News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

I had the opportunity to tour the New Course at Trump National-Bedminster this last Saturday.

The course is designed by Tommy Fazio, with input by Donald J. Trump. Many thanks to the member who facilitated my tour of the new course; he was the consummate host and gentleman for my day at Trump National. I am truly thankful of his generosity.

Donald Trump really has quite a splendid golf course in his second on the Trump National-Bedminster property. He was quite the nice man, who had a genuine love and care for the Game. I was actually surprised at how down to earth and easy to talk to he was, and obviously he loves Bedminster like it's his baby. Nothing funnier than watching Donald Trump become a "ranger" on the course and marshall around the players so that pace of play picks up!

Let me tell you, this course is really phenomenal. In my estimation, way better then the "Old" course, which is no slouch itself. Photos of the "Old" Course are located here if anyone's interested:

http://gallery.me.com/jedpeters#100255&bgcolor=black&view=grid

So on to the New Course--trust me when I tell you that this golf course was THAT good. Simply a world class facility. I'm betting that if there is going to be a Major anytime at one of Trump's facilities, it would be a PGA Championship, and it'll be played on the New Course. This track is going to come out in the rankings as even better than the first--it should--it is on a better piece of property.

Note that all yardages are approximate and taken from the "back" tee boxes. I have attempted to include nearly all the photos of the course, but may have failed in doing so--forgive me for that.

First Hole--450 yards, Par 4

The tee shot here is a straightaway shot, with approximately a 240 carry to the front edge of the fairway. The ravine can be carried with approximately a 200 yard shot, so it serves as more visual than anything else. Lots of room to the right to bail out. Serves as a good opening tee shot, with a lot of room if you are not right on your game.

The second shot is a splendid one--you have to hit a draw into this narrow kidney shaped green. Down the hill. This shot was taken from approximately 170 yards out, which is what I estimate the number that the majority of the players will have in. your miss here is left--if you do that--the possibility exists for your ball to trickle onto the green. Right is fairly dead, but there is about 30 yards of bailout from green to the treeline/hazard on the right.

Photo of the Kidney-Bean shaped green. You will note that it best accepts a draw--and the back portion of the green slopes away from front to back.

Second Hole--185 yard Par 3

This hole is a WAY better version of the "carry the water" par 3s that are on the Old Course. Photo is taken from the championship tee--the Member tees are located well right and over the "fairway" of where the photo was taken, so the shot is not all carry.

Interesting to note was that I spoke to the man who dug all the water features on the course--he told me that it was 6000 man hours to build them. That's a lot!

This is no doubt a "Donald Trump" feature--he is seeding the area right of the green all the way down to the creek's edge! This shot was taken just right of the green, a bit short--the higher handicapper that hits a slice right will have the opportunity to NOT lose the ball, and maybe play a pitch through the trees back up near the green.

Third Hole--385 yard Par 4

This was another fantastic hole. Short Par 4 up the hill, semi-blind tee shot to a wide open landing area.

The second. I really liked the use of the shaved off bank areas on this shot.

And again, the green. This is looking back down the fairway from the rear of the slightly elevated green.

Fourth Hole--560 yard Par 5

Another fantastic tee shot. Note the more forward tees before the forced carry to provide the lesser player a chance to get their ball out there.

Second shot. I thought this was a GREAT second shot--no bunkers that come into play--the ones you see are not really a factor in a well struck shot, but just rolling fairway to the green.

Finally, the third from the preferred layup yardage. Narrow green front to back, fairly wide. Just one simple fronting bunker. Excellent, simple, fun shot.

Fifth Hole--500 yards Par 4

Wow is this hole going to be tough. The thing I liked about it, however, was the wide fairway, and the fact that a fairway metal can be hit up the right side, still allowing a relatively benign pitch onto the green. This hole is a MONSTER though after four fairly easier holes. This is when the course really starts to show its teeth.

And the second shot. VERY accommodating to the long iron or fairway metal coming in from the right side.

