hills 18.  Haven't been there in a couple years to see the latest developments.

Here's the master plan: http://www.liveatshakerrun.com/lot-map.pdf
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:42:44 AM by Criss Titschinger »

Brian Cenci

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »
Red Hawk over Forest Dunes?  I'm not buying what your selling.  But, Red Hawk on its own is a solid course.  Top 15 public in Michigan I think.  That fox is all over the course.  Hangs out on #2 tee too.  It's a solid Hills course though.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
You can play Red HAwk 3 times for the price of Forest Dunes once. I was speaking only from a $$$ point of view.

Of course, Forest Dunes is better, but NOT when you factor in the prices.
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Brian Cenci

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »
From a cost standpoint Red Hawk is probably one of the better values in the state for such a great course.  The only thing that I don't like about Red Hawk is holes 12-15 get sort of blah for me.  The front 9 is outstanding though.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
Yes, I agree, 12 thru 15 are mediocre at best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back