News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Hodson

Re: Only One Course For Life
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »
Bob,

You may be right about the rain...although it can be pretty predictible in Hawaii. But I'd have some nice views to look at whilst under my umbrella!

And I'll take hot over cold anyday.

wsmorrison

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
If you're going to factor in the climate, then I'd winter at Seminole and summer at NGLA

Pat the Obtuse Mucci,

Wintering at Indian Creek and summering at Shinnecock Hills is infinitely superior.  When are you going to come to Philadelphia and get some sense beat into you? 

How about wintering at Pine Valley GC and summering at Merion GC?  Now that works best for me, but not by much over SHGC and ICCC.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:10:28 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Wayne the myopic Morrison,

I think SHCC and ICCC are viable alternatives.

As much as I like PV and Merion, I think they fail my test on only one account, other than the fact that one of those clubs allowed you to become a member, and that is, the absence of The WIND.

Seminole and NGLA are swept by almost constant winds.

The same for Shinnecock and Indian Creek.

Pine Valley and Merion aren't.

WIND I consider the finest asset in golf; in itself it is one of the greatest and most delightful accompaniments in the game.

Without WIND your course is always the same, but as the wind varies in velocity and from the various points of the compass, you not only have one course but you have many courses.

Experts at the game temper their shots to the wind and learn how to make the most of it, pulling or slicing at will into the wind or hitting a low ball into the face of the wind.  It is here that the true golfer excels.

Low says: " A good player always prays for a windy day, but he must not pray too earnestly"

As to making the trek to Philly, the week of Aug 18th might be a possibility.
Or, the weeks of Sept 15th and 22nd.

Which are best for you and TE ?

Where is TEPaul these days ?

wsmorrison

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »
Pat,

I agree, wind is very important.  The routing and architecture at Shinnecock and Indian Creek take the wind into account in fascinating ways.  But after hundreds of rounds at MGC and dozens of rounds at PVGC, there is enough wind for me on a daily basis to gladly accept a few less mph for a lot more convenience to my little Merion cottage and the courses.  Ahhh, the courses.  Interestingly, the wind at Merion shifts throughout the round.  I don't know why, but it does and it adds a very unique aspect to golf there.

The week of August 18th works fine for me, though we are celebrating my youngest son's birthday (16 on the 17th).  Saturday is his golf party at Merion West.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:42 AM »
I would be very happy to stay a member of Bearwood Lakes for the rest of my life - combination of a superb, very scenic and well-conditioned course

Paul have you any photo's of the course?  I think the group would be very interested seeing a design by Hawtree.  From my one play, several years ago, I recall some superb holes but a few green to tee walks that I wouldn't fancy much as I age ;)

(I believe another poster on here has a brother who is also a member.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul Nash

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2008, 04:37:41 AM »
Hi Tony Muldoon
I haven't got any photos at present but it is something that I have been meaning to do for a while and will do at some point. As a new member to this site I have just failed to work out how to bring up your question in blue above my response, as you did!?

Question on photos? It says keep them to 128kb - is that true, as a lot of the photos I have seen on the site look to be very good quality? Either way, I will have to work out how to make file sizes smaller even on a low quality setting! Re the photos, I will do some, but I will also do a lot more next May when the rhododendrons are out as some holes do look stunning.

Jon Earl

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »

(I believe another poster on here has a brother who is also a member.)

Tony

I am that man. I haven't played there this year as my brother doesn't seem to be in the country for more than a week at a time (or maybe he is trying to avoid me). Hope to get down there in September.

I love Bearwood Lakes.

Not really a poor hole in the 18 with 5, 7, 8, 13 and 14 being noteworthy. What I like particularly is that Hawtree didn't overdo the water.

Great clubhouse and halfway house (with a view down the 10th).

I think you must be getting old Tony. The only longish walk I can think of is between 14 and 15. ;D

If there had been a better inland course built in England in the last 20 years I haven't played it. It beats places like the London Club hands down.

For me it wouldn't be 'one course for life' (toss up between the Addington, Walton Health and Moor Park) but it wouldn't be far off.
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:49 AM »
Muirfield.  I just wouldn't play many Tuesdays or Thursdays.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2008, 11:14:31 AM »
NGLA or Garden City. Garden City could have the funnest membership going. Both courses are a blast to play too.
Mr Hurricane

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
I heard Brad Klein on Peter Kessler's XM 146 show this morning answer this question with 3 choices:

1. Cypress Point
2. Royal Melbourne
3. Royal Dornoch

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

It couldn't crowded if you were able to tee off at #1 while the visitors were forced to tee off at #10 in the morning.

Perhaps it would be the riff raff the club allows in the dining room and bar between rounds.

;D  Just kidding, Mark, we all had an absolutely wonderful time there in March 2007.  Everyone at the club was very pleasant to us and the kummel was terrific before we changed clothes and headed out for the afternoon foursomes.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »

It couldn't crowded if you were able to tee off at #1 while the visitors were forced to tee off at #10 in the morning.

Perhaps it would be the riff raff the club allows in the dining room and bar between rounds.

;D  Just kidding, Mark, we all had an absolutely wonderful time there in March 2007.  Everyone at the club was very pleasant to us and the kummel was terrific before we changed clothes and headed out for the afternoon foursomes.
That was a good day's golf, wasn't it.  I like the dining room full, I just prefer the 2 1/2 hour rounds the members enjoy on other day.  Leaves more time for lunch!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
Pat,

I agree, wind is very important.  The routing and architecture at Shinnecock and Indian Creek take the wind into account in fascinating ways.  But after hundreds of rounds at MGC and dozens of rounds at PVGC, there is enough wind for me on a daily basis to gladly accept a few less mph for a lot more convenience to my little Merion cottage and the courses.  Ahhh, the courses.  Interestingly, the wind at Merion shifts throughout the round.  I don't know why, but it does and it adds a very unique aspect to golf there.

I was going to say, every time I've played Merion, I've always marveled at how the wind is always in my face... on seemingly every hole.  It was unbelievable. 

And to answer this question about "which course for life", I'd have to concur with the choice of Merion if I lived in Phila. still.  I know, I know... heresy from an Aronimink boy.  Since I still live in CA, I'd absolutely take Olympic-Lake everyday!

David Kelly

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
Royal Melbourne West although if I could have the course to myself I might pick Pebble Beach.  I've always wanted to throw down a bag of balls in the 8th fairway and have at it.  However,  present management frowns on things like that.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

jkinney

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
If you're going to factor in the climate, then I'd winter at Seminole and summer at NGLA

Pat the Obtuse Mucci,

Wintering at Indian Creek and summering at Shinnecock Hills is infinitely superior.  When are you going to come to Philadelphia and get some sense beat into you? 

How about wintering at Pine Valley GC and summering at Merion GC?  Now that works best for me, but not by much over SHGC and ICCC.

jkinney

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »

Pat the Obtuse Mucci,

Wayne,
   I'm curious to find out which course is greater in your mind - PV or Shinny ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back