Sixth Hole--240 yard (+) Par 3

This is how to do a long Par 3, in my estimation. You can run the ball onto the green on this downhill par 3. Reminded me of the 3rd hole of Orinda Country Club (Orinda, CA). There is probably 60 yards of fairway after the illusory cross-carry bunkers are carried.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:45:33 PM by Jed Peters »

Jed Peters

Trump National Bedminster New Course--Pictures and Hole Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
Seventh Hole--420 yard Par 4

This hole will likely be played with a 3 metal down the hill to place the tee shot in the widest part of the fairway. I like how the hole meanders down the hill--although I would have liked it if the architect make the hole a bit less "busy" with its serpentine nature. To me, the vast number of bunkers serve as the "hazard" here on the tee shot.

The second shot is a bit of a breather after the tough tee shot, but still is no slouch.

Eighth Hole--600 yard Par 5

This is the absolute BEST hole on the course in my estimation, and the number of photos I took of it show that. This was one of THE best Par 5 holes I've ever laid eyes on--and the coolest thing about it is that it's just "there". No muss, no fuss--just straight up the hill to a small green.

Here's the tee shot, from the back tee, a 245ish carry to the fairway:

A view from a more forward tee:

Looking back at the tee box:

The FANTASTIC second shot up the hill. Check out the lone tree you have to contend with!!!! I love it.

The third from in front of the tree to the "hidden" green. The cool thing was, this green wasn't sunken in, or requiring a mandatory carry, or any of that--the playing surface was just out of sight of the golfer as you're hitting up hill. The flag will be visible though in all portions of its small (no, tiny) surface.

The tiny green:

And looking back down the fairway.

Ninth Hole--450 yard Par 4

Another fantastic golf hole. Note the native grasses--in speaking with the Assistant Superintendent, they are going to let the long "wispy" grasses grow, while keeping the main grasses down--this will look awesome, be visually intimidating, but still allow for a play out of them.

The bunker on the left is SUPER deep, but there's room out to the right thats not totally obvious to the player off the tee. Makes for a fun tee shot.

Second shot. I like the hill framing the green behind the green--note the fade needed to get it close on this green. The variety of shots required on this course and values provided accordingly are outstanding.

Tenth Hole--185 yards Par 3

Another "carry over water" hole. This is DEFINITELY a theme throughout the entirety of the property. While I'm not a fan, the first two "water carries" on this course are WAY better iterations than on the Old Course in my opinion. I like the fact that the tee is RIGHT on the water, as is the green, and there isn't any elevation changes involved.

Eleventh Hole--600 yard Par 5

Another phenomenal Par 5 in my book. Personally, I think the water feature on the left is unnecessary, but it was explained to me that the reason for all the water on this part of the property was drainage and irrigation.

The green is in the far left of the photo, and the tee shot is a draw at the right trees.

Second shot requires a carry of the bunkers on the right to set up the best angle back to the green. The bunkers are some 190 yard carry from where the photo is taken. There is quite a bit of fairway over them.

The third. Left is dead, but right is just fine, with a small pitch back up onto the green.

George Pazin

Thanks for sharing.

Is the course officially open yet, or did you get a sneak preview?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jed Peters

Holes 12-14 are the "worst" holes on the course, and I'm not too much of a fan IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS COURSE.

While the holes themselves are good, to me they fit in more to the flow of the Old Course. This is probably because the 12th and 13th holes go right up next to the Old Course property, and have the same geological features.

Twelfth Hole 415 yards Par 4

While I like this hole for what it is, I think it can dramatically be improved/made to look like the rest of the holes by removing the front right carry tree, and the two trees just left of the fairway in the photo. This would open up the viewshed and playing corridors and "help" the hole to fit in better. This is about a 240 carry, a common theme. But note that just short of the fairway, like many holes on the New Course is not dead; the player is just not in the fairway yet.

The second shot up the hill into the green.

Looking back from the 12th green to the 13th green, one notices the distinct differences in land that the architect had to work with.

