News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfonso Erhardt

What course design features make resistance to scoring?
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
This last weekend I played in Neguri, which is an Arana layout in Bilbao, unchanged since 1961. The course plays 7000 yards from the back tees and 6600 from the men's tees, so its not overly long by today's standards.

Every time I play there I am surprised at how well the  course defends itself from low scores despite not having a penal nature (light rough, greens are not lighting fast, no water hazards and few bunkers). For the same reasons, shooting a very high score is also unlikely (in the absence of wind - the course is on the seaside of the Atlantic), which makes it very enjoyable for most people.

I have figured out that in this case it is a result of:

- Difficult set of par 5s (very hard to reach in two, with all three shots posing challenge).
 - Difficult set of par 3s (long and uphill)
 - Short par 4s have either very sloping greens or challenging drives (in terms of position, not length).
 - 6 greens that are sloped front to back
 - Good bunker placement

What in your opinions are course features that help make courses tough to score on while still making courses playable for most people? Obviously, please avoid the USOpen tricks (streching tees, long rough, deepening bunkers, etc.).

Philippe Binette

Re: What course design features make resistance to scoring?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
Resistance to scoring...

1) Contours on the greens and on the approach of the greens (it's crazy what a 3 feet deep swale in front of a green can do)
Even if they are not fast it's harder to make a 6 footer with 1 foot of break on slow greens that make a 6 footer with 2 inches of break on fast greens.

2) Variety in the length of par 4... This is what the Tour and USGA doesn't get. 
Give 10 par 4s of 420 yards to Tour guys they'll shoot -3. (4200 y)
Take the same length but give them 5 par4s of 470 and 5 par 4s of 350 (4100 y) and they'll shoot -1 or Even

3) Make players work the ball, diagonal angles 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
Alfonso, Your quantitative analysis sounds solid. Another aspect is a proper Maintenance Meld incorporating short grass and gathering bunkers.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »

In my view, this is what's gone missing.  Courses simply don't require players to work the ball like they could.  Of course, modern equipment has contributed to the trend, but I'd like to see more diagonals.  Incidentally, I'm not suggesting tight, tree-lined fairways as much as I am preferable angles and a mix of hole directions.

WW

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »
 >:( ;D 8)

false fronts

fairways that demand you to curve the ball

small greens

rough

water

Jason Connor

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:59 AM »

In my view, this is what's gone missing.  Courses simply don't require players to work the ball like they could.  Of course, modern equipment has contributed to the trend, but I'd like to see more diagonals.  Incidentally, I'm not suggesting tight, tree-lined fairways as much as I am preferable angles and a mix of hole directions.

WW

Amen!  More fairways diagonal to tees.  More greens diagonal to fairways.  Thus working the ball to the fairway is advantageous and being on the optimal side of the fairway to approach the diagonal green is beneficial.

Though if you just want a feature to fight scoring, I'd use tight OB or thick tight trees.  But obviously that's not what we want to do.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

I think Adam has the answer here.  When thinking of my home course, I could add a few shots by changing the fairway mowing patterns (around the bunkers letting the ball get in through fairway expansion) and fostering short grass areas around the greens rather than the velcro rough we have in spots.

Certainly a more "fun" change than narrow fairways and deep rough.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
Alfonso

The decision to plant saplings on the fairway, or perhaps building the water reservoir adjacent the greens are rather good at effecting my score

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
For pro's or other top players: more par 3's, fewer par 5's. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
Alfonso-

- Bunkers that play larger than they really are (gathering)

- Short par 4s

- Liberal use of short grass around greens

- Soft sand

- Non-horizontal hazards (one that run with the hole versus perpendicular)

- Subtle internal movement on the greens

- Grain

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
I'm surprised to hear several of you say "short par 4's".  Seems just the opposite to me. 

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »
Shivas,

You are right, I should have explained a little bit more....

1. Neguri is the name of the golf club
2. Bilbao, Spain. North of Spain, on the Atlantic Ocean, close to France.
3. Javier Arana is Spain's best known golf architect. He was the only person building courses in Spain in the 60s (until RTJ arrived...) and his best known work is El Saler, in Valencia, also in Spain.

A couple of photos (not very good quality).....

Chip,

I agree with all but for short par 4s, for which I don't get your reasoning

JimNugent,

In the case I mention, it is strong par3s and hard par5s (few birdies chances) which make the course hard for low handicappers.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Raised greens
- slightly elevated greens with run-offs around the edges. 
- maintain short cut grass around the greens, some collection areas, some run-offs into bunkers
- still incorporate a decent amount of internal contour in the greens

More distance means nothing, it only continues to favor the long hitter.  Precise iron play and short game skill are what should be focused on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back