News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

GCA Superlatives
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:28:34 PM »
If one were to have awards for golf architecture, what would they be? Since a general ranking is difficult, I tend to believe courses are best recognized for their unique qualities. Therefore, what would be some superlatives to bestow on courses, and what courses exhibit them? Examples:

Best set of one-shotters: Country Club of Buffalo. The volcano/quarry 6th, the monstrous but subtle 8th, the Volcano 12th, and the great reverse redan 16th.

Best bunker presentation: Orchards, Massachusetts. Fescue-laden bunker faces give the hazards authenticity, rustic, character, and challenge.

Controversial favorite: Cobblestone Creek, New York. Many of the locals dislike the use of marsh and bold greens on this wild Hurdzan/Schreiner design, but both features give course both thrill and variety. The routing spreads the various environments of the course evenly across the layout, making golf even more exciting.

Further categories would be greatly enjoyed.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ronald Montesano

Re: GCA Superlatives
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
Amazing!  I could not agree with you more on the one-shotters at Buffalo.  Ron Whitten liked 12 more than 6 but, since they opened up the quarry behind and around 6 (thanks to the club AND mother nature), 6 may be the most stunning-at-first-glance, inland par three anywhere.  16, I believe, is better than any par three at Pinehurst # 2, Ross' most recognized creation.  8, by my view, is substandard, an OK, this is all we have hole.  I think the green could have been a bit crazier, in order to protect par a bit.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
The usual suspects:

Course of the year
Architect of the year
Best New Modern
Best New Classic
Best Shaper

etc.......

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »
I despise the usual suspects.  Why re-do what every magazine has done?  Come up with a unique set of categories, that's what we should do!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
Avid Golfer does the Cart Girl of the year.  I am sure other mags do best 19th hole, best shower head (pine valley!), etc.

I wonder if there is a category of award that hasn't been written about somewhere?  At least, an award printable on a family web page or magazine......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back