Thirteenth Hole, 360 yard Par 4

This short hole (I thought), while it doesn't fit into the scheme/feeling of the rest of the course (much like 12) was a pretty great hole. The player is forced (somewhat) to hit driver by what they see in their mind's eye. The large bunker at the right is 300 yards out.

Note that if you're too far right (where the player wants to hit the ball) you have to contend with the trees on the right to hit your wedge/short iron onto the green. I really like this use of trees as "hazards" to force the player to shape the shot accordingly.

Another thing I really like about this shot is that it LOOKS like you have to hit over a ravine on the second....

...But looking back from the green shows the there is PLENTY of grass, so one doesn't lose a ball if it's topped. This was one of the coolest design/playability features of the New Course.

And a view of the 13th green.

Fourteen hole 145 yards Par 3

This is the absolute worst hole on the course. I guess that someone wanted an island green here, but that's TOTALLY unnecessary and unneeded.

I was so unhappy/depressed that this hole was placed here, I only took one photo.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:54:32 PM by Jed Peters »

Jed Peters

Fifteenth Hole--510 yards Par 5

This shot calls for a fade off the tee or a hard draw over the right carry bunker. I liked this tee shot, and the use of four tees that run horizontally to each other (viewable in the previous photo), each providing a different "easier" angle to the fairway. This shot is taken from the far right tee, with the toughest angle. Carry bunker is estimated at 260ish, and far right bunker was estimated at 310ish.

The second shot requires a blind draw over the hill on the left. There are two "humps" on the left side hillside--the first by the tree, then the other slightly right and more pronounced. The green sits just over the right side of the tree.

I thought this hole would be MUCH better if the second hump was removed (or shaved down), personally. To be totally honest, I didn't really get this hole. It'd take a couple plays to figure out.

The safe play is a mid iron out to the right, to set up a 100 yard pitch back to the green.

I didn't take a photo of the green.

Sixteenth Hole, 440 yards, Par 4

The 16th hole was back into that nice, open, rolling terrain. Semi-blind tee shot to a very wide fairway. I really liked the tee shot.

This is a view from the cartpath on the left side, looking at the wide fairway and the greensite.

Seventeenth Hole, 400 yards, Par 4

This hole plays BIG tricks with the golfer. The golfer thinks that this hole is one of the longest Par 4s on the course from the view off the tee--but it's actually a mid length/shortish hole.

I thought that the bunker on the left side was a HUGE error on the architects part--it just doesn't fit. I think that the entire right half of the bunker can be grassed in and covered over.

The bunker is an approximately 265ish carry from the back tees.

The reason that I don't like the bunker is due to the fact that this second shot is absolutely FANTASTIC. I love the tiny green, the bunkers surrounding the green, and the fact that you're coming in with a short iron. Just a great shot and green complex.

A view of the super tiny green. I really liked this green, fit with the rest of the course.

Eighteenth Hole, 460 yard Par 4

This hole runs side by side with the 9th, but they both feel isolated and distinct from one another. This is another theme of all of Trump National's golf holes--each hole feels like an individual creation.  First carry bunker is 260 yards to a wide fairway.

I liked the fact that unlike the 9th hole that is best played with a fade into the green, this one is best played with a draw.

Grandstands over the back of the 10th and the 18th holes will be fine places to view tournament play, which is undoubtedly what Donald Trump is going for.  The 18th hole of the Old Course is also about 200 yards right of the 18th of the New Course. The peak of the clubhouse is seen in the distance.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:55:52 PM by Jed Peters »

Jed Peters

Thanks for sharing.

Is the course officially open yet, or did you get a sneak preview?

Sneak preview. Donald Trump hits the first ball August 29th, with member play starting on August 30th.

Jim Colton

You're right about the island green.  It looks completely out of place.  What did your host have to say about it?

Chris_Clouser

Jed,

Are you sure it was Tom Fazio that did the work and not Jim.  I was thinking Jim Fazio was the guy that Trump used on his courses.  He may have switched though. 

Boy that sand sure is white...

Jed Peters

You're right about the island green.  It looks completely out of place.  What did your host have to say about it?

Jim:

My host was not present with me on my tour of the New Course. All thoughts expressed herein are exclusively my own.

Jed Peters

Jed,

Are you sure it was Tom Fazio that did the work and not Jim.  I was thinking Jim Fazio was the guy that Trump used on his courses.  He may have switched though. 

Boy that sand sure is white...

Tommy Fazio is Jim's son.

Tom Fazio designed the "Old Course".

Voytek Wilczak

Am I totally off base saying that the course has a bit of that Bethpage Black feel (minus the island green, of course).

(ducking...)

:)

Jed Peters

Am I totally off base saying that the course has a bit of that Bethpage Black feel (minus the island green, of course).

(ducking...)

:)

Voytek:

I thought that the course fit perfectly with its surroundings for 15 holes, took fantastic elements of many classic courses (such as BPB and Oakmont) and yet had its own distinct "feel" all its own.

I don't think you're that far off--this golf course is THAT good.

Jed Peters

Who decided to bust out the carpenter's level and created what might be the most uniform fairway "coutours" I may have ever seen.  The most unique fairway contour I can see from these pix is on a par 3...

Really?

I thought that there was actually quite a bit of movement than ran with the land in person--much more than with the Old Course.

Of course, the architect didn't do anything radical on this course's grading like on other courses, but I thought the ground and property "flowed" quite nicely.

It certainly isn't like the Old Course, where I felt like I had pretty much a flat lie every time...

I think (to be honest) that you don't really get the feeling that the land moves too much because the golf course (and entire property for that matter!) is just MASSIVE, everything feels HUGE in scale and yet when you're on an individual hole, there is still that intimate feeling.  Interesting perspective, however.

George Pazin

Very few people can capture fairway contours in photos.

I can't imagine one play being enough to say any course is in the class of Bethpage or Oakmont... Such things require time and multiple plays, imho.

And yes, I'll say the same thing about Ballyneal if I ever get to visit my good friend Adam out there. :) (Of course, if I ever make it out there, I will certainly squeeze in multiple plays!! )
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jed Peters

I can't imagine one play being enough to say any course is in the class of Bethpage or Oakmont... Such things require time and multiple plays, imho.

Actually, here's what I wrote:

"I thought that the course fit perfectly with its surroundings for 15 holes, took fantastic elements of many classic courses (such as BPB and Oakmont) and yet had its own distinct "feel" all its own."

Chris_Clouser

Thanks for clearing that up Jed.

George Pazin

Actually, here's what I wrote:

"I thought that the course fit perfectly with its surroundings for 15 holes, took fantastic elements of many classic courses (such as BPB and Oakmont) and yet had its own distinct "feel" all its own."

You left off the "The course is THAT good" part - that certainly implies the connection to me, but hey, I was only teasing anyway; it's natural to be excited about a new find. The pictures look pretty solid to me, I look forward to seeing it in person someday.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:04:29 PM by George Pazin »

Mike_Cirba

Jed,

As someone who repeatedly defended the "Old" course here, I'm curious to know in what areas you feel the "New" course is particularly superior?

It does appear that the par threes are the laggards on each course, however, and I strain to understand the repeated use of the water carry theme.

On the other hand, a number of the holes look quite intriguing and I appreciate you sharing those pictures with us.   I will look forward to learning more.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:40:26 PM by MikeCirba »

SPDB

I don't know.

I can't recall seeing such an effusive review (excepting maybe one of TommyN's
reviews of a Fazio layout, with a decidedly different tone).  But I don't really see
anything in these pictures that is that compelling or deserving of the numerous superlatives.
Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe its just not showing up in the pictures.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:37:57 PM by SPDB »

Jed Peters

Jed,

As someone who repeatedly defended the "Old" course here, I'm curious to know in what areas you feel the "New" course is particularly superior?

It does appear that the par threes are the laggards on each course, however, and I strain to understand the repeated use of the water carry theme.

On the other hand, a number of the holes look quite intriguing and I appreciate you sharing those pictures with us.   I will look forward to learning more.

Thanks!

I thought that the original course was good--but certainly not as good as it was made out to be or how good Mr. Trump proclaimed it to be (to me as well as what I've read).

I could most certainly play the course every day and be entirely happy with it, but again, the course was good, but not great.

As for the new course, the shots themselves were just that much better. I much prefer the rolling, open look that the new course captured, and just as a course like Pacific Dunes captures the essence/feeling of the area surrounding it, the New Course captures that same emotion that this course does.

As for the holes/shots--I also liked the smaller, more defined greens, the more movement/rolling nature of the fairways, the shots that have to be played/are called for, etc.

I don't understand the need to carry water on the three pars either. In fact, the two best par 3 holes on the entire property are the 13th on the Old course and the 4th on the New Course.

Jed Peters

I don't know.

I can't recall seeing such an effusive review (excepting maybe one of TommyN's
reviews of a Fazio layout, with a decidedly different tone).  But I don't really see
anything in these pictures that is that compelling or deserving of the numerous superlatives.
Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe its just not showing up in the pictures.

It may not be showing up in the pictures, or it may just be that the course suited my eye? Or maybe it's because I just came off the Old course and was happy that Donald Trump finally seemed to "get it" with this course?

While I think the course is fantastic, I don't think it's "top 25" in the world (or even country), nor do I think that every hole is good/worthy like at a Pac Dunes, etc. It's not perfect, and I'm clear about that.

But I am a HUGE fan of this new golf course. I was really wowed by it, even if I wasn't "wow'ed" by the Old Course.

Matt_Ward

Jed:

You say the "new" course is a good bit better than the original.

OK.

How so specifically?

The original has plenty of exciting holes and can be tough as a junk yard dog when played from the extreme tees. Just how long is the "new" layout -- I guess it's a par-72 right?

The pictures are superb and I plan on playing there later this season.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. Agree w you on the island green hole -- it's a concept that needs to be 86ed for awhile.

Jed Peters

Jed:

You say the "new" course is a good bit better than the original.

OK.

How so specifically?

I already tried to answer that...check the previous responses.

The original has plenty of exciting holes and can be tough as a junk yard dog when played from the extreme tees. Just how long is the "new" layout -- I guess it's a par-72 right?

Par 72, and our "estimated" yardage was around 7300 yards.

Yes, the original has a lot of exciting holes. Whether I just had the same short iron in my hand, or the same club in my hand on the par 3s, or whatever--I just wasn't that stimulated by the golf course. The caddie thought I should have been playing the gold tees--or even further--and I didn't even play good at all on the course. I had an 87 (I thought I had an 88 until I added it up in my head!) which is a HORRIBLE score, but I didn't really care--it was all about having fun, seeing the course, a nice walk, etc.

And Matt, this year they've built even further back tees--it can now play up to 7900 yards.

Whoa.

Oh, I was stimulated one hole on the Old course--when I aloha pressed on 18 (and it was a LOT of bets since I played like poop).

Funny thing was, like the previous day at Weyhill, every hole that I wanted to/liked I pretty much parred--every hole that was disinteresting to me I doubled. Oh well. :)

Matt_Ward

Jed:

Among all Jersey courses you have played where would you place it?

Among all the courses you have played period where would you place it ?

Thanks ...

Jed Peters

Matt:

First and only course played in Jersey.

Pffft. I live in California, why would I come out there if I didn't HAVE to?

(kidding)

Among all courses I've played? The Old I take it since I didn't play the New?

The old would be up there top 25% of all courses I've ever played. I did have that "I want to go out and play it again" feeling after teeing it up there--albeit I wanted to tee it up from further back.

Would I like to play it again? You bet, in a heartbeat. Would I love to go back? You bet, only this time I'd like to stay on the property for a couple of days and check stuff out--it's a wonderful setting, and I really believe I have to see more of the golf course(s) to properly analyze them from a shot/quality perspective.

Is it the best place I've played? No. Is it the club I'd most want to be a member of in the world? No. But I would be proud to be a member there, and cherish my time there accordingly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back